WakeWorld

WakeWorld (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/index.php)
-   Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3183)
-   -   iPhone/iPod STereo Setup with waterproof remote (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/showthread.php?t=784209)

JamesPB22 10-16-2010 11:16 PM

iPhone/iPod STereo Setup with waterproof remote

Okay here goes...

It may be way out there but just all you tech heads out there might be able to lend some advice and knowledge. I am after hooking up an infrared waterproof remote control so that it works on my iphone as well as the head unit. That way when we play music through the head unit the remote works and when we switch it across to the iphone the remote still works. Planning on installing a docking station setup on my boat and have an RF remote with an Infrared signal emitter to the infrared sensors on the head unit and the iphone. (http://www.rocktheboataudio.com/html/38268.html). the idea is the remote can be worn (like a wrist watch) by a wakeboarder whilst riding out the back of the boat, allowing the rider to select the music and volume.

Being RF the Magnadyne universal remote does not require line of sight and works up to 150ft away. As I don’t use my head unit very much for music selection, but would still like to have it controlled by the remote, i planned on connecting my iPhone4 directly to the head unit. by doing this I would be able to use the waterproof universal remote to turn the volume up and down through the head unit but was thinking as we use the iphone a lot more, of somehow hooking up an infrared receiver to the iphone so that it picks up signals "track forward & track back" from the remote? so therefore allowing the wakeboarder to control the volume and tracks...

I want the rider to be able to select the volume and track using the remote. I may be wrong here but when hooking the iphone up to a headunit via the 3.5mm jack into the RCA left and right audio of the head unit, you can use the head unit to alter the volume but cannot use the headunit to stop, play pause and skip tracks. As my head unit has an infrared remote already (not waterproof) that would mean I can change the volume only by any remote.

I have heard that to have full use of all the buttons on a remote or head unit in conjunction with the iphone you need to connect the phone by USB. my headunit does not have USB connection. however would this work:

connecting the normal white USB SYNC cord to the bottom of the phone then connecting the USB end of the SYNC iphone Cable to a USB conversion to left and right audio cable and connecting it to the head unit that way? or is that just taking the USB data from the phone then converting it back to left and right audio???

another option i have considered is the following:

How about splitting the RF receiver so that it has two IR transmitters. one attached over the IR receiver of the head unit and one attached to the IR receiver of the iphone. for that i would need to get the IR attachment for the iphone and an IR remote as well so that I can tune it into the waterproof remote. So that way I can tune the remote volume source and mute buttons to the head unit and then tune the track up and down buttons to the iphone???

Done some research and i think the second option will work... I want to install the remote into my system with the HSE unit Volume Control & WS420 EQ. the iphone setup will be just a defender series hard case otterbox, dove tailed jointed onto the dash for a slim line minimal look.
http://www.rocktheboataudio.com/photos/38268b.jpg
http://www.rocktheboataudio.com/photos/50320b.jpg

i will need to plug in both the infrared receiver to the iphone and also want to be able to charge the phone wile playing so also will need an adaptor to allow a cigarette 12v plug. Just need to price up all the accessories i need and see if it’s worth it.... will need the following:

1 x Dual Link Splitter Cable For iPhone (USB to 2 SYNC points) - $20 (image below)
http://www.gadgetfolder.com/wp-conte...and-ipod-1.jpg

1 x Female to Female double ended USB Connector - $1 (image below)
http://image.pushauction.com/ViewPic...4-b1917e691ea4

1 x 1 x Normal SYNC cable - $2

1 x car 12v car charger plug that accepts USB input - $5
Will allow me to plug in the Infrared Receiver to the iPhone and also have a charging point that can connect to the 12v power supply (cigarette lighter point). Don’t think there is a cable out there available that splits the SYNC cable into a double adaptor so have created my own. The only one I could find was the Duallink Splitter which splits the USB into two SYNC cables & points.

