WakeWorld

WakeWorld (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/index.php)
-   Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3183)
-   -   Amp for MB-8 and Pro 80's (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/showthread.php?t=753815)

colombiansurfer 12-31-2009 6:47 AM

I know this has prob been discussed before, but I need a quick answer for which amp(s) to use with these tower speakers. Please no outside amps like Kicker, Alpine, etc... Amps in questioned is one SYN 4, two SYN 2's or one SYN 6. The new 2010 MB-8's is 150 RMS 300 Peak and the Pro 80's are 200 RMS and 400 Peak. I will use the WS-420 to control the volume of the tower vs. interior.

wakebrdjay 12-31-2009 7:53 AM

Syn-6 I would say,look at their website they have the best combos for each amp listed in the amp descriptions.

wetsounds1 12-31-2009 7:58 AM

Pootie, <BR> <BR>Best option is the SYN-6 since it can do the staggered power. It will be 200x2 and 155x2. Match RMS across. Next option would be the SYN-2. It will do 350x2 so 175x2. Little more RMS on the MB-8 which is no problem at all and little less on the 80 which is fine because you still have good power and close to the RMS. <BR> <BR>Two SYN-2 would be the more power of the bunch doing 200x2 to the 80's and 200x2 to the MB-8's. But that would not be a ton more than the SYN-6. If budget is not a concern and two amps is not an issue. Then opt for the two SYN-4 over the two SYN-2. In 2 ch mode you will be 400x2 for each. Giving a ton of power. Not that you need it but when running more power than needed on speakers. It allows you to gain headroom. Resulting in increased dynamics and more efficiency. As the amp does not have to work as hard. <BR> <BR>So always try to either get as close to matched RMS ratings of the amp and the speakers at the given load or if budget allows, run more power than needed and just watch the set up to ensure you are not overdriving the system. <BR> <BR>By the way, you will LOVE the 2010 MB-8's. They are a completely re designed speaker with new driver and new crossover. So they have a ton more output all the way around. <BR> <BR>Tim <BR>Wet Sounds

colombiansurfer 12-31-2009 10:31 AM

The two SYN 4's in 2 channel mode at 4 ohms? Will it be better to run the tower in 2 ohm or 4 ohm? To me, I don't think I will be able to tell a difference in quality between the 2 &amp; 4 Ohms because of the open area that they will be used in. Correct me if I am wrong. So now I am toggling between the two SYN 4's and one SYN 6. However, I do want to run at or a little above RMS even if I have to turn the gain down some. Please advise on your thoughts.

david_e_m 12-31-2009 10:43 AM

Pootie, <BR> <BR>Since you're running a Double-Up with all 8s and 80s, versus the 60s, a single SYN 2 would seem to fit your application and be very cost effective. With a parallel stereo scheme and a 2-ohm load this would give you a symmetrical 175 watts to each of the four speakers. With the robust driver of the MB-8, power handling us a non-issue. And, with this particular combination the ability to differentiate on the electronic highpass would be less critical, if at all, as compared to the typical MB-8/Pro-60 Double-Up. At 700 total watts, this is just on the heels of the SYN 6 710 total watts. <BR> <BR>David <BR>Earmark Marine

wetsounds1 12-31-2009 10:50 AM

Impedance is determined by the load of the speakers. The towers are 4 ohms each pod. How these are wired to the amps is what will determine what impedance the amp "sees" So one pair of 4 ohm speakers hooked up stereo on a SYN-2 will be 4 ohms stereo. So the amp will put out 200x2. If you add the second pair on the same amp in parallel. You will drop the impedance the amp sees to 2 ohms stereo. In turn the amp puts out 350x2 at 2 ohms. But that power then has to be split out to 4 speakers so you get 175 per speaker. <BR> <BR>Using the two SYN-4's. Each amp would be run as a 2 ch amp bridged at 4 ohms. So it will do 400x2 at 4 ohms. with the SYN-6. It is a 6 ch amp that can be bridged to a 6ch, 5 ch, 4ch or 3ch amp. You would be running it as a 4 ch amp. So the chs 1-4 bridged into 2 chs so 200x2 at 4 ohms. And the chs 5-6 in 4 ohms stereo so 155x2. <BR> <BR>When running amps at lower impedances. You can create more distortion. And since the amp is running at a lower impedance, create more draw and heat. The distortion is pretty much a non issue in a boat as volume is what we are after and not critical listening. So you will never notice and most would never notice even in a car etc… The heat and draw issues are not an issue with the SYN amps as they are very efficient and run very cool so even at a lower impedance, no worries. <BR> <BR>David brings up a good point on the SYN-2 as well. I usually like running the regular Double Up with seperate channels since you can cross the MB-8 over lower and gain them up as compared to the PRO 60's. But with the 80/MB-8 combo. You can cross them over and gain them the same. <BR> <BR>Here is some food for thought. The new RZ2 demo boat has the Alpha Z tower so it is limited to running 60's,80's or MB-8's as the 485's will not fit on that tower without some serious mods. <BR> <BR>I can run anything I want on this boat, I decided on running a pair of PRO 80's and a pair of 2010 MB-8's with two SYN-4's!! <BR> <BR>Tim <BR>Wet Sounds <BR> <BR>(Message edited by wetsounds1 on December 31, 2009)

colombiansurfer 01-01-2010 7:57 AM

Thanks Tim! I think my question is answered. Two SYN 4's it is! I feel this will give me the most output with a little to spare. I rather have little too much than not enough. I will still use my factory interior speakers for now as they are loud enough. My goal is to project the volume out to the rider mostly and some cove music for later on in the day. As for sub, I am going to keep the 10" I have now and add the XXX later when I have time. The 420 will be an added help to control the volume on the tower as I want it. Thanks David and everyone else that chimed in.