WakeWorld

WakeWorld (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/index.php)
-   Wakeboarding Discussion (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Texas Lakes (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/showthread.php?t=788888)

Shooter 07-14-2011 11:01 PM

Texas Lakes

I would like to relocate to Texas. I'm drawn to Texas because the cost of living is lower, less crowded and it sounds like a good place to raise a family with great places to ride. I would like to do a road trip to check it out and any suggestion would be appreciated. Where can I get lakefront or near lake property on a family friendly lake at a reasonable price. I'm leaning towards the DFW or Austin area, but know nothing about the lakes.

wakekat15 07-15-2011 5:44 AM

Austin is a GREAT area, but buying on Lake Austin is cost prohibitive for most people. Lake Travis is more affordable, but still pricey for a lake that varies dramatically in depth each year. Docks on Lake Travis/Pedernales are floating, so that you can move them in/out with the water level changes, which is a lot of work! DFW lakes are super crowed and quite a commute to the metro areas, but Lewisville is the better choice for decent water during the week.

One thing you forget to plan for in Texas is how high the property taxes are; allegedly due to no state income tax. But, we just moved back from Florida (no state income tax) and the property taxes were nearly half the rate charged in Travis County. Still, I love being back in Texas and highly recommend you check it out. If you come to the Austin area, send me a PM and I will give you a pull & show you the area towards the mouth of Lake Travis.

brett33 07-15-2011 6:45 AM

1 Attachment(s)
There are so many options for lakes in Texas. It's really all about your personal preference. I've been here for a while and can tell you Lewisville is slammed and dangerous. Lake front property in Austin is going to be a pretty penny. Granbury is a cool damned off river but can get crowded as well. Lake Whitney is really cool, lot of rock cliffs not really a "go to" riding spot tho. Most of the lakes in Texas are pretty nice and get decent water, but weekends on popular lakes are horrible. I live an hour east of Dallas on Lake Tawakoni and we get some great water year round. The only problem is, Tawakoni isn't considered a "recreational lake" so every year surrounding areas pump it hard. That's a factor you need to be sure and check, constant water level year round. Most metro area lakes wont have that problem around DFW

jcollinge 07-15-2011 7:25 AM

Prices for water front in and around Austin are very high (usually $1.5M+). You are better off looking at a neighborhood that has lake access (with a boat ramp and park). There are a few on Lake Austin and Travis.

stang_killa_ss 07-15-2011 7:42 AM

yeah i was going to say austin is one of the biggest/busiest cities in texas. prices are very high there. and lake austin and travis is useless on weekends.
i would look else where. texas has SOOOO many good lakes.

22vdrive 07-15-2011 7:45 AM

You should look into the Houston area tons of places to ride including my favorite the Trinity River. Cost of living will be cheaper than Austin area.

holmes 07-15-2011 9:30 AM

Central Texas is a hidden jewel with great lakes, lower property valuations, and smaller school districts. Georgetown, Salado, and Belton are a couple of good school districts, nice communities, all with lakes extremely close. Search for communities along I-35, you can get small town texas hospitality, uncrowded water, and venture into Austin or Dallas without much effort.
Lake Belton is our home lake, we are 8 min. from the ramp and ride often during week. Water front propety is very reasonable. If you are ever close, just holler and we would be happy to share the lake and show you around.

pickle311 07-15-2011 9:39 AM

It all depends on where you're coming from. We don't have room in Austin for anymore California transplants.

J/k man, it's awesome here, everyone loves it but you have to adjust to the heat and dry weather. It's been 100+ every day for the last several weeks and I have seen rain in months. Lake Travis is at 50% capacity right now, the Pedernales is completely dried up, so Lake Austin is getting all of the traffic and it sucks. My boat has been in the shop since May anyway so I don't care.

V237TX_Nate 07-15-2011 12:18 PM

It's not surprising that you want to move to Texas, afterall it is the best state. I'm a regular on Lake Belton, and Stillhouse Hollow Lake, both are great during the week and decent in the evenings on most weekends, when I do most my riding. Prior to that I was on Canyon Lake, its really crowded with high flucuation of water level. I'm in the process of relocating to Houston/ maybe Dallas (depending on where I get a job) and for Houston I'm looking at properties within 5 minutes of Lake Houston, which are pretty reasonably priced. Lake Conroe is crap, but out further east Livingston is great.

