WakeWorld

WakeWorld (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/index.php)
-   Wakeboarding Discussion (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Mental Blocks (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/showthread.php?t=795613)

mpfiste2 09-21-2012 4:45 AM

Mental Blocks

Do any of you have any tricks for clearing a mental block on landing a trick. I have 2 tricks that I am physically capable and a good enough rider to land. I can't seem to get over the mental hurdle to get past them. I have been trying to land a tantrum for the last two years. I get plenty of height and rotation, but I can't come down with the handle when I land in good position. The same is true for my HSFS 360. I need to just decide to land these tricks.

bryce2320 09-21-2012 4:51 AM

For 10 bucks a month you can subscribe to learnwake.com if your not already a member. You can upload a video of your attempts and if there something you can work on to help you land it, those guys will break it down and show you what it is. I'm not nearly that good so take it for what its worth, but I like that site a lot.

RideGull 09-21-2012 12:17 PM

The Book dvd collection has helped me get through plenty of tricks that i needed tips with. you can youtube a lot of their clips.
on tantrums, as long as you understand the 'trip flip' effect of catching your edge on the wake, the trick is 100% commitment.
cut in hard, come off your edge, drop your back hand and trip on your heel edge. look straight back and spot your landing.
having your back to the wake is scary, but its all commitment. i could help a little better if i had a video of your attempts.

are you missing the handle on your 3s?

bcrider 09-21-2012 12:30 PM

Take a break and don't over think it. I was trying toeside 3's one of the last times I was out and kept losing the handle on my landings. Then the last time I was out I cut in toeside at the end of my run and went for it and landed smooth as could be with the handle and rode away. Once you learn the tantrum you will wonder how you could never do it. It's actually a really easy trick to learn. I landed and rode away on my 3 attempt. My first time I over rotated and landed on my back. The so called easy trick being a heel side backroll has me just scratching my head though.lol.

Bumpass1 09-21-2012 12:45 PM

I have kinda the same problem with my tantrum. I know I am throwing the rotation too early, but can't seem to wait long enough. I agree about learnwake. Those guys are awesome!!

jeff_mn 09-21-2012 1:04 PM

I have the same problem so I just dont do any tricks.

bboozer 09-21-2012 5:48 PM

I agree with what everyone else said, and not to high jack the thread, but has anyone had a trick locked down, and then when learning a new trick lost that one? That is what happened to me with my back roll, I had it on lock and could throw it with confidence even in rough water.... then when i was learning the tantrum, I was having a hard time with the trip flip edge....and when I finally got it, I lost my back roll... now I can't hold my edge and get my back roll, but I have the tantrum on lock..... the worst thing is when you know what you are doing wrong and you know that you can do the trick, but you can't put all the parts together at the same time....

SS_Hooke102 09-21-2012 6:30 PM

I've learned to get mentally warmed up first. Throw a few other tricks I am confident with and then go in hard. Commit. Commit. Commit. 90% of the time if you commit instead of backing out the fall is much more bearable.

Readyaimfire 09-22-2012 1:40 PM

If you are cutting in thinking "Don't Fall", you are already screwed. You have to be confident when u are cutting in. I usually tell myself, "When I land this Backroll I'm gonna do a Toe 3". If u say "If I land this backroll" u r destined to fall. Sometimes it helps to think about what's coming up next so u don't over think it.

theloungelife 09-22-2012 3:17 PM

I like what Tommy said. So true that a lot of it is just mental.

tripsw 09-23-2012 1:45 PM

Yeah man, stupid simple hs fs 3... After a supernasty back-edge-catch (about 12 years ago!) my mind just won't let me do it anymore. I did them all the time before that crash, I know I can do it, but my effin brain just won't let me do it anymore. Maybe I should see a shrink to fix it!
Also lost the scarecrow years ago, now very hesitant to flip forward.

ralph 09-23-2012 2:04 PM

Slow the boat right down and shorten up the rope. Its amazing how much more confidence riding slower than normal will give you.

bcrider 09-24-2012 9:00 AM

Billy, that happened to me. I used to be able to do huge front rolls and once I learned the tantrum I can't do them anymore. My front roll turns in to a tantrum.

