WakeWorld

WakeWorld (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/index.php)
-   Wakeboarding Discussion (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Spring Suit or Wet Suit Jacket (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/showthread.php?t=791320)

JoLo_Si 01-04-2012 6:34 AM

Spring Suit or Wet Suit Jacket

I live in Orlando so with the proper attire I can ride pretty much all year long but I'm not sure what to get. I like the simplicity of a pull over wet suit jacket but will I be warm enough in 60 degree weather? I'm thinking a long sleeve spring suit will be better when it's actually cold but won't get as much use when it's just cool outside. Any experience?

irishrider92 01-04-2012 7:15 AM

Nah doubt a jacket will be enough for 60 degrees. Especially for you floridians. I'd go for a LS shortie or even just a regular shortie. Its not gonna be uncomfortably hot when its just cool and you can strip it off if its too warm to sit there in it. Take a look here;
http://www.billabong.com/us/product-.../spring-suit#_
If you want something that'll be lighter and will dry quicker check out the SGX, if you want something warmer for the colder months, look at the foil. It has some of the features of the steamers like the furnace lining and the dry entry but is still lightweight and not too thick. Personally I'd go for the foil because at 60 degrees it'll be kinda on the chilly side but the features of the foil will make it feel warmer than just a plain ls shortie.
http://store.billabong-usa.com/produ...00828570080976

you_da_man 01-04-2012 8:27 AM

I have the Hyperflex Amp long sleeve spring suit and I'm very impressed with it. It has the pullover chest zip instead of a back zip. It does not "flush" with water easily so you don't freakout when the cold water gets to your skin. It takes about a minute for you to start to feel the water in your torso. It's also a very reasonably priced suit with taped and sealed seams. Avoid glued and stitched suits...always taped and sealed. I wore mine down to 62 degrees without issue and did multiple sets.

stephan 01-04-2012 9:51 AM

I prefer a long sleeve spring, heater shirts have always bugged me as they ride up and really just keep the wind off you. Be sure to go into a shop and try on as many LS Springs as possible. I ended up with an O'Neill and it is likely the most comfortable thing I've ever worn. In CA its awesome for spring/fall and I also use it for the early 6am rides in the summer. Best $120 I ever spent.

austin 01-04-2012 10:24 AM

Here's my personal opinion which I posted in another thread:
Quote:

I'm super skinny, so I get cold really easily in water compared to everyone else. I have a 3/2 fullsuit, but I find that just a heater top is generally the way to go. My upper body is what tends to get cold, and the fullsuit is just too inconvenient to be worth it. For temperatures where the family/friends/acquaintances I ride with are willing to sit in the boat, the heater top is sufficient and fullsuit is overkill. If the temps were cold enough for me to think the inconvenience of the fullsuit was worthwhile, then no-one I know would be willing to ride in the boat.

TL;DR Unless you have riding buddies who are willing to wear coats, pants, and hats in the boat, then you probably don't need anything more than a heater top in my experience.

tampawake 01-04-2012 10:30 AM

I would get both. But if I had to choose between the two long sleeve shorty. I live in Tampa.

clarkduh 01-05-2012 3:53 PM

I mainly ride cable in Tampa and I have my board shorts or my full suit. Board shorts dry quickly as long as the sun stays out and my full suit is only for those really cold days where you question whether or not its worth riding to begin with. I don't ride much boat nowadays but I don't recall being in the water for that long before being pulled out again. It always depends on the person and their tolerance of cold water/temperature. If I am at the cable with intentions of trying new tricks with a high chance of crashing often, it's worth it to wear the full suit as long as it stays wet and keeps me warm. Even if I plan on having a relaxed day and just hitting rails with maybe a few falls but staying out there for a while, my full suit dries out and it ends up making me colder. I would usually just bear the chilly swims on the hopefully few falls I take and just sport my board shorts most days. Staying warm is pretty easy if you can make yourself hit every obstacle every lap. It keeps you warm if you stay busy and keeps your mind of the fact that your freezing! That being said, I enjoy when it gets colder here as its a change to the days where it's 90+ degrees air and the water feels hotter which is not even enjoyable. I did wear my full suit today as the water was pretty darn cold since it has been in 20s-30's past few nights but with a forecast in the 70's for the week ahead. Board shorts all day baby!! :D And don't get me started on board shorts over full suit debate :banghead:

seth 01-05-2012 10:43 PM

I also have the Hyperflex Amp LS spring suit and it is awesome. I got it off of Seshday for $80. I would say any LS spring over WS jacket all day long. I live in CA and only ride boat though. Those jackets are a waste of time though. They ride up and let cold water in constantly so you never get that warm layer.