WakeWorld

WakeWorld (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/index.php)
-   Website Feedback, Suggestions, Problems, Etc. (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=776965)
-   -   WW mobile (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/showthread.php?t=777291)

hockeysk8er222 03-07-2010 4:35 PM

WW mobile

I know I brought this up awhile back, but now it really needs attention. Now that there is so much flash on this site, A: it takes forever to load, and B: all of the flash stuff is not working. So maybe make a version that is similar to the old site but with groups and friends and stuff, or make this same site without the flash(if that is possible).

brainrinse 03-07-2010 5:23 PM

x2

ironj32 03-07-2010 5:42 PM

x3. i also brought this up in the "wish list" thread a while back. my iphone won't load this site at all.

nuckledragger 03-07-2010 7:03 PM

It works ok on my droid but takes forever to load. If I touch the wrong link, I go into page loading hell. I check the site more on my phone than my laptop. Probably not at the top of Daves list but would def be nice

beretta5spd 03-07-2010 8:19 PM

x4 on my blackberry

eubanks01 03-08-2010 6:52 AM

I think just having a mobile version of the forums would be awesome! I could see doing the whole site as a huge headache but starting with the forums might be doable??

andy_nintzel 03-08-2010 7:11 AM

Agreed. Something with little to no Flash would be great. A lite site if you will. Really I dont care all the much about the main page, just being able to get into the forums nice and lite would be cool.

venom93corba 03-08-2010 7:59 AM

Huh . . . on my iphone when I goggled Wake World it brought up their site and at the end of the link it had an OPTIONS button. When I hit that it gave the option of a MOBILE version. The mobile version IS a condensed version without all the flash. So it worked great for me but for some reason I couldnt find anywhere to login so I couldnt post, weird.

ironj32 03-08-2010 12:24 PM

MONEY! Didn't realize you could access a mobile version through the options drop down. However, I'm having trouble logging is as well.

hockeysk8er222 03-08-2010 7:05 PM

The purpose of the mobile formatted version is defeated if you can't log in... Dave, your opinion?

wakeworld 03-08-2010 7:39 PM

I have no idea what mobile format you've found since we have not come up with one yet, so I can't really help you there. There are some apps that you can download to your phone to view vBulletin discussion boards. I'm looking at some now and I believe I can add an add-on to the site that will let you use one of these programs to browse and post to the discussion board. This is not at the top of my list right now, but it's certainly something we'll be looking at in the future. If anybody has any experience with these phone apps, I'd love to get your feedback.

venom93corba 03-09-2010 7:24 AM

Dave you should take a poll of how many people use their phone to use your site (or your old site). I think your gonna be surprised. I use my phone more than my CPU.

hockeysk8er222 03-09-2010 1:17 PM

I am on my iPod 80% of the time that I use this site...

wakeworld 03-09-2010 7:10 PM

I can appreciate the fact that many people use their mobile phones to access the site and that we'll want to improve that access when we can, but if you're suggesting that I stop working on the "regular" WakeWorld and start concentrating on a mobile version, I'm going to have to disagree with you. Our first priority is to get the desktop version of WakeWorld dialed in.

hockeysk8er222 03-09-2010 8:39 PM

^^^^^^Agreed.... I wasn't trying to push that on as first priority, just another thing to go on the to-do list...

wakeworld 03-09-2010 8:41 PM

It's definitely on the to-do list. I'm an iPhone addict too!

venom93corba 03-09-2010 9:47 PM

Dave I didn't mean to imply that by any means. You do a hell of a job on the site keep up the good work.

As a side note to everyone if you can get by the home screen and get to the forums and bookmark it there it works like a charm on the phone. Also I've switched to the Droid today and can say I haven't ran I into any problems.

litlone873 03-12-2010 9:34 AM

lookin forward to an app for the discussion boards OR... another way to assist in discussions by mobile is to have a feature where you can reply to a thread via email. I know its available with some of the other forum formats, not sure if vBulletin has that plugin.

dave23 03-17-2010 10:54 AM

Isn't this a vbulletin forum now? If anyone has a iphone, blackberry or android phone they should check out this app and see if it works for wakeworld. The lite version allows you to read forums and the full version allows you to post, etc...... Someone should check it out and report back here if it works or not!

http://www.vbulletin.org/forum/showthread.php?t=208412

venom93corba 03-17-2010 11:03 AM

I just downloaded the lite version for my Droid and did a search and Wake World was not found : (

03-17-2010 11:16 AM

vbulletin comes with a plugin that will let you view the forums on a mobile platform without having to install any additional application onto your phone.

litlone873 03-17-2010 12:08 PM

based on the website David Eggen sent, Dave Williams would have to install a plugin to make it work with the app. This would be good for users who follow other forums using vBulletin.