WakeWorld

WakeWorld (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/index.php)
-   Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3183)
-   -   Mooring cover options? (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/showthread.php?t=785541)

cadunkle 01-17-2011 5:26 PM

Mooring cover options?

Not sure which way to go on a mooring cover. Last year I finally stepped up to an inboard, an '89 Saltare. It came with a cover that works well enough on the trailer, as I have to tie it off the to frame of the trailer to keep it tight (unfortunately the boat lives outside, too big to fit in the garage). In the summer I go and stay on a lake for a week or two and the boat stays in the water, so I need a good cover I can use at a mooring or dock.

I've always had snap covers. Not crazy about snaps all over, but they are damn convenient. I was thinking of getting a price on a snap cover as after the snow is done I'll be taking the boat to a local shop that does upholstery to have a couple seats redone. I was thinking of having them do a snap cover while it's there. Not sure what's best though, snaps below the rub rail to hide them, but then it will cover the cleats which would suck if I ever get suck using a dock to tie up. If I do one around the bow and windshield to rear it will leave the vents on the side open, allowing water in. I hate to let anything in with a wood boat. Stringers and floor were re-done but I'd like them to stay dry and solid.

Other option I've seen on some boats is a sover that goes around the rub rail and has a ratchet around the whole length to tighten below the rail. This could be a good option too. Never had one like this so not sure how well they work, but it doesn't sound too bad and would keep it all dry. Again this would cover the cleats though, which would suck tying up at a dock.

Any thoughts on a cover? What do you guys prefer? Any other options? What is a fair price?

RedRum 01-17-2011 8:42 PM

I am in the market for a cover. Was considering the snap on style, but cringe at the thought of putting snaps in the fiberglass of the Malibu. I learned of these covers, and from what I hear, they are top notch.
http://www.evolutioncovers.com/Cover...php?aa=0&si0=3

lionel 01-17-2011 9:34 PM

Another option. I've heard great things about the evolution covers. I didn't know about them before I got a waterline cover from here:

www.skiboatcovers.com

cadunkle 01-18-2011 9:48 AM

Evolution has no patterns to make a square windshield Saltare cover. Skiboatcovers.com lists my boat. Does anyone have experience with them that could comment on quality, fit, and attachment method? What about the different material choices and options on the covers? I'll shoot them an email for more info but impressions from those who have used them are best.

bill_airjunky 01-18-2011 4:35 PM

I have a Rankin cover which is the old company Cory worked for before he started Evolution (other Cory). Their covers have a drawstring that pulls tight under the rub rail. I've had this type of cover by other manufacturers in the past too & find they are a lot better than any snap on cover, better sun & rain protection, easier to put on the boat, etc.

Skiboatcovers.com is known for a lesser quality cover than the Evolution, but their Sunbrella covers are still very good. You will most likely find that it's not usable when you are towing at freeway speeds (like the Evolution). But when properly installed & supported, it should be fine while the boat is moored, parked in your driveway, etc.

rallyart 01-19-2011 8:20 AM

My boat stays on the water for a couple months over the summer and we don't put a mooring cover on it unless we are away from the lake for a few days. Then I look at how much of a pain it is to put the cover on and off while on the water and just pull the boat out.
I looked at below rail snaps but they are hard to do up if the boat is on the water. I'd like to get a bow cover but have not got one figured out yet that does not have snaps where you rest an arm while lounging. Other than that, it's just so easy to get back out in the boat with no covers that I think my boat will never spend much time under a cover if I'm at the lake.

nauty 01-19-2011 8:27 AM

No matter which cover you choose I would stay away from the Sharkskin material. Either get the cheapo canvas or pay the $$$ for Sunbrella that Evolution and others use. I spent $400 on a Sharkskin cover 2 1/2 years ago. The cover is strong and keeps the elements out, but UV rays are breaking it down. It is a colored cover (blue) and it started staining my upholstery about a year ago. It's getting progressivley worse as time goes on. Wherever the cover touches my vinyl it is leaving blue stains.

About the only thing that gets the stains off is "Off Bug Spray" and the bug spray is drying out my vinyl.

RedRum 01-19-2011 11:00 AM

Another suggestion when shopping for a cover...
Be VERY weary of any cover that says it is 100% waterproof. This will not let any moisture inside your escape, and in essence, creating a greenhouse. This could, in turn, promote mold and mildew growth. You want a cover that is breathable, keeping the elements out, but allowing moisture in the boat under the cover to escape. Another reason to go with Sunbrella.

fabs128 01-19-2011 5:52 PM

I have a Rankin cover and I love it. It is the best cover I have ever had. Keeps the rain out and keeps the sun off of it when I am not using it. I have had it out and it has rained for days and there was no water in it. I would reccomened Evolution. They can be pricey but worth it.