WakeWorld

WakeWorld (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/index.php)
-   Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3183)
-   -   Trailer overall width (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/showthread.php?t=797918)

dyost 05-03-2013 12:55 AM

Trailer overall width

Hey all,

So I'm in process of building a house, and I had the garage depth extended, door headers raised, and third stall garage door widened to accomodate the boat I don't even own yet.....

My question is this, did I give myself enough room?

Third garage stall will be 35 ft deep (no prob there), Door height is 8ft, and Door width will be 9ft.

My target boat would be an older SAN210, 205V hull or X1, or Malibu VLX, any of these boats from 2004 to 2007, or whatever I can afford in two years when the kiddos are old enough to justify the boat.

I'm guessing beam on most these boats would be 90-96"? What would overall trailer width on something like this be? I know most places legal limit is 102" or 8'6". In that case I would have only 3" to spare on either side of my door....

For anyone that has one of the models listed, or a boat of similar size, what is your overall trailer width?

My buddy with a 2009 X-Star says his trailer measures exactly 8'6" and that 8' height is no prob with tower folded down. I don't anticipate ever owning anything that big.

What are your thoughts? Is my $5000 garage upgrade going to be enough? Footings are in and forms are set, so really can't back out now...

Thanks for any re-assurrance
-dy

markj 05-03-2013 2:10 AM

9' wide will work but 10' would be so much better. If you have a straight approach, you'll be fine.

rallyart 05-03-2013 6:54 AM

Maximum legal width varies by state but is generally 8'6". Door dimensions bigger in al directions is always a plus.

you_da_man 05-03-2013 7:24 AM

Don't forget totake the trailer guide poles into consideration (although they can be adjusted)

05-03-2013 7:26 AM

It'll be a tight squeeze backing in. I hope you don't have to take it at an angle.

saberworks 05-03-2013 8:37 AM

I went with a 10' wide door and even though I have a relatively small boat (sanger v210) I still only have a few inches on each side because of the trailer guide poles. Also I believe 10' is the rough opening, and I have 2x8 or something white wood around the door, plus the rubber door seal, so the actual opening isn't a full 10'.

john211 05-03-2013 9:38 AM

You want 11 feet. I've got a Nautique in the years you mention. My garage is 10' (more like 9'11'' or so). My goalposts are 9'8''. It has never been fun to back it in, or, pull it forward.

The 102 inch limit is largely misunderstood. The Feds do not require the States to issue special permits for anything under 102 inches. As best as I can tell in Missouri, the state regulations really don't speak to special one-time permits until the width is 12 feet, and, the regulations have rules for widths all the way up to 16 feet. I believe I have seen wider (it looked like a section of a cracking tower for a refinery, and it was laid on three low deck trailers linked together, and was towed and pushed by semi tractors in both the front and the back, as well as was accompanied by 5 auxiliary vehicles blocking all highway ON ramps as the rig approached).

Here's a statement of the federal rule.

Re 102 inches.

WIDTH REQUIREMENTS
The maximum width limit for CMVs [Commercial Motor Vehicles, namely buses and freighters] on the NN [National Network] and reasonable access routes was originally established at 102 inches, except for Hawaii where it is 2.74 m (108 inches). (See discussion of Reasonable Access on page 12.) To standardize vehicle width on an international basis, the 102-inch width limit was interpreted to mean the same as its approximate metric equivalent, 2.6 meters (102.36 inches) (Figure 1).

Federal width limits do not apply to special mobile equipment, which consists of self-propelled vehicles not designed or used primarily for the transportation of persons or property and only incidentally moved over the highways. Special mobile equipment includes the following, when moving under their own power: military or farm equipment; instruments of husbandry; road construction or maintenance machinery; and emergency apparatus, including police and fire emergency equipment. Federal rules do not require States to issue overwidth permits before allowing operation of special mobile equipment. However, if States wish to allow other vehicles more than 102 inches wide (i.e. non-special mobile equipment) to operate on the NN [National Network], then States must issue special overwidth permits.

[Emphasis supplied.]

http://ops.fhwa.dot.gov/freight/publ...egs_final_rpt/

paulharenberg 05-03-2013 9:56 AM

For comparison, my 2005 Malibu Iride (same size and width as a vlx up to 04') with 93.5" beam on the standard boatmate trailer, with guides I need 102", I back into a 9' wide garage by 7' high (T3 tower folded is roughly 80"),

Will you be putting in the garage all the time or only in the winter? It would be easier at 10, but 9 is certainly doable. If you do it every weekend you will get very good at it.

davenk 05-10-2013 9:32 AM

My boat measures 9'4" at the racks. My racks do not rotate. Guide posts measure 9'2" I had a similar problem recently looking for storage. 1 unit had a 10' door but with framing and finish trim mentioned above, opening was 9'4". No Go for me. I may remove racks and guide posts for winter storage there if needed but definitely a pain to mess with racks and posts every time we go out. This will be very problematic if you can not back straight in. My last storage and next garage will be 12' wide door just to avoid hassle of being tight.