Will also need these:
1 x Infrared emitter to 3.5mm jack to place over the iphone IR receiver - $20 (image below)
http://images.marketplaceadvisor.cha...1/ir1000.1.jpg

1 x 3.5mm jack dual splitter - to split the IR receiver coming from the RF Receiver so that both head unit and iphone can be controlled by the waterproof remote. - $1 (image below)
http://imgs.inkfrog.com/pix/ashopone...ne-adapter.jpg

1 x apple IR remote - to assist in tuning signal responses into the new waterproof remote. - $20(image below)
http://www.machoe.com/wp-content/upl...ple-remote.jpg

1 x iPhone IR receiver to receive signals from new waterproof remote - $40
http://cache.gawkerassets.com/assets...x270-30875.jpg

Total around $110 - opinions welcome and advice if this will work would be great!! find below a rough wiring diagram of the WS420, HSE unit & waterproof remote. Just realised that the duallink SYNC iphone cable to USB wont work as i need to female inputs to plug in the charger and ifrared receiver. will do some reasearch to find a cable that will work.

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4091/...4985e5b3_b.jpg

shawndoggy 10-17-2010 8:23 AM

OK, call me crazy, but if the iphone has to be plugged in to power anyway, why not just get a deck with a usb in that will control the ipod? Then your wireless RF remote will control the deck, which has control of the ipod? USB decks can be had for $200 or less.

Your system may work but there are so many links in the chain that could break that I'm betting you'd find it frustrating to use. Nobody wants to have to go through 20 minutes of setup and troubleshooting every time they get on the water (a fact I've had to learn in practice myself). I'd advise keeping it simple, even if that means giving up a feature or two (USB deck would mean you'd not be able to control ipod via ipod, rather via deck only).

I went with a bluetooth deck, which allows me to play wirelessly from the phone... but that's the same as 3.5mm to deck in your example, where music is controlled on the phone only, not on the HU.

cowwboy 10-17-2010 9:00 AM

Most decks with a usb control allow you to choose which controls the ipod.

grant_west 10-17-2010 10:57 AM

The more crap like splitters 3.5mm jack to RCA splitters line drivers remotes and eq's you have in between your source and your amps the
more things to go wrong and adjust and cloud your signal.
IMO you want A head unit and a good iPod jack the connects to the base of your iPod and charges it and gives you a RCA out, that RCA out should go to a aux in on your head unit and then to a eq. And that's. No remotes no volume control no splitters no jacks that's it. IMO it's just more things to adjust and create noise and mess with. Pl

The idea of a rider being able to turn up and down an change tracks sure sounds super Neet O but in reality seems like the steps you need to add or take will do more for complicating and messing up your system then it will do adding to your system. It seems like there are a few diffrent system owners out there #1 owners that want the cleanest clear troubble free system and # 2 owners that want every bell and whistle a remote at every corner of the boat and the ability to adjust your system from their smart phone ect. My advice is keep it as simple as you can when it comes to your signal and volume control. Keep as little connections or splitters between your signal and your amps and you will have less problems and over all your system will sound better

david_e_m 10-17-2010 4:22 PM

The signal quality coming out of the Ipod's bottom jack is far superior to that coming out of the top 3.5 mm jack. Definitely clean that up.

JamesPB22 10-17-2010 4:47 PM

Sweet so the best bet would be to install a USB compatible Head Unit. that way avoiding the IR requirement to the iphone and only needing to connect the IR remote to the head unit. with a USB connected headit will this also charg ethe iphone when playing?

hatepain 10-17-2010 6:51 PM

Yes it will charge it as well as allow you control over the important music functions of th iPhone. You may look to see if your particular HU make offers an iPod control peripheral. Thats how my HU is and I can use the remote to control the iPod.

