WakeWorld

WakeWorld (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/index.php)
-   Wakeboarding Discussion (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Tow Ropes (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/showthread.php?t=780837)

silverlude 06-21-2010 5:10 PM

Tow Ropes

Had a Spectra Straightline rope pop on us this weekend pullling a friend who goes about 330. Yes it had a knot in it and broke right behind it. We pull a few poeple in the 220-280 range and never had this problem before but.... we did. Need some recommendations on a new tow rope, have always had the Straightline Spectra jacketed. Is there any reason to change or any better ropes out there as my friend is going on vacation with us in 3 weeks. Rope type and site to find it on would really be appreciated.

ilikebeaverandboats 06-21-2010 5:19 PM

how olds the rope? Our straightline frayed and broke and they replaced it.

silverlude 06-21-2010 6:11 PM

It's not bad as it's 4yrs old. No nicks or farys that are alarming, just had that one knot bout 10' from handle and thats where it broke behing the knot.

Anubis79 06-21-2010 7:18 PM

I just picked up an Accurate Chamois handle with 70 foot X-Line off of boardstop.com. I can't really help with what rope to get as this one is my first spectra/dyneema so I can't really compare it with other brands. Boardstop was great to order from though. I had some trouble with their automated e-mails not getting through and they were quick to respond to my emails with whatever info I needed. Took 4 work days for the order to go from Texas to Pennsylvania, there was a weekend in between. I don't know if it's proper to post this, but if you're a member over at the wakeboarder.com forums you can get a code for 10% off your order.

ilikebeaverandboats 06-22-2010 5:34 PM

Im not sure what their warranty is, but I would look into it. i think 4 years might be too long, but check it out, hopefully im wrong.

Maddog10 06-22-2010 8:03 PM

I'm sure it's not warrantied for towing people with a knot in the rope. If you keep that on the DL though then maybe they can fix you up. Probably wouldn't tell them that the passenger was 330 either, not that it should matter. If it's warrantied it's warrantied. I'm sure that warranty doesn't include knots though so don't tell them that.

silverlude 06-22-2010 9:34 PM

yea, i called them, no warranty which i figured only 1yr. been checkin out spectra vs. dyneema and sounds as if the dyneema with coating is the most cost effective way to go for us. 79 bucks shipped is not bad, just wanted to make sure this won't happen to my buddy again as he was really bummed bout it. also ya just wanna get the best bang for your buck ya know. lookin at the accurate x-line series stuff for our next mainline.

wake77 06-22-2010 9:50 PM

Having a knot in your line weakens it significantly. It more than likely had to do with that rather than the 300 pounder.

baitkiller 06-23-2010 7:37 AM

I run the accurate line with a 320 lbs crew member. Trust me, this dude moves the boat when he edges out. I have the rope knotted just before the handle for safety. Two seasons now of pretty heavy (hehe) use and no issues.

silverlude 06-23-2010 7:42 PM

Correction, it was not Straightline brand, it was the Accurate- Jacket Series Spectra Fusion that broke. I also have a Straightline Spectra line but my son had modified it for the wakesurfing mode. I have been overall happy with the stuff but that pop at the knot worried me as I have some big fellas that ride with us regularly and just don't want something like that to happen on a trick or hard cut out and see someone eat the shore line or some other immoveable object ect.... ( especially if someone wasn't filming it, as we would have nothing to post then, and ya know everyone would want to see that :) Went with the X Series Dyneema stuff, anyone have any thoughts on the stuff?

Anubis79 06-23-2010 11:59 PM

Man I wish I had some thoughts to give. I originally ordered the rope with my board, but it was back-ordered so I had to drop it and order from another place. When I got around to it it was real late in the day so I couldn't get it shipped out in time to arrive before the weekend for my day on the lake. My impressions on dry land just looking it over are that it's a quality piece of gear. I'm coming from the old style ski ropes, so anything would be an upgrade. I'm not sure when I'll get back out again as the weather doesn't look too good around here for the next few days and when it does clear up the water level might be too high.

hyperlite 06-24-2010 4:40 AM

Accutate Line....

radmattyd 06-24-2010 1:11 PM

go with Proline. They make some pretty sweet stuff

BigTEX 06-25-2010 12:52 AM

accurate a line is my personal favorite I tried other brands coated lines like helium and their coatings seem to tear overtime. That being said I have had my a line for 3 years now, with absolutely no problems. I