WakeWorld

WakeWorld (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/index.php)
-   Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3183)
-   -   Xstar Fly High Ballast Upgrade (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/showthread.php?t=749315)

snowslider76 11-29-2009 8:36 AM

I just bought an 06 Xstar with factory ballast. I want to put the flyhigh x series upgrade into it. I've been talking with the dealership they do it pretty reasonable but I wanted to see if anyone has done it themselves. Mostly because I have all winter. <BR> <BR>The dealer told me they reprogram the pumps so they don't time out and do it a little different than flyhigh sets it up, the do it so the stock tanks fill first then fill the bags. Anyone set theirs up like this? How hard is it to reprogram the pumps? <BR> <BR>The area's where you need to cut into the stock hose, it that in the back near the pumps or somewhere else? Is everything you do pretty accessible or do you have to pull a lot of the boat apart? <BR> <BR>Anyone know where I can find the flyhigh instructions online? <BR> <BR>I'm no stranger to working on my boat but I don't like working in small spaces and working on things blind, is there a lot of that? <BR> <BR>Any help or suggestions would be great.

dohboy 11-29-2009 9:30 AM

I added the fly high in my X2 a couple months ago. It took about a day due to running to the hardware store for fittings way too many times. There are some threads on here, do a search. This is what I followed. <BR><a href="http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=25491" target="_blank">http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=25491</a>

snowboardcorey 11-29-2009 10:08 AM

You can def. do it yourself. I don't like the shut off valves that come with the Fly High system, they would be cool if there was an additional setting which allowed you to fill both tank and bag without getting up to switch them, I like the straight overflow setup the best. The rear tank set up is pretty straight forward, the front KGB can be a little tougher to tie into, it seems like its a little more difficult install the lines without twisting them. <BR> <BR>If your pumps have timers on them you will need to reprogram them or pull the A.I. box out and have the system hardwired (my fav set up)

talltigeguy 11-29-2009 1:00 PM

Your 2006 probably does not have timers on them. My 2006 X45 does not, so double check that. Maybe someone else can chime in who knows if the star was different. <BR> <BR>I did this for my X45. Do it yourself, I thought it was a piece of cake. Depending on where your pumps are mounted, I don't think you need the valves. I can't imagine why I would need them and they seem to be a pricey part of the install.

jeff_mn 11-29-2009 4:32 PM

I will drink beer and shout instructions while you dig around under there.

snowslider76 11-30-2009 9:20 AM

Thanks guys looks like this is going to be my winter project. <BR> <BR>Rich thanks for the link that looks super helpful. <BR> <BR>Corey, thanks for the heads up, when I said dealer I did mean you guys over at Midwest, I'm trying to figure out how you guys do it that's different from Flyhighs set up. I understand the concept of the overflow set up but how would I figure out where to tie all this stuff in? I can reprogram the pumps for a maxium of 6 minutes it sounds like but I'm not sure if that's enough(or if they even have timers I guess). What exactly is an AI box? Hardwired sounds like the way to go. Corey did you work at Crystal Ski back in the 90's I bought my first wakeboard from you if you did? <BR> <BR>Talltigeguy my pumps are mounted behind the motor to the very back of the boat they are really easy to get to. I'm not sure how easy it's going to be to get to the fittings on the tanks in the back though.

mattscraft 11-30-2009 9:57 AM

'06 No timers! Hardest item to find are the schedule 80 elbows, I found them at Ace hardware, Home Depot and Lowes here (OH) did not have them.

snowboardcorey 11-30-2009 11:17 AM

Jason, yeah that was me at Crystal Ski! Hopefully I did you right on the board. <BR> <BR>I'm not sure but I think John might have some better instructions for you. Give him an email at <a href="mailto:john@waterskis.com">john@waterskis.co m</a> he's our online guy so he's pretty busy this time of year but if we have a copy he'd know where it is. <BR> <BR>The AI box is what controls the ballast timers. I don't think your boat has timers which means its already hardwired to run as long as the switch is on.

