WakeWorld

WakeWorld (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/index.php)
-   Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3183)
-   -   My new to me VLX (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/showthread.php?t=798980)

brycejb328 07-07-2013 11:03 AM

My new to me VLX

1 Attachment(s)
I thought I would share the stoke on my new whip now that I finally snapped a couple pics of it. 2006 Wakesetter VLX. After having it for just shy of a month and almost 20 hours on it, I REALLY like this boat.

A HUGE thanks to Matt at Minnesota Inboard. I was back and forth between Axis A20/22, newer VLX's, MXZ, Vride, etc.. and unfortunately I didn't end up purchasing a boat from them but they certainly earned my business for a future purchase.

Ever since I got into wakeboarding I always thought the illusion tower Malibu's were the best looking boats on the water and I am stoked that I finally own one. I never thought I would own a boat this color but after seeing some black / yellow boats in person, I actually think it is pretty sharp IN PERSON, for some reason seeing that color scheme in most pictures doesn't look good to me.

A couple things worth mentioning

Power wedge - I have read some claims of the wedge not making much of an effect on the wake. Maybe this is more with the manual/floating wedge. The power wedge makes a big difference to me, I have played around with it quite a bit at different settings and it certainly manipulates the shape of the wake.

Handling / ride - I haven't drove this boat really slammed yet, but wow. I really like the way it drives and how smooth / tight everything feels and sounds.

Garage height - I was a little uncertain on how it would go getting this into a 7 foot tall garage opening... IT IS POSSIBLE. Here is how I did it. Dropped the tire pressure to 30-35 (not sure if that part made that big of a difference), used my 6 inch drop hitch on my truck, trimmed a 1 foot section of trim board out where the tower ball passes through and she clears with about a 1/2inch to spare. I don't tow very far so the less than idea trailer set up doesn't matter to me.

Wake - Here is how I have rode it so far and what I though of the wake

no ballast, 3 adults and 2 kids in boat, and wedge about 2/3 down at 23 mph - I was actually pretty surprised at how "poppy" this felt, certainly didn't look like a big wake but I definitely liked the kick that it gave me off the top. On another note, I had troubles on my toe side at the slower speed and/or wake shape.

full stock ballast (rear hard tanks and midship), 3 adults in boat, wedge about 2/3 down at 24 mph - The only problem I found running like this is that the boat seems to want to porpoise if you have the wedge up too much. otherwise the wake is great

Full stock ballast, 400 lb bag as far forward in the bow, wedge 1/2 down at 24 mph - This is my preferred set up so far. It seems to have the right blend of ramp and lip at the top and I feel most consistent riding with this set up. Eventually I will experiment with some more bow weight and plumbing in some rear bags. But for now I am plenty happy with this.

Preston 07-07-2013 11:18 AM

Love it!!!

I've always like black and yellow boats , looks really good on the water.

boardman74 07-07-2013 12:31 PM

Great looking Boat!!

bryce2320 07-07-2013 1:08 PM

Great write up and congrats on the new boat! Any pics of the wake with full stock ballast? Any deciding factors that made you go with the VLX over an A20 or A22?

brycejb328 07-07-2013 1:46 PM

The cost to value ratio just wasn't there for me when it came to brand new A22's. I feel I have a better boat going with this 7 year old VLX for less money versus a brand new A22 which would have been significantly more than what I spent on this.

Don't get me wrong, I REALLY liked the Axis... just couldn't justify the cost and if I went Axis, I would have ONLY did a new one.

Sorry, I don't have any pics of the wake right now.

markj 07-07-2013 11:49 PM

Wise choice. I like that tower a lot more than the current ones too. That is a nice looking boat. Tinted windows will put it over the top. Is the trailer black?

ironj32 07-08-2013 5:01 AM

Congrats, Bryce. The boat looks great!

ilikebeaverandboats 07-08-2013 6:42 AM

shes purdy! nice lookin boat.

migs 07-08-2013 8:37 AM

Sharp

jeff_mn 07-09-2013 10:10 AM

Looks awesome, homie. Can't wait to get out on it - perhaps this weekend.

dukeno1 07-09-2013 1:30 PM

Congrats! Welcome to the 06' Malibu club! I love mine (Vride) and even though our hulls
are different, love the wake. I am running the 750's in the rear, stock middle tank, integrated
bow sack, plus about 300 more lbs under the playpen cushion. Can't see why I would
ever need more wake, especially with my limited skills and 47 year old knees!

Enjoy the new boat