WakeWorld

WakeWorld (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/index.php)
-   Archive through February 21, 2008 (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=550830)
-   -   Need facts, 05 VLX or 05 or newer 22SSV (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/showthread.php?t=542102)

blondesrule 02-05-2008 7:52 PM

I do not want to start a bashing of boats here, like it always does, but I need to here some solid facts before I make my next purchase, other than what the dealers have to say. I am looking at either an 05 VLX or 05-newer 22SSV. Wake, ride on water, seating, tower, stuff like that. Already read the magazines, need to hear what the owners have to say.

jon_a 02-05-2008 8:03 PM

I will let others comment as I am a dealer myself but I'd also consider a Supra 21V. It is more comparable to the VLX.

wakeboardlasvegas 02-05-2008 8:22 PM

As I have been in both (own a 05 VLX) and tested a brand new 22ssv. I LOVE our boat and so does everyone that rides in it, we dont use the wedge and the wake is plenty big and crisp all the way back. Storage in it is awesome and the bow ballast upfront is a MUST. The wake is alot better with it and we run the weight upfront when going across the lake and it is great in choppy water. <BR> The SSV was nice and has plenty of storage too. the wake is pretty narrow compared to the VLX but you will just have to ride further out. The interior is laid out good but my only complaint was that the windshield was not good for viewing, it was either too low (the seat) or with the bolster seat it was too high( looking over the windshield or had it in your sight). Other then that, I am pretty partial to the VLX but the Supras are nice boats but I think overall its gotta be the VLX. <BR> I do however wish I could ride behind a SSV more to dial it in.

hbguy 02-05-2008 8:24 PM

I love my 05 VLX. No complaints whatsoever. I can't compare it with a 22SSV because I haven't been in one. I have been in a Supra 21V. I was stoked on that boat at first, but when I first sat in it, I didn't feel comfortable in the driver's seat. I felt pinched for space and I am only 6 feet tall.

johnsvt 02-05-2008 8:27 PM

Looked at VLX and 23 LSV. Looking at 22ssv tomorrow let you know what I think.

steve_jones 02-13-2008 8:19 PM

If you have not already bought something.... <BR> <BR>Both are good boats. Unlike Jonny above, I couldn't tell you what any boat handles like in chop cause we don't ride in junk water, but he is right about the seats. <BR> <BR>If you get the Bu, use the wedge to get the true potential - and add 350 to the front, 200 to the middle, and 200 to the rear for the perfect wake. <BR> <BR>I would also give the Supra a shot, as it's pretty nice for the money and they are gaining more respect each year. The 21 is nice. <BR> <BR>It really comes down to personal preference, price, resale value, and after the sale service.

bbr 02-14-2008 8:09 AM

If you are comparing the VLX, then you can't really compare it to the older SSV. It is more like the 21V, in both interior, wake size and shape, and size and design of the boat itself. <BR> <BR>I have owned a 05 SSV, my buddy owns a 05 VLX (21.5 ft), and I now own a 06 21V (which I am selling), so I have a pretty good idea of all.I haven't been in a new 22SSV though. <BR> <BR>I'll admit that I'm a little partial to Supra, however, the Malibu is a great boat. The wakes on all are really nice. The 05 SSV doesn't have near as much storage as either the 21V or the VLX. I also liked that the 21V, and the VLX have a bigger freeboard and you just feel a bit taller sitting in the boat, and not have to worry about taking on water (not that I did). <BR> <BR>On my SSV, once I filled all the ballast the only storage that I had was under the dash, since the lockers were all ballast. On my 21V I have a ton more storage, including the lockers when full with ballast. <BR> <BR>My 21V gets out of the water like NO other boat, when loaded with the same amount of weight. Even my buddy who owns the VLX will tell you that. We roll with about 2800lbs, and I'm up to speed VERY quickly. A nice feature with the Supras, are the wake plate, which you can either mellow out the wake, or make it nice and steep. Very cool. <BR> <BR>Honestly, you should be comparing the VLX to the 21V, and both are great boats and I don't think that you could go wrong with either. Depending on your price range, you will find more 21V's around the 40-45K range, and the VLX's should be around 45K and up. My 21V is for sale, and I have it at a great price (39,750) if you might be interested.