Shooter 07-15-2011 2:00 PM

Thanks for all the info and offers for a pull! Shane…I would be a Cali transplant and all I can say is that there is a reason so many of us want the hell out. Regarding the weather, I don't mind the heat, but I have never experienced high humidity. I assume the further south you get the more humid it gets. Anyone have a take on that…I went to a week long school in DFW and loved it, but that was during early spring and hate to make judgement on the weather without experiencing the summer months. Thanks again!

aBoMoFo 07-15-2011 4:57 PM

I have lived in Houston for nearly all my life and it seems that recently I keep bumping into more and more people that are Cali transplants. Very few of them regret moving here, I can think of maybe one out of a few dozen. Texas is a great state and the wakeboard community is growing across the state. Check out http://www.gcwa.com Gulf Coasts Wakeboard Association.

If you are looking at property around Lake Houston right now don't be quick to write it off. Yes, the lake is low and the Upper San Jacinto is little more than a creek with a nice lawn but when the water does get in the right place it is a decent place to ride and is about 40 minutes from downtown Houston. The Trinity River is a great place to ride and is about 90 minutes from downtown Houston.

The humidity will beat you down and in the first few weeks you will find new ways to sweat that you wouldn't believe, but you get used to it. The trade off is that the winters are fairly mild and you can ride nearly all year long with wetsuit and motivation.

Best of luck becoming a Texan!

waketx05 07-15-2011 6:23 PM

Another good thing to look forward to with moving to Texas.. With any area you decide to move to there will more than likely be a cable park nearby!!! XD

jasonpav 07-15-2011 8:27 PM

Also consider rivers. The Brazos river has some of the nicest places to ride where you encounter very few other boats, almost always have smooth water, and you don't need to turn for several miles

tman 07-16-2011 4:31 AM

IMO Lake Austin is one of the best in Texas; however, as puckhead stated it will cost at least 1.5mil to buy a nice house on the lake. Homes in the 800-900k range will popup, but they typically are very small and require lots of renovation.

Check out lake LBJ or Lake McQueeny in New Braunfels. If you're interested in Lake Austin, and don't have 1+mil to spend on a home, find a subdivision with deeded community slips or a private boat ramp. Our house is within walking distance to Lake Austin and have a slip with access to the lake for 1/3 the price of waterfront.

If you'd like the names of subdivisions with lake access or need a good realtor in the Austin area, let me know. My wife is a realtor and our house is about to be placed on the market.

you_da_man 07-16-2011 10:50 AM

I too ride Lake Belton 3 days per week usually. Weekdays you can find glass all day long. Nice thing too is that Lake Belton has spots that can still have good stretches of glass even in 3-+mph winds if you want to take your time to get through the open water first. Weekends are good on Lake Belton up to 11am-12noon and before sunset. No personal docks allowed on Lake Belton.

jperkinsttu 07-16-2011 4:45 PM

I would like to be the one to stick up for DFW lakes. I currently live right next to Lake Lewisville and try to ride anywhere from 3-4 times a week. "Slammed and dangerous" is a word for those who see the lake on holiday weekends and yes it is sometimes because it's the closest lake that people know about near Dallas. I actually went out on Memorial Day weekend every morning I could and I was the only one at my spot for 4 hours. Yes there are plenty of riding spots and there are going to be times where it gets crowded but I don't know of any spot that you would have to yourself 100% of the time. I used to ride Lake Lavon a lot which is NE of Dallas and a little more the speed of what people would call a calm lake. But the only decent riding spot would have anywhere from 1-5 other boats depending on the time of year. Lake Hubbard in Rockwall which is east of Dallas is the same way. All I'm saying is don't rule out any lakes around Dallas. If you're in town and wanna see what I'm talking about on Lewisville just send me a pm and I will do my best to show you around. I've seen the good, the bad, and the ugly everywhere around Texas whether it's rivers or lakes so I would base my opinion on which city I liked being around the most and cost. Good luck on your search and welcome to Texas.

Oh by the way most of the bigger lakes closest to Dallas don't allow docks on lakefront property, just food for thought.

