WakeWorld

WakeWorld (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/index.php)
-   Archive through May 21, 2003 (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=68703)
-   -   XM Radio Installation (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/showthread.php?t=60145)

dmpappy 03-29-2003 3:33 PM

Going to set up the truck and boat with XM radio. For thoes of you with XM, two questions: <BR> <BR><b>How do you like it? <BR> <BR>Where did you mount the antenna <BR></b> <BR>I was thinking that I'd have to mount the antenna on the tower and fish the wires through. Just wonder if anyone mounted it in a more convenient location. <BR> <BR>Thanks.

farrell 03-29-2003 4:19 PM

I don't have it on the boat, but I love it in my car. If you can't find some tunes you want to listen to, you can switch it to sports, news, or comedy. Me and my buddy were going to lunch that first day we bombed Bagdad and I put it on CNN. We heard several minutes of the intense bombing live on the radio - that was eerie, but cool! <BR> <BR>I think I've read on here where people are able to mount the antenna hidden out of the way on their boat. Apparently, fiberglass doesn't block the signal. You might want to verify that in case I misread it.

auto 03-29-2003 5:07 PM

I mounted the antennae right in front of the drivers side windshield.

wantboatnow 03-29-2003 10:47 PM

I mounted mine coming out of the air intake on the drivers side infront of the glass. Looks clean and no wires show. Sounds great out there, just cant wait to get it hooked back up in my new truck. Im already sick of the radio.

cyclonecj 03-30-2003 8:37 PM

I found that if a person or object blocks the direct line from the antenna to the satellite, it loses contact. I didn't want to run wires up inside my tower, so I mounted the antenna all the way up in the bow. I mean all the way up there. It is not visible, but has great reception. I think it is the ideal place. My reciever is the Sony one, it sits down by the cupholder.

cyclonecj 03-30-2003 8:40 PM

It's awesome, by the way. I am pretty picky about tunes, I use it in my house, truck and boat. There is so much to chose from.

dmpappy 03-31-2003 6:47 AM

Psyclone. <BR> <BR>Did you mount the antenna under the fiberglass, out of view? Or is it on top on the bow, near the red/green light? <BR> <BR>I remember reading somewhere that radio waves go right through fiberglass and you can mount the antenna "inside" the boat.

captainfreedom 04-01-2003 10:08 AM

You can mount it under the fiberglass. I believe what Psyclone was saying is that he mounted it way up under the bow so the signal wouldn't get blocked when people got in the way. <BR> <BR>I have mounted a few of these all under fiberglass and have never had any reception problems.

cyclonecj 04-07-2003 5:54 AM

Yes, I mounted it up inside the nose of the boat. I stuck it to the inside of the hull with some of that heavy duty velcro, as far forward as I could reach. We'll see if it can hang through the double ups.