WakeWorld

WakeWorld (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/index.php)
-   Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3183)
-   -   Macro-Economic Indicator (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/showthread.php?t=783464)

phatboypimp 09-09-2010 10:49 AM

Macro-Economic Indicator

Interested to see how the wakeboard community is feeling financially.

bawshogg 09-09-2010 7:49 PM

Seems to me like the major 3 are pricing themselves out of the common mans reach. Can't believe what the MSRP's are on the new boats. Used market has not caught up and may take awhile to get there, IMO.

tre 09-09-2010 8:53 PM

No, but I did get one in the last 12 months.

Jeff 09-09-2010 9:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bawshogg (Post 1631613)
Seems to me like the major 3 are pricing themselves out of the common mans reach. Can't believe what the MSRP's are on the new boats. Used market has not caught up and may take awhile to get there, IMO.

Seems like more than the big 3. All of the "budget" brands are ridiculously priced when new now too. I guess they're just following the big 3's pricing just far enough behind that budget conscious people with $40k+ to spend on a boat will at least consider them.

Living in Louisiana I will probably never buy a new boat or a boat from a dealer for that matter. There's the obvious steeper depreciation curve in the first years of ownership but also we have to pay sales tax on new boats and used sales through licensed dealers but not on private sale boats. So, on a $50k boat that's $4,500 that could be applied towards a better used boat instead of blown on taxes. That's not even mentioning the better deals you typically can find in a private party sale.

09-09-2010 9:56 PM

in 05 ordering a brand new 210 team with regular engine, closed cooling, no shower or heater, tandem galv. trailer was 56k out the door. i think the new version of same boat is closer to 75k out the door. it's retarded.

kirk 09-10-2010 6:59 AM

I would love to have a new ride, but I just cant see dropping 60K on a new boat when mine still does the job and I have no payments.

alans 09-10-2010 7:05 AM

Jeff, where do you live? That sounds ridiculous.

HighVoltage 09-10-2010 7:19 AM

Recently bought a new boat in the past few months.

Jeff 09-10-2010 7:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by alans (Post 1631714)
Jeff, where do you live? That sounds ridiculous.

Louisiana. In a private party sale (Even with an out of state private party) we only pay sales tax on the trailer. You write them up as separate bills of sale and they have separate titles so you can say the trailer was whatever price you want and the boat is the rest of the sale price. So, there are a lot of $50k boats in Louisiana rolling on "$100" trailers (My MasterCraft trailer was only $100 ;) )

You do pay some "taxes" on the boat they just don't call them taxes and they aren't dependent on the price of the boat, only the length. Title transfer fees, registration transfer fees, etc but it only adds up to about $150 for your average wakeboat.

I think there are several other states with the similar arrangements.

alans 09-10-2010 7:35 AM

Wow, that is nice. In VA we pay 2% on the boat and 3.5% on the trailer, no matter if it is new or used. Then regular property taxes each year.

olmoomba 09-10-2010 8:46 AM

Alan - that sounds even worse. You get gigged hard in the long run if you have to pay a property tax on a boat based on its value (assumption).

In TX the sales tax is the sales tax you pay across the board. Boat and trailer are jumbled to one price and there you go. We only have to register the boat 1x every two years and the trailer registration is yearly but minimal. No yearly property tax here unless you own land with or without a dwelling.

phatboypimp 09-10-2010 9:29 AM

For those of us in California we have to pay an annual "unsecured property tax" (gotta love the government) based on the value of your boat. It is a joke. This is on top of our normal licensing fees - although we don't have to pay to license the trailer. whoohoo.

jyoungusa 09-10-2010 9:42 AM

At least the Commonwealth of VA or maybe my county depreciates the boats pretty fast. Bought my 60K list price MB for 47K in fall of 08, the conty was nice enough to appraise it this year at ~28K - not that I am complaining - the annual property tax bill comes out a lot cheaper.

