WakeWorld

WakeWorld (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/index.php)
-   Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3183)
-   -   Wetsounds sound terrible through head unit!!!! (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/showthread.php?t=793414)

prion 05-17-2012 6:55 AM

Wetsounds sound terrible through head unit!!!!

Hey all, I'm looking for some direction here. All my wetsounds interior and tower speakers sound terrible through my factory head unit ( CD player, iPod hook up and radio) but when I switch over to my ws420'and play through the auxiliary the sound fine. Any ideas what is causing this?

wetsounds1 05-17-2012 7:10 AM

you could have a bad RCA from the deck to the 420 on the main input. Which would be why all of them sound bad on that source. Since it seems it sounds bad on all sources from the deck. Next thing could be the deck itself. Try a new RCA, you dont even have to install it, just jump one over to the 420 and see. If it still sounds bad. Another thing to try would be the deck to the aux input. Get an rca to 3.5 mm adapter. or vice versa, get a 3.5 mm headphone to rca and plug the ipod in there. Just to make sure the 420 main input is not bad.

Best thing to do is step by step and start ruling things out until you find the culprit.

Tim
Wet Sounds

david_e_m 05-17-2012 8:35 AM

Ryan,
You were not real clear as to how exactly it sounds bad. Is it distorted because you are over-driving the HU or is it lower output because the Aux source is considerably stronger due to a very weak HU preout?
I addition to the things mentioned above, which are all valid, 1) check any internal level setting on the ipod as there can be a difference between the bottom and top ports if you are using both, 2) make sure the HU volume control is not running above 85 percent, 3) if there is a huge gain differential between the HU and Aux source then add a Pac LC-1 to the stronger side, balance the inputs, reset the amplifier input gains and hide the LC-1 away permanently, 4) check the fader position on the HU plus any default EQ or other HU settings.

David
Earmark Marine

prion 05-17-2012 11:15 AM

Based on theses instructions I think I may know the problem. I have the HU volume all the way up and use the ws420 to control the volume. The speakers sound very distorted almost blown. I'll try turning the volume down on the head unit for 50 to 40. Fingers crossed that works.

pprior 05-17-2012 11:38 AM

The 420 instruction manual has details on how to set your HU to avoid this problem. Sometimes you just have to break down and RTFM.... :banghead:

wetsounds1 05-17-2012 12:32 PM

that would do it. all head units will clip at that max level. so most likely you are clipping the head unit. so it is sending a clipped signal to the 420, which is then boosting a clipped signal to the amps, which are then amplifying the clipped signal to the speakers. Speakers are at the end of the line and just play what they are fed.

Tim
Wet Sounds