wakebordr11 09-24-2012 9:08 AM

^ How is that possible, toeside front roll turns into a tantrum?

tahoeguy7 09-24-2012 10:11 AM

+1 for slowing the boat down. The crashes aren't near as bad and the rope tension isn't as bad. You can slow everything down mentally when you aren't as worried about getting served if you don't make it.

bcrider 09-24-2012 10:33 AM

Delta Force. Correct that. Heelside front flip. not front roll.

dirwoody 09-25-2012 8:46 AM

I have a couple mental blocks - Most notable - HS Backroll. I come around absolutely perfect, but my brain tells me to let go. Whenever I actually hold on, I land them perfect, but 90% of the time my brain freaks out due to the odd rotation (used to doing tantrums, toe fronts&backs...ect) and I pitch the handle.

Kerry 09-25-2012 1:04 PM

Raleys give me mental blocks. I've been super close in landing them numerous times. But a couple bell ringers have really scarred me from trying the trick much more. I guess I should just being doing the wakeskate ones like crazy. Mental Blocks suck. Rough falls on your head can be worse. I do my best to just enjoy riding. I'm not a pro and will never be one. I love going big, doing a few inverts and 180's, powerslides, surface tricks and just enjoy the fact that I'm lucky i have a nice boat to ride on.

gnarslayer 09-25-2012 7:06 PM

after the age of 24ish to 28ish you start to lose your balls and actually think about how bad something might hurt

ToPHeR35 09-26-2012 1:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gnarslayer (Post 1785576)
after the age of 24ish to 28ish you start to lose your balls and actually think about how bad something might hurt

True!

bboozer 09-26-2012 6:11 PM

Damn everyone on here is acting like 24 or 28 is old.... Geez... I am 41 and my riding buddy is 37, now we aren't pro level by any means, but we go out hard on the weekends and ride hard. Granted, we have our aches and pains, but it really hasn't stopped us from trying to get better and progress. Oh, how I wish that we had the energy and youth to be 24 or 27 again, and no family responsibilities.... Our biggest issue is that we are weekend warriors, and i now have a 4 year old, so we don't get the long days that we used to and we have to deal with weekend water conditions that make it harder to spend the amount of time it takes when learning new tricks, so we basically ride the water we are given and do the same tricks and then try something new once or twice in a set. Damn 40 is the new 20!!!!

Reez 10-02-2012 4:59 PM

If I am tryin something new Or something I really struggle with I'll drop a lot of the ballast and slow the boat down. Really helps to ease your mind and not worry about the fall. You can focus on what your supposed to. I also like to do these runs with my normal crew or just a few people who see me all the time.

gene3x 10-12-2012 1:18 PM

I don't mind taking a beating at all..... My biggest issue is rehab and doctor visits. Started boarding at 36 and am now 43. Started riding cautious about 2 years ago after my second ACL knee surgery. It sucks not progressing. I am losing the will to get out and try new stuff.

wakedaveup 10-12-2012 1:35 PM

Biggest key is that if you don't feel confident or you feel nervous before charging in on a new trick... DONT DO IT. If you ride often than another time will come around where you may feel a little more confident trying the trick. Trampolines help to certain extent and so does being in shape in general. Point is the worst thing you can do on a new trick is charge in and freeze up half way through a trick. It can be a disaster trust me I've had 3 wake related concussions and the last one was almost a show stopper for me. Took 2 years to get back behind a boat. Take your time, build the fundamentals, replay over and over in your head, find trick tips on whatever you are trying, and like they said above... slow the boat down. Another good technique (it can lead to bad habits) is to have your boat driver drive on a slight turn to make whatever side of the wake you are hitting more lippy for straight up pop. My best friend used to do that for me and once I got the trick dialed in I would try it on a straight pass and master it. Best bet though, slow the boat down. Hope that helps.

razorjaw 10-12-2012 1:45 PM

Ever considered going to a coach/wake school? Sometimes it's not you over thinking it but your technique is wrong and you need fresh perspective.