WakeWorld

WakeWorld (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/index.php)
-   Archive through June 10, 2005 (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=234701)
-   -   Hose size for ballast pump (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/showthread.php?t=226980)

sanger 05-04-2005 7:32 PM

I'm installing a Jabsco ballast puppy and noticed that the inlet/outlet ports on the pump housing are only 1/2 inch pipe thread. I was going to use 1 inch ballast hose but with the restriction at the ballast pump I'm not sure if there's going to be any benefit with 1 inch hose over 3/4 inch hose. It's easier to find 3/4 inch fittings, looking for any opinions.

jklein 05-05-2005 9:43 AM

Get the plastic clear hose with the threads (braids) going through the hose. I'm pretty sure it is 1" inside diameter. You want to put it on the "outside" of the threaded inlet/outlet ports and use a stainless steel hose clamp to hold it on. You'll notice there's a little lip on the inlet / outlet port. <BR> <BR>Do NOT get a threaded coupler that will screw into the inlet / outlet ports because it will restrict your flow. <BR> <BR>When you "T" it off, then go from 1 inch to 3/4 on each size but make sure it's a full 1 inch T, then reduce the two 1 inch outputs to 3/4.

sanger 05-06-2005 8:28 AM

Thanks John, West Marine has a large selection of 1" plastic fittings so I think I'll go with the 1" hose like you suggested.

guido 05-06-2005 9:27 AM

Gary.... I used the same pump and used 1/2 inch fittings on the inside of the pump. I then used 3/4 I.D. hose on the barbed 1/2 inch fittings. Everything works great. Ballast fills/empties very fast. <BR> <BR>My boat already had 1/2 inch fittings from the rear factory ballast with a Jabsco pump, so I figured it wouldn't be a problem. Everything worked out great. I used brass garden hose fittings so I can easily remove the hoses for service/repair if necessary. It took time, but I found everything I needed at Orchard. One bit of advice: If you use 1/2 inch fittings, make sure to use brass instead of plastic. The I.D. of the plastic fittings was much smaller than the brass. I was worried about flow with the plastic.

jklein 05-06-2005 10:56 AM

Just an FYI: I originally went with the brass/bronze screw in fittings, then switched to putting the hose on the outside with the hose clamps. I'm getting much better performance than before. <BR> <BR>The key with reducing from 1" to 3/4" is that you want to make sure when the reduction happens that you've got the additive of the two 3/4" lines before the reduction. Thus, you have a total of 1" into 1.5" when filling, and 1.5" into 1" when draining. If you reduce 1" to 3/4", then split it, you've got 1" into 3/4" and more restriction. I hope that makes sense.

kybool 05-06-2005 4:16 PM

huh???

sanger 05-06-2005 10:55 PM

I'll have the 1" hose go in to a 1" T with 3/4" reduction coming out of the T. Do they make a plastic Y instead of using a T, couldn't find anything on the internet.

wakefan 05-07-2005 8:35 AM

any photos?