WakeWorld

WakeWorld (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/index.php)
-   Archive through August 06, 2007 (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=487398)
-   -   4300 for a new single axle MasterCraft trailer... (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/showthread.php?t=480666)

wakesk8er2 07-25-2007 8:00 PM

yeah, 4300 is the price I got quoted from Liquid Sports Marine here in Jax. I've got a '97 PS 205 that's in need of a new trailer, so I go in expecting to be 2500-3000 range, ready to pay. I go in and they're telling me 4300. Were they just not wanting to deal with me or what? Has anyone else gotten a price quote like this?

clearlakescott 07-25-2007 8:07 PM

I got one like that here in Orlando. They go well beyond that mark too!

malibuboarder75 07-25-2007 9:53 PM

We just bought a new single axle trailer from boatmate for our malibu. It was galvanized too, plus loaded with a bunch of add-ons. I think we paid $2900. I also picked up the trailer in TN. Part of that 4300 is shipping I am sure. Plus it is florida (salt water), so new trailers are in higher demand.

rich_g 07-26-2007 7:01 AM

<a href="http://www.tmcowners.com/market/showproduct.php?product=1558&amp;cat=6" target="_blank">http://www.tmcowners.com/market/showproduct.php?product=1558&amp;cat=6</a> <BR> <BR>Justin, check this out over on TMC, it should fit your boat and it's in Florida.

ldr 07-26-2007 7:05 AM

That's a good find Rich.

big_poppa_pump 07-26-2007 2:41 PM

No kidding, if that was anywhere close to AZ I would be all over it for my 99 X. My trailer is getting pretty hammered.

phatboypimp 07-26-2007 3:54 PM

I am not sure if your trailer is able to be refurbished, but I just had mine redone for $2K and I could not be happier. It is like a brand new trailer.

malibuboarder75 07-26-2007 6:44 PM

$2k??? For another grand you could have just bought a new one.

doug2 07-26-2007 6:52 PM

Find a local trailer shop and get a quote for the parts you need. A new axle, spindles, bearings, and hubs should be under $1000. Bunk replacement only takes a couple hours and maybe $75. <BR> <BR>What is wrong with your current trailer? Is it rusting out??

buzz_grande 07-26-2007 6:57 PM

Just my opinion, but please spend the extra cash and get a tandem axle trailer. Single axle trailers are for very small and light boats. I have seen what happens when you have a blowout on a single. Not pretty!!

malibuboarder75 07-26-2007 7:06 PM

Buzz, our new trailer had like a 6000lb axle (overkill for our small malibu). Tandem axle isn't really necessary unless you drive long distances to the lake. Just get a spare.

ronskal 07-26-2007 7:16 PM

That's too much for a SA trailer, your getting a high markup price I figure. <BR> <BR>I have an MC with a SA trailer and I would likely look at lessor cost brands since the MC trailer is good but not great. <BR> <BR>I disagree with Buzz, a SA is fine for you needs. I wanted a tandem for my boat but ended up with the single and quickly realized it has its advantages too. Less rolling drag, less wheels to service, less tires to replace, way easier to back in my garage. A lot of people want tandems cause they look cool and I agree they look bada$$ compared to a SA trailer. <BR> <BR>Just my experience........

jmanolinsky 07-27-2007 4:42 AM

I agree with Ron. IMHO, tandem axle trailers are way overated. They do look better, but are a pain to maneuver and have twice the hardware to maintain. As for blowouts on SA trailers, last fall I had a blowout running about 75 mph on the interstate. I simply pulled over to the shoulder without incident and changed it. I doubt that the manufacturers would offer their boats on SA trailers if the trailers weren't rated to carry the load. At the same time, if the customer wants to spend the extra money to get the tandem axle, I'm sure they have no problem selling the more expensive trailer. It sure is nice being able to easily roll my boat and trailer around in the garage to get it tucked into the corner.

mastercraftx10 07-27-2007 6:35 AM

I am ordering a tandem axel trailer right now because my x-10's single axel trailer has had so much problems with blowouts and this time the passenger side tire fell right off..they say the lugs were too tight....when this happened it bent up the metal parts under the fender in which they tore away from the square tubing (main frame) Insurance totaled it thank goodness..so right now we are in the process of order a new trailer but Dorsey wants 5900 for a custom built x-10 trailer...it's on 03 so matsrecraft doesn't make the trailer anymore...think about Mcclain or Sun tech trailer right now...just my .02...go with tandem axel...even blowouts aren't fun

big_poppa_pump 07-27-2007 11:17 AM

The MC single axle is pretty burly. I was a bit skeptical about it at first, but its 7 years old and still going. If you don't tow real often and for long stretches, I think its fine. <BR> <BR>There're nothing really wrong with mine where I'd need a new one, I was just making the comment that the one for sale was brand new and cost less than what it would take to refurb the old one. <BR> <BR>On top of that, being able to sell the old trailer for some amount of money and even lessen that amount makes it real attractive. (Plus it makes swapping trailers as simple as pulling boat out to the lake one day rather than waiting on a refurb. <BR> <BR>If I had a choice, I'd go with a tandem just for the blowout risk and being able to limp home or at least somewhere safe in the event of a failure but with the Diesel SuperDuty I have the torque to just pull the trailer home on the bare axle laying sparks down the whole way. <BR> <BR>Anyhow, good deal on that trailer. If he drops the price any further I'd seriously pick it up and have it shipped I think.

mwmc_andy 07-27-2007 1:29 PM

Justin, <BR> <BR>If you have a '97 205 it is a direct drive. The new (X-1 trailer) will fit the hull but the axle is in the wrong place (too far back since it is for a V-Drive). The new trailer would be a nightmare. You need to make sure you are getting a trailer that either was designed for a DD or has an axle you can move. A DD on a V-Drive trailer will have a ton of tongue weight and trailer horrible.

woreout 07-27-2007 2:02 PM

MC trailers are expensive but they do fit like a glove and look great. MC makes them at the factory and each hull has its own trailer. Most other Mfgs use aftermarket trailers that are great in quality, but may be a one trailer fits all kinda deal, or fits 2 or 3 different models. MC is proud of there trailers no doubt. They do come with alloy wheels, boat buddy, disc brakes and what I think is awesome the Oil Bath Bearings. <BR>Justin, if you pm me I know the GM at Liquid Sports and I would be happy to give him a call for you. <BR>Billy <BR> <BR>(Message edited by woreout on July 27, 2007)

jmanolinsky 07-28-2007 8:45 AM

Great point, Andy!

wakesk8er2 08-01-2007 6:54 PM

thanks everyone for the advice. I wasn't able to get a hold of the steal that was posted earlier, but thanks for the heads up Rich. <BR> <BR>everyone in town wants to custom build a trailer for like 5000.00. i'll pass on that, so i guess i'm just gonna keep searchin for a used one

curtisco24 08-02-2007 9:07 AM

I had a wheel come off a brand new x-1 last year on a single axle. MC tried to say I overtightened the lugs, I never touched them. I told them they could give me a tandem or take the boat back. They gave me a tandem.