WakeWorld

WakeWorld (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/index.php)
-   Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3183)
-   -   Blown Exhaust Hose (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/showthread.php?t=792819)

jhartt3 04-16-2012 4:59 PM

Blown Exhaust Hose

I have a 1995 Hydrodyne with a PCM Proboss GT40 engine. Yesterday when we were out we ran it for a good 20 mins starting and stopping to pickup fallen boarder. Then when we switched boarders. we started it to get away from shore while the boarder was getting ready. Tried to start again and it would start. Tried a couple more times. Battery died.

I put the battery on a trickle charger last night and fully charged it. Went out today. Put the battery in. It started up just fine. Got 30 yards away from the dock and it died. Noticed smoke coming from the engine compartment. Turned out it was a blow exhaust hose.

Do i have a water cooling problem. I cant imagine it happened that quickly. I dont think the exhaust was clogged b/c it was taking on water after the hose blew.

I dont know the engine temp b/c i didnt look at it. Could it just be an old hose? Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Raf1985 04-16-2012 5:28 PM

Could be an old/rotten hose. Best way to find out is replace it and watch the temp. Maybe run it with a hose at home to make sure water is coming out the exhaust.

jhartt3 04-16-2012 5:50 PM

The other thing. It wouldnt restart after it died on me. I just called the former owner and he had never replaced the exhaust hose. So i would bet they hadnt been replaced since its been new in 1995. How thick are the hoses because this one seemed to be about a quarter thick meaning the thickness of the coin.

jhartt3 04-16-2012 5:52 PM

at least where it blew out thats how thick it was. seemed pretty flimsy

bftskir 04-16-2012 9:49 PM

Exactly which hose are you talking about? the big 3 or 4 inch after the exh manifolds/risers that leads out the transom flappers? I don't think that would have anything to do with motor not running. plus they are pretty thick so I am not sure which hoses you are talking about. Pics?

jhartt3 04-17-2012 4:49 AM

The big 3- 4in hose after the risers

bftskir 04-17-2012 10:47 AM

you need to isolate the various problems you are having. obviously you need to replace the blown hose. you need to run the boat to determine if you have a overheating condition/check impeller, just take things one at a time and eliminate them, the dead battery may or may not be a factor/symptom of another problem. a good place to find out about the proboss gt40 is on CCF fan, those guys know those engines better than they know their own wives.

cadunkle 04-17-2012 3:05 PM

Replace all the rubber exhaust ports you can get to (if one went, the others likely aren't far behind) and replace the impeller and thermostat for cheap insurance if you haven't already this season. Start on hose and verify good water flow, monitor temp and watch for leaks. Could just be an older hose getting some dry rot and let go.

jhartt3 04-18-2012 10:15 AM

Yep thats what i'm doing i think what happened was the inside lining deteriorated. which blocked the exhaust... which lead to increased pressure and heat on the outer lining that eventually blew out.

tx_foilhead 04-18-2012 11:32 AM

If the inside lining is deformed then it has probably been cooked before. When you replace the impeler check for all the blades that are missing, they usually end up by the thermostat and if not removed they will continue to cause you overheating issues. Although it doesn't sound like you over heated it for very long, it may have started the first day so be cautious the next time out. 20 yards from the shore should be no issue with the heat, if it ran until it over heated to the point it would start the day before then there may be some internal damage.

More GT40 info on PN, we like carbs and wood on CCF, much easier to do mods that way.