Texan 07-18-2011 10:05 AM

Ya the weather sucks, the lakes are too crowded, you gotta learn spanish to live here, the terrain sucks it's all desert, the oil companies ruin everything and it's becoming harmfull to your health to live here. Seriously there is toxic fumes in the air everywhere. Texas sucks, you don't want to move here.

behindtheboat 07-18-2011 4:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jperkinsttu (Post 1693662)
I would like to be the one to stick up for DFW lakes. I currently live right next to Lake Lewisville and try to ride anywhere from 3-4 times a week. "Slammed and dangerous" is a word for those who see the lake on holiday weekends and yes it is sometimes because it's the closest lake that people know about near Dallas. I actually went out on Memorial Day weekend every morning I could and I was the only one at my spot for 4 hours. Yes there are plenty of riding spots and there are going to be times where it gets crowded but I don't know of any spot that you would have to yourself 100% of the time. I used to ride Lake Lavon a lot which is NE of Dallas and a little more the speed of what people would call a calm lake. But the only decent riding spot would have anywhere from 1-5 other boats depending on the time of year. Lake Hubbard in Rockwall which is east of Dallas is the same way. All I'm saying is don't rule out any lakes around Dallas. If you're in town and wanna see what I'm talking about on Lewisville just send me a pm and I will do my best to show you around. I've seen the good, the bad, and the ugly everywhere around Texas whether it's rivers or lakes so I would base my opinion on which city I liked being around the most and cost. Good luck on your search and welcome to Texas.

Oh by the way most of the bigger lakes closest to Dallas don't allow docks on lakefront property, just food for thought.

I just relocated to Dallas and would agree with all that Jarrod said. There's plenty of lakes with good water, and cable parks popping up left and right. Just watch out for stumps!

jcollinge 07-19-2011 3:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Texan (Post 1693895)
Ya the weather sucks, the lakes are too crowded, you gotta learn spanish to live here, the terrain sucks it's all desert, the oil companies ruin everything and it's becoming harmfull to your health to live here. Seriously there is toxic fumes in the air everywhere. Texas sucks, you don't want to move here.

He's right. Texas has become a toxic wasteland. Move along, nothing to see here...

deltariderscom 07-24-2011 4:13 PM

Well I have only been on a few lakes in Texas but I have no regrets for making the move to Texas. Well maybe one, I do miss the endless butter of the Delta but that's what vacations are for. I Rode Lake Austin this morning and it was a crap shoot for the good water, but that's A typical for a lake on weekends (even a weekend on the Delta can be that way).

Now I'm just looking to build the crew for regular riding so if your in the Austin area hit me up.

joeshmoe 07-24-2011 5:50 PM

texas

"Lake Whitney is really cool"
I don't think any lake in texas is going to be cool

trevorg7 07-25-2011 7:16 AM

Shooter - I think there is a lot of good information here. As a recent CA to TX transplant let me add some perspective.

I've been in TX (DFW area right next to Lake Lewisville) for 1 year after spending 38 years in San Jose. I can tell you the move has been great for the family (wife and kids who are 14 and 12). Quality of life is good, schools are great, people are friendly, etc. Almost all aspects of our quality of life have improved.

Regarding the crowded and dangerous lakes, I am not fully convinced this is true. When I compare a lake like Tulloch in CA to Lewisville on a given weekend, Tulloch is far more crowded and dangerous in my opinion. To the extent I would not board at Tulloch during day, only early AM and late evening. We loved Tulloch and would spend 15-30 days a year on the lake but there is far more room on Lewisville and I've never felt unsafe. Lewisville does have a reputation of being Lake Death as there are numerous deaths on the lake each year (8 last year I think). What they don't tell you is that half of those were from people swimming and drowning on the shoreline; unrelated to boating. Not trying to defend Lewisville because I now live here but that is my opinion after a year of being on the water here (about 4 times a month; mostly Saturdays).

Again, lots of good info already posted about no income tax, high property tax when compared to CA (CA = 1.1%, TX = 2+% depending on your area) I am paying 2.7%, general lower cost of living, lots of lakes within minutes to 1.5 hours (I used to pull 2+ hours to Tulloch or 1 hour to the delta but now I am 10 minutes from door to ramp), No many waterfront properties with docks here in DFW; a few were grandfathered but they are scares, It is hot here and we're going on 25 straight days of 100+ degrees, the water temp is too hot at 90+ (hard to get used to).

