WakeWorld

WakeWorld (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/index.php)
-   Archive through May 04, 2005 (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=227721)
-   -   raw water intake / ballast issue (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/showthread.php?t=219415)

waketech 03-28-2005 5:38 AM

I know the answer to part of my question I just need an easy solution. Currently I have a 1" raw water intake on my response. I have three simer 8512 pumps I will me using to fill the sacs (1 front and two sides) The connection on my pumps are standard garden hose connections (3/4" not sure) Anyway I assume I cannot run all three pumps at the same time to fill the bags. I would be sucking out more water than I'm putting in. If I was to have a 6" or so 2 foot long manifold would there be enough water reserve to use all three pumps ? <BR> <BR>Secondly if not how can I solve this ? What is the biggest hull thru scoop you can get (within reason) and how hard are they to install. I really don't like the idea of cutting another hole in the bottom of my boat but if it needs to be done I guess I have no choice. <BR> <BR>Thanks

jwat142 03-28-2005 5:41 AM

Have you tried running all three pumps at one time yet. The current hole may be big enough. I am currently installing a system with three simer pumps and I am running them all off of a 1.25" thru hull. I did some research on the size of hole I would need and 1.25" came out to be plenty big enough and I think I remember someone saying that 1" may even be big enough. You may want to try it out first and see how it works.

seattle 03-28-2005 8:26 AM

RK, <BR> <BR>There's no reason you can't run all three through your raw water intake. <BR> <BR> The intake will easily supply three pumps. My buddies and I run or have run many different scenario's with the Simers, and I've yet to see any issues do to pulling from the raw water intake. <BR> <BR>If you have any questions on the set up, e-mail me. I've got detail pics of the install I did on my boat.

mikeski 03-28-2005 10:50 AM

Just keep a very close eye on your engine temp if it's running. Also as always carry spare impellers for everything. <BR> <BR>If you start to see steam coming from your exhaust you are starving the engine cooling water.

liveoz 03-28-2005 11:27 AM

Unless you have no space, or it would interfere with perfect pass, another hole in the boat is no big deal. Just be sure to add a brass shutoff valve for safety. Another hole won't hurt performance or increase chance of sinking (if you use shutoff valve)and you won't ever have to worry about whether or not you are taking too much water from the raw water pump. Just my .02

bigdeal 03-28-2005 8:05 PM

You can use the raw water intake (like I do in my boat), just follow one simple rule. Only fill and empty with the motor off. This simple rulle totally eliminates the potential for starving your motor of cooling. It also eliminates the issue of your ballast pumps competing for volume with the water pump on your motor. Try this. Tool out on the lake and shut down, then begin filling while your rider(s) are getting ready. This process shouldn't delay your fun for more than a few of minutes, and the peace of mind is priceless.

waketech 03-28-2005 8:21 PM

Cliff, <BR> <BR>so my 1" hull thru will be enough to supply all three pumps without runnuing any of them dry ?

phall925 03-28-2005 8:59 PM

I have not fully installed my ballast yet. However, this is one thing I pondered for about a month before I decided what to do. Even though alot of people have not seemed to have problems with overheating off the raw water intake I still felt that it would be just my luck. So I decided to buy a brass thru-hull fitting. If you would like catelogue email me and I will send it to you. I did not use a scoop becasue then I could just reverse the pump through thr thru hull fitting without above water line outputs. I had the Mastercraft Dealer put it in for me cost about 20 bucks for them to do it. I know, just use a hole saw but if I slip and screw it up then I have to pay for the mistake. If they chip the gel coat of glass then they pay for it. Just a good insurance policy. I would not recoment the raw water intake, I would recomend another fitting just for ballast. Nothing against the guys who have done the engine thing. Do what is best for you. <BR> <BR>Remember one thing the more pumps the more water they are sucking at once. If you are using a multitude of pumps I would get a big thru hull and use large pipe to the pump that way they can runa at map flow filling your system faster.

seattle 03-29-2005 8:25 AM

RK, <BR> <BR>I currently run two pumps through the intake, but I have a couple of friends who have three pump systems. <BR> <BR> The concern of robbing your engine's water pump is kind of absurd. When the engine's thermostat opens up, and the pump kicks in there's no way these measly Simer's can compete for flow pull compared to a pump that is run off of a 300+ horsepower motor. <BR> <BR> I run my pumps while driving wide open across the lake and the temp gauge rarely registers any difference at all. I will say you could probably increase your water flow with an additional thru hull fitting, but it's not detrimental to the cooling system if you chose not to.

2step 03-29-2005 9:26 AM

Cliff- Thanks for the pics, I should be able to make it work.. <BR>Chris

waketech 03-29-2005 5:41 PM

Cliff, <BR> <BR>I'm not to concerned about the engine cooling water (well I am) but more concerned about running the Simers dry. I don't want to buy pumps if I don't have to or can prevent it. Your buddy with three what pumps and what hull thru ? <BR> <BR>Thanks

jeffr 03-29-2005 9:34 PM

RK, <BR>Cliff is referring to my system. <BR>Instead of a T-off of the intake… I opted to brake out the drill. I added a 1” thru hull with a scupper. I have a brass shut off valve and have T-d off with 1” ID hose to the separate pumps. I have pics saved somewhere… but would need to look for them. If Cliff sent you pics… our systems are very similar other that the intake source. <BR> <BR>If you are worried about the water supply on the intake side of the pumps… you could always swap out to 1” ID. I run 1” ID from the intake to the pumps and then use ¾ ID from the output side of the pumps to the bags. <BR> <BR>Running multiple pumps, has not been an issue other that turning them on one at a time to prevent such a power draw. <BR> <BR>I do not recommend running Simmer pumps for prolonged periods with the motor off…. It will quickly draw down your battery. <BR>

guido 03-30-2005 12:00 PM

Hey guys... I am dealing with these same issues right now. I have a Sanger DLX with a factory ballast and want to add a center ballast. The factory ballast has a through hull with a brass strainer (like the engine water pick up). I don't want to share the same pickup because the center ballast in going to have a reversible pump and pump back out the same hole as it picks up. I have another through hull that I was going to use, but it has a 1.5 pickup and I need to reduce it down to 1" o.d. What is everyone using for pickups/thru hulls. I don't want to pick up from engine water (again, because I want it reversible). Do I need a "directional" scoop for the bottom of the boat, or can I just use a thru hull fitting? <BR> <BR>I'd love to get some pics of other peoples set ups if they have any. <BR> <BR>Thanks in advance

sbt3 03-30-2005 1:28 PM

CIE Evan, <BR>You can pick up off the engine even if you are using a reversible pump. That is how everyone does it. I have had two impeller pumps off of the engine pick up running for 3 years perfectly, when they reverse the main water pump on the boat just puts the water through the engine. I just got a new boat and now am going to have 3 running of the engine pick up

waketech 03-30-2005 6:43 PM

What are some standard sizes for water intakes ? mine looks like 1" but I've been told i can only be 1.25" <BR> <BR>Any comments ?