WakeWorld

WakeWorld (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/index.php)
-   Archive through December 26, 2006 (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=401011)
-   -   Wedge Or Switchblade? Taps or Trim tab? (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/showthread.php?t=390366)

donnieb 11-18-2006 9:50 AM

Does anyone have experience comparing the Wedge (Malibu) to the SwitchBlade (Centurion)? What are the strengths and weaknesses of each? Please, no boat bashing here...I really want an honest comparison. <BR> <BR>Also, is the Tige TAPs really the same thing as the Centurion Trim Tab? They look identical. <BR> <BR>Thanks. <BR>DonnieB

swab791 11-18-2006 9:57 AM

Donnie you have a good eye !! <BR> <BR>At one time TIGE was made at the Centurian plant. That is why the hulls are the SAME. Trim tabs are exactly that. TRIM TABS ! Ballast is better !!!

jonb 11-18-2006 9:58 AM

taps and trim tabs do the same thing. Most people that I know w/the wedge would rather just add more ballest. but love what it does for the surf wake. The wedge makes the wake a lot steeper.

bigshow 11-18-2006 3:36 PM

TK, I don't think the hulls are the same.

cbk 11-18-2006 3:40 PM

The hulls are not the same, not even close. <BR> <BR> I am not a fan of either of the foils and I have plenty of experience with both. I would much rather have more ballast. Just my .02

krbaugh 11-18-2006 3:59 PM

There was a time when the Tige and Centurion hulls where EXCATLLY the same, However that was years ago. <BR> <BR> <BR>IMHO <BR> <BR>Taps and the benett trim tab on any boat do exactly the same thing. You can shape the wake and trim it down to make the wake a bit smaller and keep the boat from porpusing at higher speed. I believe the Tige hull works a bit better with a trim tab. However not matter what boat you have a trim tab on it will not replace ballast. <BR> <BR>The Switchblade and the wedge have the same thing in mind to make the <BR>wake bigger, without weight in the boat. They both will do that. You should try both to see if you will be satisfied with the wake that they produce. The standard wedge is not adjustable. The power wedge and the switchblade are adjustable on the fly. The good news is switch blade is on a pivot so when you make turns it will follow the rudder making turns easier than the either wedge models. The bad nes it is on a pivot and takes some getting used to around the dock. They both hang down and like the fins and rudder if you hit something it is going to cost some coin. Both types of wedges can be lifted out of the water easily. The Switchblade can be removed but not while you are in the water. <BR> <BR>(Message edited by krbaugh on November 18, 2006)

yosquire 11-18-2006 4:03 PM

I run an VLX with the wedge up all the time, except when surfing. I and my fellow riders prefer ballast for wakeboarding.

kevin_lsv23 11-18-2006 4:23 PM

The big plus with the wedge (manual in my case) is that it takes about 10 seconds to raise or lower. Compare that to the time it takes to fill and empty ballast tanks. If the area you are in gets too crowded you can just pull it up and run to another spot and drop it again. With my boat the wake is nicer with just wedge down and ballast empty than wedge up and ballast full. If I use both the wake is bigger than my 35 year old knees need, however my nephews may want to go bigger someday. Right now they won't even hit the wake full speed with just the wedge. Tabs can adjust the hull angle which may work for the right hull, but the wedge pulls the hull down deeper into the water, more like ballast does. The downside of the wedge is that it feels like it puts more drag on the engine than just filling the ballast tanks. I haven't had the boat long enough to compare fuel use between the ballast and the wedge, but I would be willing to bet that my boat uses a fair amount more fuel with just wedge than with just the ballast. Another plus to the wedge or tabs (assuming the tabs do a good job also) is that don't take up any space on the boat. Overall I think the wedge adds a lot to the wake for the small effort used to deploy it.

joe1975 11-20-2006 10:09 PM

I agree with what most people have said here. TAPS does work much more effectively that a trim tab, because it is combined with a convex hull- not a hooked hull, which allows the boat to settle deeper in the water when the 'tab' is in the neutral position (highest position). Hope this helps.

donnieb 12-14-2006 9:57 AM

Thanks everyone for your input! I appreciate it! <BR>Donnie