WakeWorld

WakeWorld (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/index.php)
-   Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3183)
-   -   Advice on a 6.4L PStroke (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/showthread.php?t=788936)

jmuthafnp 07-18-2011 7:10 AM

Advice on a 6.4L PStroke

I am looking at the following truck and was wondering if you could give me any advice on what to look for on the 6.4L PStroke. Mileage and price seems kind of high. Any help is appreciated.

Hate - Need your help buddy.

http://www.jackschmittford.com/used-...-bb749aa?tab=6

tmill 07-18-2011 7:29 AM

do some research on these trucks. when they first came out they had huge issues with the head gasket right around the T-stat. I dont remember exactly what happens but basically the head gasket goes and clogs the temp sensor. you dont know you are over heating until it is way too late and the head is warped. to make things worse to get the head off the whole cab has to be removed.

nitrousbird 07-18-2011 7:52 AM

I'd stick with a Duramax or Cummins.

theanimal 07-18-2011 8:01 AM

Sad to say man but the 6.4 is the only Diesel motor Ford made that was worse than the 6.0.
I have a 6.0 and If I had to do it all over again I would go for the new 6.7. That motor is a tank and will walk over the 6.4 and the 6.0.
I wouldnt own a Dodge if it were given to me.

jmuthafnp 07-18-2011 8:03 AM

I like the Dodges in the aspect of the Cummins motor, but the interior and interior space is dreadful. I like the Chevy appearance and the Duramax/Allison combo, but they are way to proud of their stuff, even used.

helinut 07-18-2011 8:23 AM

The 6.7 is sweet. I love mine! But even Ford is proud of them right now.

When I was doing my research, I stayed away from the 6.4. Heard nothing but problems from that motor. I was looking to get an 06 6.0 if I got anything. Ended up biting the bullet and went with the new 6.7.

timmyb 07-18-2011 8:27 AM

Mileage is a little high but that is a sweet looking truck! I think that price is probably spot on (depending on your market).

Thrall 07-18-2011 9:59 AM

Fuel mileage form everyone I know that has them is abysmal.
Otherwise the few I know of are holding together (stock).
Food for thought, Ford only made them for what, 3 years and then went to an entirely new engine. 6.0's really only went 4 years before being tanked.
Compare to the B-series Cummins in the Dodges. Same basic engine even in 6.7L configuration since 1989-90?
Look at the 6.6 Duramax. Still same basic engine since 01. 11 years and counting.
Yes, both the Dmax and the Cummins have had many changes/upgrades, most recently primarily emmissions related.
SInce Dodge began offering the 5.9 B Cummins in their trucks (engines were around before that in other applications), Ford has had a 6.9, 7.3 turbo, 7.3 Powerstroke, 6.0, 6.4 and now a 6.7. For the most part, they were all new engines.

Fiveflat 07-18-2011 10:01 AM

Inspect around the radiator carefully for any signs of stain from a leak. The '08s had issues with radiators. I was pretty fortunate and only had the issue once and it was recently. Got the new radiator and 2-stage reservior installed 2 weeks ago. A $2000 shop bill but I call Dearborn, MI and they paid for half of the bill as good faith.

If it doesn't have a leak and it has the old reservior, keep a close eye on it and don't drive it too hard...

Fiveflat 07-18-2011 10:03 AM

By the way all the diesels Ford had were Navistar (International) motors. They've changed up so much because of International and some input from Ford. The 6.7 'Scorpion' is Ford's own home built diesel. It should be a tank!

By the way, my 6.4 got around 13MPG until I recently got a recall notice for an ECU flash. I haven't checked it carefully yet, but I'd go out on a limb and say I'm getting at least 16-17MPG now. Good improvement!

Texan 07-18-2011 10:10 AM

Advice..... walk away.

Go old... 7.3 or new 6.7.

hatepain 07-18-2011 12:38 PM

Get me the VIN I'll pull an oasis on it and see whats been done to it.

jmuthafnp 07-18-2011 12:43 PM

1ftsw21r28eb47550

davenk 07-18-2011 4:24 PM

also check out an new F-150 Ecoboost, I got in a brand new Ecoboost 4x4 XLT for $33,000.

worththewake 07-18-2011 7:51 PM

FYI I have an 09 with the 6.4. Blown injector at 28,xxx miles and several times in the shop for the DPF sensor and now Ford has given me a 200,000 mile warranty with no deductible. As for towing I'm getting anywhere from 8.8 to 9 MPG. In city 12-13 MPG. Def not the reason why I bought the truck....had I known the mileage was going to be the same I would have stuck with my 1500 silverado....

hatepain 07-19-2011 2:44 PM

It has had all its recalls done. The only major problem its had was that the EGR broke and got stuck in the housing which they fixed in june of 09. The new flash was done on it May 31 of this year.

olmoomba 07-20-2011 8:55 AM

www.powerstroke.org

jmuthafnp 07-21-2011 8:36 AM

Well I really like this truck, but after reading horror story after horror story, I am a little turned off by it the issues listed and I still think that this truck should be under $30K. Guess I will stick with the Tundra. Thanks for the response and the comments.

worththewake 07-22-2011 7:12 AM

Five Flat
Do you have a number on the ECU flash recall? I contacted the dealer and they told me the only recall they had listed was the powertrain flash which they already did...
Thanks
Chris

txaggie929 07-22-2011 11:43 AM

I have an '08 6.4 (a Job 3 truck though), w/ about 38K miles with out a hint of a problem. However, I removed the DPF/cat, installed an intake & tuner over 10K miles ago, and the trucks runs super smooth and has too much power for my own good (over 500HP and 1K torque). I run Diesel Kleen in every tank to take up for the piss poor ULSD that we are getting these days. The thing that really screws these trucks up is the DPF. Rip your DPF/cat off, throw on a tuner & intake, and you're good to go. Just expect though that if you hammer on constantly, you're gonna run a risk. For every person with a 6.4 that has had a catastrophic problem, there's easily thousands who are happy as a clam. You have to keep in mind that the only people who usually post stuff on message boards are the people that are having problems, not the people who are content.

No matter what manufacturer you go with, you run the risk of having a problem. I personally know several people whose 6.7L Cummins GRENADED on them, BONE STOCK I might add. Just proof that no motor is bullet proof.

The best thing to do with the truck you are looking at is to look at the driver side door panel and see the manufacture date. From there, you can determine whether its a Job 1, 2 or 3 truck. Pre July 2007 = Job 1; August-Dec 2007 = Job 2; January 2008 & up = Job 3. I personally would avoid any Job 1 or 2 trucks unless you know they have replaced head gaskets or addressed the EGR, however there are lots of people who've had no problems with their Job 1 or Job 2 trucks. Also have that Ford dealership run an OASIS report and have them show you what recalls/repairs have been done.

worththewake 07-22-2011 3:27 PM

Paul,
Good heads up! Thanks for the advice! No trust me I understand; I'm happy with my truck and have enjoyed thus far even though it is a concrete queen...
Chris

kstateskier 07-22-2011 4:57 PM

Just looked at the original add, had to laugh, I have been eyeing that truck every day when I would drive by. Not used to seeing many Metro East posts on this board. I haven't seen that truck for a couple days, think they might have sold it.