Around DFW there are numerous lakes within an hours drive; Lewisville, Ray Roberts, Ray Hubbard, Joe Pool, Eagle Mountain. I look forward to checking out Lake Texoma an hour north and have heard nothing but good things of Austin.

Good luck with your search.

T

brett33 07-25-2011 9:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by joeshmoe (Post 1695515)
"Lake Whitney is really cool"
I don't think any lake in texas is going to be cool

that's a real knee slapper there.. troll along now

joeshmoe 07-25-2011 3:06 PM

yah nauti, sorry to break in on your little circle party here, but I have been to lakes in MO and SC during the summer months and the water temps were in the 90's this might be fine for you, but to me its bath water and pretty miserable, along with your 100 dgr air temp. The best water/air temp is 85/80. Oh wait, that's what we get here in northern OHIO all summer long(so why am I looking for lake temps in texas?) sorry, I guess I am trolling,
carry on

brett33 07-26-2011 6:14 AM

http://www.arlut.utexas.edu/omg/weather.html

That would be Lake Travis in Austin, TX -water temp as of now, 78 and a high of 88.

trevorg7 07-26-2011 6:19 AM

^^^
That is a great link. Wish Lewisville had one.

T

scwellman 07-26-2011 9:51 AM

Texas is full...please check back later, thanks native Texan.

joeshmoe 07-26-2011 11:06 AM

high of 88, damn even the water is hot!!!

0klahoma_Breakdown 07-26-2011 12:48 PM

Hey McGavin, I will put in my two cents as we just moved to a lakefront community on Eagle Mountain Lake. We were living close to downtown Fort Worth and usually put in on Lake Worth but wanted to live as close to lakefront as possible. While Lewisville is the biggest lake around the thing about almost all DFW lakes is that you can not build your own dock. (there are some docks on Lewisville that are grandfathered in with long term leases) Lake Worth and Eagle Mountain allow docks so that is a major plus. Lake Worth is small and silted in and I realy would not reccomend buying there. Eagle Mountian though is a great value IMO. Just as a comparison, you can get into a great home just off lakefront with HOA ramp, dockage options starting in the 200's. I have seen many lakefront homes up for sale recently starting in the 450's with zero lot line borders or small acreage. Eagle mountain has several marinas and restairants to visit as well. It takes me 15 minutes to get to downtown Fort Worth from our home on the east side of the lake, 35 minutes to DFW airport for reference.
Good luck in your search!

denverd1 07-26-2011 1:12 PM

east of dallas

I live in Tyler, about 2 hrs east of Dallas. Got 5 lakes within 30 minutes of my house, including lake palestine that is 7 miles away. Tons of water around here and lots of fairly priced nice houses on the water. Or you could steal one for a couple hundred and put a little $$ into it if you were so inclined. Tyler's census will be over 100K people when it comes out, but there are 250,000 ppl that live within half an hour of city limit. Haven't redrawn city limit in a while.... Lots of great lake communities like this all over Texas. Cedar Creek is about an hour from Dallas. Tawakoni, Sam Rayburn, etc.

behindtheboat 07-26-2011 9:51 PM

interesting that Indian Lake in OH was 87 degrees, after heavy rainfall.

http://indianlake.com/forecast.htm

Lakes are lakes. Full of fun!

brett33 07-27-2011 6:44 AM

^^^
HAHA nice

joeshmoe 08-05-2011 1:13 PM

hmmm, never been on indian lake, sounds like an aberration, most lakes never even reach 87 on a typical summer, we enjoyed 82 high air temp and 80 water yesterday at west branch in ohio yesterday, perfect weather for wakeboarding.

08-05-2011 1:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by joeshmoe (Post 1698899)
hmmm, never been on indian lake, sounds like an aberration, most lakes never even reach 87 on a typical summer, we enjoyed 82 high air temp and 80 water yesterday at west branch in ohio yesterday, perfect weather for wakeboarding.