snowslider76 11-30-2009 12:14 PM

I think you gave me a great deal on the board like $150 for the whole set up. It was a blind side something I can't remember, that thing had like zero rocker. Wow have I spent a lot on wakeboarding since the intial $150 investment!!! <BR> <BR>Do you guys work on commish on the Flyhigh system? If so I'll grab it from you. Does flyhigh ever go on sale I know you guys just did 10% off, would I get a better deal at the show in January? <BR> <BR>I'll email John thanks!

snowboardcorey 11-30-2009 1:43 PM

No commish on my side of the deal, John knows the most about the install side of things so I'd work with him on it. I'm not sure what deals we'll run for the boat show as I work on the boat side of the store. I do know that we are moving our booth a little closer to the entrance and to the slide jam that will be there. Looks like a pretty good selection of boats including a new model!!! <BR> <BR>Zero rocker Blindside? Prolly a DT2 if it was mid 90's or a Session if it was late 90's. Glad to see you're still riding man, my first set got me hooked too. I started working at Crystal Ski because they sold snowboards, the owner took me out wakeboarding my first week there and like snowboarding I was hooked.

talltigeguy 11-30-2009 4:10 PM

My Lowe's had the elbows, so I would still start there. <BR> <BR>I have a nice file with pics of the install that I got from a guy at TMCOWNERS.com. Shoot me a PM and it nicely goes through where to put the new fittings and sacks. The rear is a piece of cake, just hook them into the overflow of the hard tanks. You do not have to mess with the tanks' intake hose, just the overflow.

snowslider76 11-30-2009 9:02 PM

Corey, thanks for the help I've been in contact with John he has been a big help. I'm stoked for the slider jam it's about time we got something like that at the boat show!! Is it going to be local guys or are any pros swinging through? New model hmmmm!!! I'm stoked to see the 2010 stuff. You and my girl Angie had a long chat at the boat show last year if you remember her, skinny hawt blond. <BR> <BR>The BS had some rocker I remember it just being super flat, I made a bench out of the thing it was prolly the DT2, it was green with like a diamond checker pattern but I painted over it. I actually bought a few boards from you out of crystal a Pimp Model Neptune and a 5150 snowboard,prolly some others I dropped a lot of cash in that place, ah the good ol days. <BR> <BR>Talltigeguy I'm shooting you a PM.

zorro 12-01-2009 5:13 AM

Talltigeguy I also shoot you a PM. <BR>I would be really interested too.

snowboardcorey 12-01-2009 10:02 AM

J, were you there with Angie? If so I think you and I spoke breifly too. <BR> <BR>I'm not totally sure who's riding the slide jam, my minds been a little hazy lately. My wife and I just had our first baby and its been pretty crazy around our house!

snowslider76 12-01-2009 6:53 PM

Corey, Yep I was there with Ang, we did talk for a second or two. <BR> <BR>Congrats on the new babers!! They are so much fun(you can catch up on sleep when they go to college), I'm hoping to get Angie's daughter Avery up on the surf next season, she just turned four. She spends a ton of time out in the boat with us, we'll have to hook up and ride next year. Avery loves babies and would be stoked to have one along for the ride on the boat. I thought Ang said you guys tired to set up some riding time before. Ang and Avs are just as stoked on the Xstar as I am it's awesome!! <BR> <BR>I have a pretty decent group of WW's I ride with too, we just had a lunch with 7 of us last week and 5 of us have boats it's pretty dope. I usually ride on Fish in MG weekdays and just pull the boat to work and head straight to the lake after. I'm sure you don't have a shortage of people to ride with tho working at Midwest. <BR> <BR>Does Midwest change out the prop most times when installing the Flyhigh? I know my boat has an OJ with a different pitch from factory but I don't know how to tell what the pitch is and the previous owner couldn't remember, is there a way to look at it and tell? I have the 350, and the previous owner switched props bc he was running the boat at altitude and needed the get up. <BR> <BR>Would you add any additional weight to the boat besides the flyhigh? 60% of the time it's just Ang, Avs and I in the boat, they don't exactly add xtra ballast. Would I want a bag on the seat for surfing or anything? I ride normal speed 24.5, not sure what length I'll ride behind the star yet. I'm coming off a totally dropped Malibu, 3500 lbs plus wedge and would be stoked to have the biggest wake in MN ha ha. <BR> <BR>I def owe you a pull for all these questions!