JamesPB22 10-17-2010 7:46 PM

YEa sounds great! exactly what i am after... what Headunit model do you have that allows peripheral control of iphone through the headunit remote? i am after a pretty cheap headunit as my system is running off the WS420 and amps. so the headunit is only for storing CD's and help controlling the ipod... any suggestions on the cheapest that aloows the USB connection and control of Ipod/iphone?

hatepain 10-17-2010 8:24 PM

I have a Kenwood but would go with an Alpine if I were to replace it. IDA-X305

ilikebeaverandboats 10-17-2010 8:28 PM

yup. just get a head unit with ipod control, done deal.

hatepain 10-17-2010 8:33 PM

Are you looking at doing the iRock http://www.earmarkcaraudio.com/Xcart...cat=284&page=1

JamesPB22 10-17-2010 9:19 PM

yea but that suits the kenwood system. as im not sure what my headunit will be i think i will opt for the Magnadyne Remote as its universal. almost the same thing! just mean i can manually tune the remote signals into any stereo with IR.

david_e_m 10-18-2010 5:06 AM

An Alpine source unit, for example, controls the Ipod and has a radio frequency remote control available. Why introduce a third party infrared link that is not necessary.

JamesPB22 10-18-2010 5:56 AM

Your spot on david... however i have purchased the Magnadyne Remote before i did my research and before i realised i would need another headunit.... would have been smart to opt for the alprine headunit with ipod control & USB and went with the similar Alpine Waterproof RF remote... what head unit do you reccommend? i have been leaning towards the pioneer DEH-P6050UB.. do you have any other reccomendations? i will have a browse on your website!

RanchDweller 10-19-2010 2:28 PM

Where can i find more information about the i-rock remote. How far will it transmit?

JamesPB22 10-19-2010 2:55 PM

I'm sure david from earmark can help you out!!!

david_e_m 10-19-2010 3:33 PM

Ranch,
One Billllion miles!
Many of the RF remotes claim 100 to 150 feet. That is not what we generally experience. We find them to be very reliable at 50 feet. For more range we locate the receiver in the transom, or the transmitter side of the engine block.

James,
Have zero familiarity with the Pioneer so I'm not qualified to comment on that one. But we use and like the Alpine marine source units like the CDA-118M, CDA-9886M or the IDA-X100M.

David
Earmark Marine

JamesPB22 10-19-2010 4:04 PM

is the apline CDA-9886M or the IDA-X100M compatible with IR, have Rear USB input? am planning on using it with the iphone 4. will it be compatible? also do the units have dual control of both head unit and iphone when usb connected? cheers...

Tmannsx80 10-21-2010 11:20 PM

http://audioengineusa.com/Store/Audioengine-W2

david_e_m 10-21-2010 11:30 PM

That which is controlled by the source unit is then automatically controlled by the source unit's remote controls. The Alpine independently provides for both a radio frequency keyfob remote as well as installed display remotes (which happen to be on a separate connector but are also linked via RF to eliminate long, expensive connecting cables.

acurtis_ttu 10-22-2010 6:45 AM

My experience with anything IR on a boat has not been very good. they never seem to work correctly, and it's hit or miss if they even do pickup the signal. I've had much better luck with wireless remotes ( if hard wired remote is not an option) . they are a bit more finicky, but once you get the "delay" down they are veyr reliable up to about 50-75 feet.

I'm with grant, the less you have in your sytem to worry about he better......I had all kinds of add on's on my system previously, I have since removed it all. Pay the extra $$4 to get a high quality HU that has all the options you need. I am a huge fan of all alpine HU's.

murphy_smith 10-22-2010 9:25 AM

Agreed....simpler is better and cleaner.

I run an alpine cda 9886 with a peripheral is75 cable. I would run the Alpine Full Speed cable but I prefer to be able to control my music via the ipod not the head unit. The is 75 gives you the option to use the connection on the bottom or top of the Ipod/Iphone as well as let's you charge thru the bottom connection.

Other than that....I run an Audiocontrol Matrix Line Driver to deliver a strong signal to my amps.