Ur not missing much...that lake is only good for fishing. Too many stumps and idiots

joeshmoe 08-06-2011 5:13 AM

There actually is a fish tagged that if caught is worth $1,000,000.00. The catch is, it can be in any of the lakes in Ohio.........
Indian Lake is a man made lake that averages a depth of 7ft. the water temp this morning was 78 dgrs.
How's all the hot bath water in all of the lakes down in Texas?

davenk 08-08-2011 10:38 AM

jo, being from Pennsylvania and relocating to Texas, the water is MUCH warmer here, warmer then bath water, more like hot tub warm, but in the fall we have warm water up until late and October and ride well into November. I never rode in NIvember when we lived in Pennsylvania. October was winterizing time and November was time to get sleds out, fuel them up and do a once over before the snow flies. Most people in Texas haven't heard of winterizing their boats (until the last two winters anyway when it got real cold here).

joeshmoe 08-08-2011 12:09 PM

Thanks Dave, I just wanted to know what times of the year the water was between 70-80 degrees in texas, like the water is up here all summer long. At least you get to ride nice weather in the Fall and in the Spring, but lately I've been going to florida in the winter or Spring to get some nice water riding in.

fuller313 08-10-2011 8:50 AM

My father has a house up for sale on Lake McQueeney in New Braunfels TX. It is about 20-25 minutes away from texas ski ranch. Here is some of th info on it.

House info: 5+ bedrooms, 3.5 baths, loft, game room, family room, formal dining, living room, 2 car detached garage w/covered walkway, courtyard, over 4,000 square feet. Two water heaters, jacuzzi tub in master bath, hot tub on outside deck, boat and jet ski lifts, granite tops in kitchen and baths, new flooring whole house, many new appliances and fixtures, many custom cabinet built-ins, and much more. Owner may provide financing. Very clean. Even nicer than pics show. (702) 778-5051 $650,000

Pics
http://i1083.photobucket.com/albums/...3/IMG_5565.jpg

http://i1083.photobucket.com/albums/...3/IMG_1868.jpg

http://i1083.photobucket.com/albums/...3/IMG_1869.jpg

http://i1083.photobucket.com/albums/...3/IMG_5569.jpg

cadunkle 08-11-2011 5:43 PM

What lakes or rivers in TX allow private docks, are ridable, and have affordable property for normal people? I'm talking like $100k-$200k can get you something on the water. I was looking at SC to relocate for the affordable waterfront, down there you can even find them for under $100k on dockable lots. Unfortunately there don't seem to be many jobs in my field in SC so that's not helping.

No wife or family or anything so I don't need anything big or fancy, just a place to lay my head and keep the boat in the water. Figure if I'm gonna pack my bags and move to a state that I can actually enjoy and afford I might as well do it while I'm still young and not tied down. TX is just one on the list but worth checking out.

migs 08-11-2011 7:03 PM

WOW! thats what 650K gets u in TX!!!! SO JEL!
u should see what 650 gets u in the bay area. I think im moving!!!!!
nice setup right there

kskonn 08-10-2012 8:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by migs (Post 1700649)
WOW! thats what 650K gets u in TX!!!! SO JEL!
u should see what 650 gets u in the bay area. I think im moving!!!!!
nice setup right there

It Also gets you a house that floods. That is the catch on mcqueeney. Seems like McQueeny has been a fire sale lately. My house on the next lake down in the chain is half the size at the same price.

kskonn 08-10-2012 8:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cadunkle (Post 1700636)
What lakes or rivers in TX allow private docks, are ridable, and have affordable property for normal people? I'm talking like $100k-$200k can get you something on the water. I was looking at SC to relocate for the affordable waterfront, down there you can even find them for under $100k on dockable lots. Unfortunately there don't seem to be many jobs in my field in SC so that's not helping.

No wife or family or anything so I don't need anything big or fancy, just a place to lay my head and keep the boat in the water. Figure if I'm gonna pack my bags and move to a state that I can actually enjoy and afford I might as well do it while I'm still young and not tied down. TX is just one on the list but worth checking out.

You can get a 1/2 Acre lot on my lake in Texas for about 200k, not a house though.

vette74 08-13-2012 11:25 AM

Our house on the San Bernard we will probably have $190-$200k into it for the lot, bulkhead repairs, 1400 sf house, 1400 sf garage, double boat house w/ deck, septic, well

txwakerider14 08-13-2012 12:46 PM

Lake Mcqueeny, Placid, Dunlap and Austin all have water temps below 80 in the summer