WakeWorld

WakeWorld (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/index.php)
-   Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3183)
-   -   noise pollution discussion (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/showthread.php?t=801818)

baitkiller 04-22-2014 1:26 PM

noise pollution discussion

The lads over on THT are having a lively chat about people playing loud music at the sand bars and late nights on the water. This is primarily offshore fisherman site so for many of you it may be a bit like being a fly on the wall.
Its an entertaining read as not all are haters you will see.

http://www.thehulltruth.com/boating-...pollution.html

racer808 04-22-2014 1:32 PM

I'm fine with loud music. As long as it's my loud music & others don't turn theirs up :)

kx250frider617 04-22-2014 4:23 PM

There's been times where our group was in a cove, 3 boats all anchored. We had our music blasting having fun with no one else around. Then some old guy pulls up, anchors by us, then starts yelling at us to turn it down. I really thought it was a joke. We waves good bye as he pulled his anchor and left.

rallyart 04-22-2014 7:47 PM

I'm with you Jack, but I'd apply that to exhaust noise also.

More seriously, however, sound travels over water much further than over land. Especially at night. I can hear conversations from where the houseboats anchor a full mile across the lake on some nights, and I'm in my cabin with the windows open.
It is always nice to follow discussions in other forums than the ones I'm most interested in. You get a broader perspective. Thanks Baitkiller.

fence_sence 04-23-2014 8:02 AM

I don't understand why people can't keep their music in their boat. If you think you're so cool that you can provide music that everyone likes, you're not that cool and it can't be done. If your excuse is that you want to hear the music when you ride, well, you're a selfish prick. Sac up and go out and ride. We're gonna hang in the boat and listen to some music we like.

I know there's nothing that can be done by law. It's just another symptom of a way over self entitled society. "Nobody can tell me I can't so I'm gonna. " Unfortunately, common courtesy is dead and that's a shame. It promotes so much distain between what should be like minded individuals. And for what? So you can play your music at a level that damages everyone in the boats hearing? Ya, you are super cool, pal. I guess common sense is dead as well?

phathom 04-23-2014 8:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kx250frider617 (Post 1873830)
There's been times where our group was in a cove, 3 boats all anchored. We had our music blasting having fun with no one else around. Then some old guy pulls up, anchors by us, then starts yelling at us to turn it down. I really thought it was a joke. We waves good bye as he pulled his anchor and left.

That's ridiculous. He obviously saw what was going on before hand and could have chose another spot if he didn't want to be around you. I'm sure if he would have asked nicely, you would have turned it down a bit.

There is obviously a time and a place for loud music on the water, out while riding and in a party cove.
If you're down from some houseboats, next to a camp site, or some place where there is a bunch of people not sharing the same mood, you're going to piss someone off. I guarantee it.

calexan 04-23-2014 8:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fence_sence (Post 1873904)
I don't understand why people can't keep their music in their boat. If you think you're so cool that you can provide music that everyone likes, you're not that cool and it can't be done. If your excuse is that you want to hear the music when you ride, well, you're a selfish prick. Sac up and go out and ride. We're gonna hang in the boat and listen to some music we like.

I know there's nothing that can be done by law. It's just another symptom of a way over self entitled society. "Nobody can tell me I can't so I'm gonna. " Unfortunately, common courtesy is dead and that's a shame. It promotes so much distain between what should be like minded individuals. And for what? So you can play your music at a level that damages everyone in the boats hearing? Ya, you are super cool, pal. I guess common sense is dead as well?

Damn panties in a bunch. I think there's a time and place to blast your music and times there aren't. Just like the guy above, when your with a group of friends and find an empty cove there's nothing wrong with playing your music so you can hear it as you float around in the water.

I agree pulling up to a cove with kids or a bunch of old people isnt the place to start blasting rap, edm, etc...., but nothing wrong playing music while you ride when you've found a smooth channel and some random fisherman comes in there getting all pissed.

racer808 04-23-2014 9:06 AM

Chance Alex nailed it

fence_sence 04-23-2014 9:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by calexan (Post 1873914)
Damn panties in a bunch.

Yup. I'm totally over it. My tower speakers are on a shelf and that's where they're gonna stay. I also run an FAE although mostly just for exhaust fume control. The great side affect is the massive noise reduction. I don't mind engine noise in the slightest but, thinking your wakeboat has some super badass motor is foolish as well in the big picture. More than likely it's just a 10:1 small block Chevy. There's only about a million of those. Really nothing special. Now, a blown BBC on nitro with some zoomies? That is music. A 4000hp Merlin @ 150" MP? Music. How fast is a wakeboat? 50mph on good day? Maybe? Mine does 44 @ 1000' on gps. Not very impressive.

Obviously there are times and places for everything but, there are so many people that, given that inch, they will take a mile and that turns simple, polite boaters like me, who give that inch, into curmudgeons who want their mile back.