snowboardcorey 12-02-2009 8:57 AM

Thanks man, the baby is pretty cool. I'm starting to learn how to function on about half as much sleep as I used to get but I guess thats what coffee is for! I've met Avery a couple of times, super cute and loves to jump off of everything! <BR> <BR>For sure we'll hook up next summer. I usually ride on Rice Lake in MG, my buddy has a 2000 X-Star out there and with no public boat launch its almost always glass. The water is SUPER green, but thats the trade off for not fighting wallies I guess. <BR> <BR>You can check which prop you have by looking at the side facing the rear of the boat. If the guy was running at altitude it will prolly work perfect for your ballast upgrade setup. I usually run a 14.25x14 or so on that boat, a 14.25x14.5 will usually do the trick too but with a little less hole shot. <BR> <BR>I've seen some guys throw an extra fat sac in the walkway in addition to what you'll be running but I usually just run the Fly High kit all the way full, 24 or so mph. Can't remember the rope length though prolly 70-75 feet. I know Eric at the shop here rides 84 feet, I don't have the skills for that. <BR> <BR>Tell the girls I say hi and no worries on the Q's, it keeps me sane over the winter.

snowslider76 12-02-2009 3:01 PM

Ha yep that's Avers she's like a jumping bean in a boat. <BR> <BR>Sweet I always wanted to ride Rice cause it's always butter, does your bro want to rent me some dock space ha ha. <BR> <BR>I'll check my prop thanks! <BR> <BR>I'll say hi and I'm sure we'll see you at the show.

fbroen 12-02-2009 8:09 PM

"Anyone know where I can find the flyhigh instructions online? " <BR> <BR>The "official" instructions can be found on the fly high site: <BR> <BR><a href="http://www.fatsac.com/PDFs/X_Star%20Aditional%20Ballast.pdf" target="_blank">http://www.fatsac.com/PDFs/X_Star%20Aditional%20Ballast.pdf</a> <BR> <BR>Congrats on new boat. <BR> <BR>I did it myself but with different Y-valves in the back and a tee in the bow to split the fill/empty line rather than filling through one bag to the other, and no check valves. Works really well. <BR> <BR>Oh, and the green impellers stopped the (stock and add-on) siphoning issues on our '08 Star. <BR> <BR>(Message edited by fbroen on December 02, 2009)

talltigeguy 12-03-2009 12:10 PM

FB, <BR>The first pic on those instructions is so stupid that I cannot beleive that they have it posted that way. <BR> <BR>The Jabsco pumps will form a vaccuum when draining in the port bag and the tank and starboard bag will not empty. I nearly imploded my KGB tank thanks to hooking it up that way. You are exactly right to put the T in the front and that solved my issue.

x45er 12-09-2009 6:26 PM

I used the fly high valves except on the output of the valve for the fly high bags are reversed. For example, the port valve directs water in the port tank in one position and the stb fly high in the other. So if your surfing set port valve to port tank and stb valve to port fly high. Turn on stb and port pumps. Faster fill, Faster empty....for surfing anyway.

ironj32 12-10-2009 4:51 AM

Jason - if you're a wake feind you can definitely go with more weight than just the flyhigh upgrade. in the '08 XStar i rode a few times this past summer we'd do the upgraded flyhigh kit, plus two additional 750's in the back floor and the walk way. on top of that we had about 5 adults in it as well. <BR> <BR>tell Ang and Avery that Jay says high...i bought my current boat from them a few years ago.

snowslider76 12-10-2009 6:32 AM

Jay, Ryan Anderson and I are good friends we rode a lot last year so I heard all about your crazy dropped star. Thinking I want to go the same way, just figuring out what to do. We'll have to ride some next year, Ang may want to get out in her old whip. <BR> <BR>I'll tell um Hola.