WakeWorld

WakeWorld (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/index.php)
-   Wakeboarding Discussion (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Bob Soven is now a partial owner of Cowtown Cable (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/showthread.php?t=797187)

baska 03-06-2013 4:04 PM

Bob Soven is now a partial owner of Cowtown Cable

Just found it at LF fanpage:
"FORT WORTH, TX – March 4, 2013 - Cowtown Wakepark, one of Texas’ premier wakeboard facilities, is proud to announce that Bob Soven is now a partial owner of the complex, becoming one of the first pro riders to take an ownership position in the wakepark industry. Soven, though a ripe 21 years old, is a seasoned professional and one of the most respected athletes in the action sports community."

durty_curt 03-06-2013 5:41 PM

Ginga what?!

SS_Hooke102 03-06-2013 6:07 PM

Gingersnap!

tripsw 03-07-2013 7:08 AM

Interesting development, couple days ago Murray announcing he's working with OWC and future cableparks of Nautiques/Aktion Sports (or something like that), now Bob.

steezyshots 03-07-2013 8:38 AM

cable is the future of the sport

baddogz28 03-07-2013 3:11 PM

I certainly use a lot less gas riding the cable. LOL.

JohnP 03-07-2013 4:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by baddogz28 (Post 1810289)
I certainly use a lot less gas riding the cable. LOL.

The cable park near me is the same distance from me to my lake. Then the fee you have to pay to ride there is what i spend on gas for the boat or more! Yall can go to the park. I'll hit wakes!

njskier 03-09-2013 8:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JohnP (Post 1810293)
The cable park near me is the same distance from me to my lake. Then the fee you have to pay to ride there is what i spend on gas for the boat or more! Yall can go to the park. I'll hit wakes!

A 12 month season pass at OWC is $999. I know you spend a lot more than that for gas per year.
Honestly for those that don't have the luxury of riding boat whenever they want, cable is a great option. For many in other countries where gas prices are high, it's the only option.

bass10after 03-10-2013 12:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by njskier (Post 1810505)
A 12 month season pass at OWC is $999. I know you spend a lot more than that for gas per year.
Honestly for those that don't have the luxury of riding boat whenever they want, cable is a great option. For many in other countries where gas prices are high, it's the only option.

In other countries maybe... but even here in cali a 1000 bucks will still buy a lot of fuel especially with a couple of buddies. We don't have parks where im at, so at 20$ a day for gas per dude, 50 rides seems like a bargain.

mnorris 03-10-2013 9:46 AM

$1000 bucks may buy you alot of fuel to ride for a season, but then you have to consider boat insurance, boat payments, depreciation, winter storage (if applicable) and any other operating expenses involved with owning a boat. Cable riding is hands down way more affordable and accessible than riding behind a boat, thats why it is so popular everywhere except north america. Im a boat rider myself (because there are no cables close to me in Canada) but having the option to pay $1000 for a seasons pass and ride as much as you want would save me a ton of money each riding season

BamaLurker 03-11-2013 1:45 PM

I've been a boat rider my whole life! Having said that, I feel sorry for the people that aren't embracing cables. Open your eyes to this evolving sport and all its methods of tow or end up like Jeremy Kovak; angry and irrelevant.

King12 03-12-2013 1:26 PM

While I enjoy boat riding more, not having a boat means that cable is the bees knees for me. Plus being on a collegiate team can get you a hella discount. As much as I love boat riding, Cable keeps me riding and is hella fun too

King12 03-12-2013 1:26 PM

I need to proof read posts so I dont sound so damn bro. ****.

alevitt 03-12-2013 1:40 PM

People trying to compare costs of boat vs. cable must get their boats and all of the maintenance for free: you guys are lucky.

;););)

stuey 03-12-2013 7:59 PM

^^^ Hit the nail on the head... there is no comparison. I figure I'm about $2k a year between boat/trailer insurance, launch pass, cleaning supplies, a couple oil changes, and regular maintenance.

Don't even get me started on repairs, depreciation, wear and tear, scratch repair, flat tires, trailer brakes, or any other stupid thing that happens over the year that costs money. Oh yeah, forgot about my gas guzzling SUV and all the gas it takes to get to the launch. Wait, I still have to gas the boat too?

I would guess it costs most boat owners $3-8k a year to run a boat taking everything into consideration. The exceptions being the guys running older boats that have already taken the brunt of the deprecation hit and hold their value (SN2001 etc)

boardjnky4 03-13-2013 5:46 AM

The boat vs cable argument is silly. Boating is about more than just wakeboarding, for me and my family/friends. Wakeboarding is a big part of what I do out there, but it's more about the weekend warrior escape for us. Relaxing, enjoying a few adult beverages, swimming, etc...

Owning a boat is definitely more expensive than cable passes, but boating is more than just wake sets.

Nordicron 03-13-2013 6:24 AM

$1000 is cheap, cheap, cheap compared to owning a boat. Now assuming you chip in atleast $20 everytime you go out on a boat with your buddy that is gonna be 50 boat pulls. Considering what these boats cost I would have to guess the true cost of ownership of those 50 pulls is prob triple for the owner of a boat, with all the extras everyone has pointed out.

Anyway ive never rode cable but can't imagine it being as fun as riding behind a nice boat wake and just hanging out.

whiteflashwatersports1 03-13-2013 7:32 AM

Well I have owned boats for 15 years and just bought a new one last fall. As the wife says if your gonna complain about the cost of gas, insurance etc - you can't afford a boat. Nothing beats a good day on the water with family and friends. However we also get seasons passes to OWC every year and it is two hours away. The cable is totally different experinece riding and hanging with firends. We love em both. Seems like the boaters hate the cable riders and vice versa.

stuey 03-13-2013 8:43 AM

@Tom - I do agree, boating is more than just riding for sure. I was only speaking from a financial standpoint.

@Whiteflash - I don't think it's ever a question of affording it, but just realizing your cost per hour. When it's $200 to fill up and you realize your total cost is more than $500 for a day at the lake it starts to be a pretty pricy hobby. Of course if I lived in Florida like you I would probably get out twice as much and it wouldn't seem nearly as bad :)

captain_vilfo 03-13-2013 8:50 AM

tom hit the nail on the head, boat life has a lot more to it than just wakeboarding!

bill 03-14-2013 12:31 PM

way off topic alert.. congrats bob and cwp..cant wait to ride the park saturday..better be epic with all this pub :))