09-10-2010 9:49 AM

How does the county or state have the right to tax stuff that you own, which does not utilize any services on consumables? WIth real property the taxes are result of you using certain items in the community, but with a tax personal property tax they tax you for simply owning the item? I would either move, or setup dual residency somewhere... Hell you can buy an acre of dirt in the AZ for about $500 bucks.

jyoungusa 09-10-2010 10:26 AM

Our personal property tax is based on where the vehicle/boat/plane is garaged/stored...3.6 cents/$100 dollars of value - dual residency is not the issue - VA will get their/your money no matter what. One of the few exceptions that I am famaliar with is for Active Duty Military personnel - personal property taxes based on Home of Record (where a person entered the service) so if your home state didn't have personal property taxes or if they don't charge military personnel who are out of the state you're golden.

if I could sell my house for what I owe/put in to it I would, but can't for a couple more years at this point based on the market conditions so will have suck it up

dbdb 09-10-2010 11:52 AM

Funny this thread popped up. I have been considering a new or newer boat, but I'm getting a little frustrated with the dealers and/or pricing. I just talked to a Nautique Dealer who had some left over models, and he was priced a little high in my opinion. He told me he could "work a real good deal. 82k for a new 2010 210." I almost told him he was crazy but then just politely said "thats a little out of my price range" before hanging up. He also tried to tell me he had a used 07 237 for 63k. These prices just seem so crazy to me...maybe its just me though. I might be onto another boat though...

bruizza 09-10-2010 12:29 PM

We bought a brand new boat about 2 months ago. So no plans to buy another one in the next 12 months. Might not buy one for the next 12 years haha.

guido 09-10-2010 12:37 PM

The prices are insane. It'll be interesting to see what happens. It's much like the property mortgage market. The long term low interest loans have allowed the prices of the boats to go up disproportionately to the value. If people were financing boats over 5 or 7 years, rather than 15, then the new sales prices would have to drop substantially.

7 years ago I bought a Sanger DLX wake edition for $27k. That same boat is mid $40k's now.
5 years ago I bought an X2 for $42k loaded. MCX motor, cruise, full ballast, stereo. That same boat now would be closer to $60k.

Luckily we got a great deal on our X-star because otherwise I don't think we could swing it. It was a lightly used '08 when we got it in '09. Thanks Nor-Cal Master Craft.

cadunkle 09-10-2010 12:50 PM

I'm not rich and doubt I ever will be, so I'll stick to my old junk. I'll never have $60k or more in my pocket to drop on a new boat. I recently bought a new to me boat and I'm sure it'll do what I need.

bawshogg 09-10-2010 1:36 PM

Last event I was at I got a chance to see a few VLX's loaded out priced in the 90's. Insane! I bought my VTX in 07' loaded up pretty nicely in the low 50's. Can't see getting rid of it when the new ones are listing in the mid 70's . The new boats have lot's of technology and even more bling, but not 20+k worth in my opinion.
Manufacturers seem to be trying to make up profit for smaller number of boats being sold by banging the few who will buy them . No new boats for me untill things get more realistic. Can justify a 90g purchase for something thaty gets used 50-75 hrs per year here in the pacific northwest, especially when you can pick up a slightly used model for 20-30k less in the used market right now. I really think these manufacturers are missing the target market with prices escalating 5-7k every year, more so in the current economic climate.

twelve02 09-10-2010 3:58 PM

I will NEVER buy a NEW boat, the pricing is insane and as soon as you pull it off the lot, its value instantly decreases. I think in the next few years the used market will get bigger. The new boat market of a few years ago is GONE. People who used their homes as ATM machines on easy credit to buy new toys can't afford their house much less a 70K toy, it's a much different landscape these days.

ronskal 09-10-2010 5:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dbdb (Post 1631860)
Funny this thread popped up. I have been considering a new or newer boat, but I'm getting a little frustrated with the dealers and/or pricing. I just talked to a Nautique Dealer who had some left over models, and he was priced a little high in my opinion. He told me he could "work a real good deal. 82k for a new 2010 210." I almost told him he was crazy but then just politely said "thats a little out of my price range" before hanging up. He also tried to tell me he had a used 07 237 for 63k. These prices just seem so crazy to me...maybe its just me though. I might be onto another boat though...

Just bought a new 210 SANTE and that quote was definately too high. Pricing is somewhat regional and I live in Teaxs where the economy is OK and 82k for the 2010 210 was about MSRP from what my dealer told me.

Prices are high, no doubt but the boats are getting better and better. My personal economy has been very good- steady and stable.

Matt 09-11-2010 9:41 PM

I'm planning to get a new Supra 242 this spring... I want to demo one as soon as the snow melts..

09-12-2010 12:51 AM

if i was going to spend 85 or 90k i'd definitely get a 911, even if it was a year or two old over a brand new boat. the only reason i'd get a new one is for the interior space, but it's just outrageous. i'll never buy another new boat either. year old is the way to go.

redsupralaunch 09-13-2010 7:33 PM

PLR

Sent you PM

09-13-2010 8:34 PM

2011 210 team msrp is 83k and some change, 230 team is 92k and byerly 210 is 105k. hopefully these companies think of themselves as women b/c buyers are gettin screwed.