WakeWorld

WakeWorld (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/index.php)
-   Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3183)
-   -   What prop / s for 09 Epic 23V at 6K feet and 3700 feet (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/showthread.php?t=793813)

porsche 06-08-2012 12:04 AM

What prop / s for 09 Epic 23V at 6K feet and 3700 feet

My friend just picked up an Epic 23V from Augusta Ga and we will be riding at riding at rifle gap in Colorado, 6000 feet, and lake Powell, 3700 feet. Does anyone have experence with different props for an Epic 23V at elevation? Would the standard prop, an OJ 14 X14.25 four blade, preform well at 3700 feet? Any input would be greatly apreciated. Anyone in Denver have a Epic 23V and what prop are you running?
Thanks in advance

rallyart 06-08-2012 12:33 AM

At 3700' you are down about 15% on power. At 6000' your boat is down over 20% on power due to the thinner air. The quick answer is to lower your prop pitch by 20% to give you a similar torque to what you would get at sea level which would be a standard prop pick. That means going from a 14 pitch to an 11 pitch for the Colorado altitude. At 11" pitch you might be better with a three blade than a four.
Quick theories are often not real life though. If you can find someone who runs the boat at Powell, in Colorado or at Lake Tahoe you will get the best guess. It will be 12.5" or lower if stock is 14". The folks at OJ and Acme can give you god information and might exchange a prop you buy if it is not right.

porsche 06-14-2012 12:07 AM

Thanks, for the advice. I was hoping to find some one who had an epic in denver to give me advice, but I had never thought abut tahoe.
thanks for the advice

timmyb 06-14-2012 7:48 AM

There's only 2 Epics in the Denver/Colorado area that I have seen and one belongs to my buddy Eppie. He's still running the stock prop on his boat and it does ok. He has had some issues when he loads the boat up with 10+ people and full ballast but other than that it seems to do fine. It did awesome at Lake Powell.

HighVoltage 06-15-2012 1:48 PM

I would suggest the stock prop. Yeah you will be down on HP due to the altitude but that engine has more power than you need in the first place.

The RPM vs. Speed should be the same, maybe turn up your acceleration rate on the launch control.

Eppies07epic 06-16-2012 9:15 PM

Patrick, I have a 23' Epic. Timmy is right, the only time I'ver had an issue is with 10 adults or more with full ballasts. It planed out, just took a little bit to do so. I don't know how much ballast you need, or your skill level but in my opinion....full in front and 1/2 to 1/4 in the rear is the best wakeboard wake. Surfing? No prob! I do have the stock prop. At Powell the boat did fine. If you have any questions I.M. me, I'll do my best to help out. I have a good relationship with the people at Epic. By the way got a phone call from one of the owners of Epic today and we may have a dealer here in Colorado, FINALLY!! So If you have anyone else intrested in Epic let me know I'll get you in touch with them.