Of course these are just one curmudgeon's opinions and they will likely be tossed aside by the inconsiderate masses as soon as the next shiny thing passes by.

grant_west 04-23-2014 10:12 AM

Quote:

Obviously there are times and places for everything but, there are so many people that, given that inch, they will take a mile and that turns simple, polite boaters like me, who give that inch, into curmudgeons who want their mile back.
Agreed 100%

I love pumpin systems but the way I see some people operate them makes me embarrassed to have a boat full of equipment. With that said many people with the really nice systems have a clue and don't go crazy.

And for the record you don't need a big system to cause havoc. Late at night you can blow up the whole lake and marina with 2 normal tower speakers

grant_west 04-23-2014 10:24 AM

And One last thing I think if you take your Family to Party Cove or the SandBar and complain about Noise and expect it to be quite then you need to check your self. IMO these places are where people go to get loud and crazy, If you don't want to see people acting stupid or hear loud annoying music DONT GO their

fence_sence 04-23-2014 11:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by grant_west (Post 1873945)
And One last thing I think if you take your Family to Party Cove or the SandBar and complain about Noise and expect it to be quite then you need to check your self. IMO these places are where people go to get loud and crazy, If you don't want to see people acting stupid or hear loud annoying music DONT GO their

Werd.

grant_west 04-23-2014 1:36 PM

^^^ how is that?
I guess it could be diffrent at each lake but most places have a place were people go and play loud music ect. On a big weekends I like to do a drive by at the party cove but have little intrest staying because I don't like stereo wars and a plethora of other reasons so I avoid them. Pulling up at party
Cove and expecting it to be peace and quite is asking a lot. I ask this question Where are all the attention Whores to go? I would rather they all go gather at one place and have Stereo Wars all day long rather then break off in small factions and occupy evey nook and cranny of the lake.

And while we are on the subject of noise pollution this is my take. We all make noise some more than others. It's give and take. Whether it's your dog barking, mowing the lawn, riding your Harley. All of those activities Create noise and irritants for others while they may not bother you they could be driving your neighbors crazy. I think it's hypocritical that my neighbors dog barks all day long
7 days a week and if it not his it's someone's else's, But if I decide to play music loud (let's say at the same volume as his dog barking) for an hour or so that's grounds for calling the cops.

phathom 04-23-2014 1:56 PM

Actually their dog barking is grounds for calling the cops and filing a noise complaint. At least where I live it is harder to file an animal complaint though as they want proof with the complaint so it's not a he said/she said thing. They require a video of the specific animal in question performing that action for a set period of time that they'd determine it a nuisance. If it's a dog running out and barking at a tree for a minute because it saw a squirrel or the mailman, that's a lot different than the dog that's just sitting out there barking to hear it's own voice all day long.

My neighbors are horrible about loud music (window rattling bass from several houses down) all the time, especially late nights on weekends, but I think they got the message from all of us other neighbors, because at 10pm sharp they cut it off now.

MICAH_HARPER 04-23-2014 2:29 PM

Turn it uppppp!!!!!!!

srock 04-24-2014 8:17 AM

My problem has been the guys who pulls up near a bunch of families and cranks up the F-Bombs and I need to relocate my kids.

fence_sence 04-24-2014 9:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by grant_west (Post 1873979)
^^^ how is that?

??? I was agreeing with you.

Times and places for everything. We really don't have places like that around here. Most everyone is a lone wolf. You get big parties on the beaches but, they are generally their own party. You don't get random people grouping together at a known party spot. Instead they all spread to all corners of the lakes. It would be nice to have all the clowns corralled into one spot.

shawndoggy 04-24-2014 9:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fence_sence (Post 1874131)
??? I was agreeing with you.

Times and places for everything. We really don't have places like that around here. Most everyone is a lone wolf. You get big parties on the beaches but, they are generally their own party. You don't get random people grouping together at a known party spot. Instead they all spread to all corners of the lakes. It would be nice to have all the clowns corralled into one spot.

Pelican @ pyramid on 4th of July or Labor Day.

psudy 04-24-2014 10:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fence_sence (Post 1873933)
Yup. I'm totally over it. My tower speakers are on a shelf and that's where they're gonna stay..

Can I have them?

fence_sence 04-24-2014 11:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shawndoggy (Post 1874146)
Pelican @ pyramid on 4th of July or Labor Day.

Ha! You know I don't take my boat there. In fact, I don't take it anywhere on the 4th, Labor Day or Memorial Day. I think it's been established that I pretty much hate people. :D

fence_sence 04-24-2014 11:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by psudy (Post 1874150)
Can I have them?

For the right price.

psudy 04-24-2014 11:43 AM

If they are just collecting dust then you should pass them on to help fellow boaters out. Ill pay shipping!