Pretty simple

mikeski 10-22-2010 9:55 AM

My boat has what you are trying to get. It's been that way for 2 summers so there may be a better way to do it now but here's what I did.

I have a Clarion CMD5 and CCAIPOD interface. It controls the IPOD but not that well but it works well the way I use it. I queue up a playlist then plug the IPOD into the CCAIPOD. Note the CCAIPOD is not iPhone compatible so you may need to go the Alpine route instead if you must have the iPhone instead of the iPod. The forward, back, and pause functions of the IPOD and the power, volume, source functions of the deck are controlled by all my remotes, drivers, transom, and iRock rf wireless waterproof remote. My iRock will work from the end of the wakeboard rope but it's not 100%, I need to move around on the wake until the rf signal starts making the deck respond.

Since installing the HSE revolution autovolume box I find I don't need to control the stereo from the riders spot so I mainly use the remote when we are parked. My iRock is 4 years old and the case is a tad warped so it's not currently waterproof. I need to put a bead of vaseline around the seal then it should be sealed again.

One more thing, IR remote signals do not work in direct sunlight so you can cross that technology off your list if you plan to use it in daylight.

PM me directly to: mikeskiw@gmail.com if you have any additional questions

JamesPB22 10-24-2010 1:49 PM

Gone with the Apline CDA105 HEad unit hopefully this should work with the iPhone4. The Waterproof remote is IR only from the receiver to the headunit. The head unit is currently mounted in the stock position in the malibu under the drivers arm rest flap so will not get any direct sunlight unless you lift the flap. the IR emitter sits ontop of the face of the headunit right on the Head units IR receiver. the IR receiver box also is not in driect sunlight mounted towards the transom to get further distance from the remote. We are talking RF from the wireless remote to the RF receiver in the boat NOT Infrared. the reciever then transfers the signal from RF to IR and signals the headunit through IR (and as i mentioned is not in direct sunlight). so hopefully this should work (in theory)...

mikeski 10-24-2010 10:16 PM

I bet iRock has a compatible rf remote that would work with your head unit:

http://www.h2owaves.com

or

mickc@ideasthatfloat.com
phone: 913.254.0887

Also looks like they have more cool stuff coming out:

http://www.ideasthatfloat.com/prospecPress.html

bwake 10-24-2010 11:58 PM

Can i just ask why you would bother?

david_e_m 10-25-2010 9:38 AM

Why bother? Well, because there is a perpetual byproduct in the design where if it works it will generate more energy than it consumes.

JamesPB22 10-25-2010 1:30 PM

Sarcasm?

david_e_m 10-25-2010 2:39 PM

James, No, not at all. :D

JamesPB22 10-25-2010 3:00 PM

Ha... well heres my opinion. I see the wireless RF waterproof remotes pretty usefull and universal application wise. You could use it in the boat as remote for passangers. Put in on your steering wheel, as the 06 malibus have the stereo in a shoit location to the side under the driver armrest & Use it when your camping next to your boat and want some tunes playing or wear it while boarding. all with the one remote. For $40 (if it works to what is specified) i thinks its a sweet deal. transom remotes are something i wouldnt bother with. think they are a waste of time. who actually uses these? only time you woulud use it is when your about to enter the water for your ride? or swimming in a lake around the boat? With the irock or the magnadyne you can use it while your riding, not only just before you jump in & if your swimming in a lake around your boat on a stinking hot day you can wear it in teh water and control the stereo without having to swim back to the transom. not that i do take a random swim in the middle of the river.

bwake 10-26-2010 3:02 AM

No scarcasm from me. I dont know about the rest of you but when I go for a ride im more focused on learning something new or having a good time, rather than what song is playing on my boat and whether i can hear it from 70 foot away.

I've been into audio for years (cars and now just learning about boats) and technically the idea is kinda interesting, but whats the point?

Perhaps excuse the ignorance here, but it just sounds way too..... douche bag for my liking.