WakeWorld

WakeWorld (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/index.php)
-   Archive through May 25, 2007 (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=455062)
-   -   Replacing a boat floor (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/showthread.php?t=444879)

kalenk 05-07-2007 9:39 AM

within the next few seasons im going to replace my floor... I know how to do it. but I never have. im a virgin. to anyone that has done it. is it hard to do? how long do you think it will take? and when we are done does it mean we are dating?

malibuboarder75 05-07-2007 10:40 AM

Go to Correctcraftfan.com and do a search on 'skibum' this guy has completely redone his nautique. <BR> <BR>Definately dont rush the project. It will probably take a good week or 2 to complete. Make sure you research all of the materials you use.

jpshaff01 05-07-2007 10:42 AM

I have never done it but if your floor is bad its not a good sign for your stringers and other wood.

tarkus70 05-08-2007 5:58 PM

I replaced the floors in my 89 Centurion and it was a long project but when it was done it was a real feeling of accomplishment. Iwould do it again if I had to. Take lots of pics before you start and keep track of what you do. Just so if you ever sell you can impress with pics. I did not use wood I used Ta sacks (sp?). It was fun. So I say go for it. as far as stringers check them out most times they are OK the floor rots from everyone getting in the boat wet.

mkperceptions 05-08-2007 8:11 PM

I replaced the stringer section where the motor and trans were in my 84 centurion with sea cast, and did the floor in 3/4 ply and glassed the whole thing in. definately a two week project but man it felt soooooooo good

malibuboarder75 05-08-2007 8:16 PM

Rick, is that Seacast stuff any good. I am too scared it will suck after 10 years. I am having a sample sent to my house.

mkperceptions 05-08-2007 10:40 PM

Oh the sea cast stuff is the sh*t. Better than wood, the only thing that i caution is to drill the proper holes for your mount bolts and give it plenty of time to cure and set. I also used lag bolts as anchors and drove them into the rear and forward part of the stringer to tie it all together. motor was solid as a rock. Then all you have to do once it is in there at the same level as the stringers were before is glass over it. This is where it sucks because you have to glass over and over and over and over and over again sheet by sheet. I cheated and after ten sheets I used kitty hair to fill it in then ran about 5 more strips over that. All in all it looked awesome, no one could tell and it held just fine. Man i still have some of that stuff left hahaha, i wonder if it is any good still. Maybe i will make a seacast ice chest holder hahaha

malibuboarder75 05-09-2007 5:32 AM

I heard it is real rubbery, is that true? <BR> <BR>It doesnt seem like the worst idea, but does seem like a huge short cut to replacing everything. Everyone I know who has used was either happy or pissed.

mkperceptions 05-09-2007 11:03 AM

no it is not rubbery in any way unless you dont wait for it to cute LOL. its hard as a rock

malibuboarder75 05-09-2007 11:08 AM

What is the history on the stuff? Does it last for long periods. I am still contimplating using it.

mkperceptions 05-09-2007 11:43 AM

i talked to who bought my old boat and they said it is still holding just fine

malibuboarder75 05-09-2007 8:51 PM

Do you have any pics of the project?