WakeWorld

WakeWorld (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/index.php)
-   Wakesurfing (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=87668)
-   -   Kite Tube (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/showthread.php?t=778543)

wofrankwo 04-14-2010 8:00 PM

Kite Tube

check this out ...... in case i cant copy the shortcut ..... pretty ballsy!!

http://modesto.craigslist.org/spo/1678924126.html

im learning ..... craigslist - sacramento - kite tube

schmidt18 04-15-2010 6:49 AM

Haha, we had one of those a couple years ago. Had to cut the thing up and send it back to SportsStuff because it became too dangerous. Wasn't that much fun though.

wofrankwo 04-15-2010 10:19 PM

i watched a bunch of utube videos and it was hillarious ...... the size of the splash the people were making when hitting the water was incredible ..... height plus speed

04-16-2010 7:39 AM

Frank the reason its probably being sold is because those things are illegal now because they have killed two people, they are HIGHLY dangerous because in order to actually gain flight your boat has to be top speed and there slogan is ( go as high as your willing to fall ) if you get that thing up there it is not stable at all one wrong lean on to the left or ride side, your done, thats what happen to those two guys and the impact of the water destoryed them and they died around 6 - 8 hours later in the hospital.

Dont buy once please :)

04-16-2010 7:44 AM

* SOURCE *

The Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC) issued a warning in June 2006 to consumers about the dangers of kite tubes used in a new sport -- kite tubing or tube kiting. Kite tubes have already caused two deaths over the past three months. These kite tube deaths have been attributed to this new water sport, as stated by the CPSC. The largest manufacturer of kite tubes is Sportsstuff. Sportsstuff's Wego Kite Tube has become the most popular brand in tube kiting after being named, "Sports Product Of The Year" by the Sporting Goods Manufacturers Association. The Wego Kite Tube's largest competitor, the Manta Ray tube kite by Sevylor, has been shadowed by Sportsstuff's popularity.

Kite Tube Recall & Market Withdrawal
Sportsstuff has withdrawn its Wego Kite Tubes from the market as of July 12, 2006. Sportsstuff is also voluntarily recalling about 19,000 Wego Kite Tubes. To our knowledge, no kite tube lawsuits have been filed to date due to these dangerous and unsafe kite tubes.

Kite Tubing – Can Cause Serious Injuries Even Death
Kite tubing, or tube kiting, is a relatively new form of extreme water sport which is fast growing in popularity, but also extremely dangerous. The CPSC is aware of at least two deaths associated with tube kiting this year. Tube kite deaths include a 33-year-old Texas man who was killed in late April 2006 while tube kiting, and a 42-year-old man who died from injuries associated with tube kiting on June 26, 2006 in Wisconsin. The CPSC is also aware of 39 injury incidents, 29 of those resulting in medical treatment. In another report, a 14-year-old girl who was tube kiting lost consciousness when her kite tube fell about 15 feet and struck the water.
Kite Tube Injuries

The Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC) is aware of 39 injury incidents, 29 of those resulting in medical treatment, associated with tube kiting. The injuries include:

a broken neck
punctured lung
broken ribs
broken femur
chest and back injuries
facial injuries (jaw fractures)
loss of consciousness
death

The above injuries were reported to the CPSC, but kite tube accidents can also cause the following injuries:

shoulder injuries (rotator cuff)
torn labrum
torn medial collateral ligament
fractured bones
broken bones
broken ribs
internal bleeding
bruised (lungs, liver, kidneys, and spleen)
chest and back injuries
spinal cord damage
compression of the vertebrae/spine (C3, C4, C5)
partial paralysis
facial injuries
head injuries
concussions
loss of consciousness
death
For more information please

tro 04-18-2010 1:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chaserwaser (Post 1574076)
Frank the reason its probably being sold is because those things are illegal now because they have killed two people, they are HIGHLY dangerous because in order to actually gain flight your boat has to be top speed and there slogan is ( go as high as your willing to fall ) if you get that thing up there it is not stable at all one wrong lean on to the left or ride side, your done, thats what happen to those two guys and the impact of the water destoryed them and they died around 6 - 8 hours later in the hospital.

Dont buy once please :)

I don't think they are illegal. I think the manufacturers stopped selling them because of potential lawsuits because of the danger of using them.

also, you don't have to be at top boat speed for those things to fly in the air. which makes it even more dangerous. the one i rode would shoot up in the air even at low speeds if the wind was right. it was very hard to control and, like you mentioned, would come crashing down with the slightest movement one way or the other.

they are very dangerous and i wouldn't recommend getting on one of them or letting friends on your boat ride. i wouldn't want to have someone's death on my conscious, that's for sure.

wofrankwo 04-18-2010 4:52 PM

watching the utube videos had us laughing for half an hour ..... talk about total trust in your driver ..... we were thinking about getting a kite one time to pull behind the boat and the guy told us the driver had to be really good ..... i looked at my brother and said we will pass LOL