WakeWorld

WakeWorld (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/index.php)
-   Archive through September 23, 2004 (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=192984)
-   -   Taping ankle before set? (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/showthread.php?t=189502)

tparider 09-07-2004 9:32 PM

My left (lead) ankle is giving me a bit of trouble since I over-pronated it a couple of weeks ago on a landing (or rather, crash). <BR> <BR>It doesn't HURT, it's just sore, and I was thinking back to ankle taping for basketball and how much that helped after I sprained ankle. <BR> <BR>Has anyone used tape and then put on your board? Did it help with your problem? Any other solutions? Looking for some current feedback.} <BR> <BR>By the way, I checked the archives on this topic and saw that one person's solution was "millwrap tape." What is this?

premier135rider 09-08-2004 5:03 AM

its fine man,i have done it before and it helps alot

whitechocolate 09-08-2004 7:39 AM

I was looking threw a water ski mag 2 months ago and it had one of the top water ski guys that taped the hell out of his ankle before each set. then he would cut it off. It looked like a old cast when he was finished taking it off. They said he would go threw like a mile of duct tape each season. It also looked like he would put somthing like clear plastic as a base that the duct tape sat on top of. Im sure it made takeing the tape off much less painfull

jarrod 09-08-2004 7:52 AM

Ankle exercises seem to help me more than anything, even post injury. Building up the muscles in the ankles always seems to make the pains go away.

flux 09-08-2004 7:54 AM

Caution!!! <BR> <BR>I tried that, but may have been doing it wrong. It hurt like holy hell trying to get into the binding, and about as bad getting out. I think I may have done more harm than good. <BR> <BR>Just be sure your bindings can handle the extra bulk and use a lot of binding lube. <BR> <BR>Good luck, bad ankles are no fun. <BR> <BR>

tparider 09-08-2004 9:06 AM

Thanks for the tips. I haven't done any real damage (torn or partially torn ligaments), so I'm stretching a lot and doing some ankle PT exercises. I have inversion sprained this same ankle twice in the past (basketball), so I think strengthening will be the key - the tape would definitely make me feel a little more confident though.

balr54 09-09-2004 12:19 PM

I have thought about taping my ankle. However, couldn't it cause more damage if you get ripped out of your bindings.

jojomantor 09-09-2004 5:30 PM

the only time i taped my foot was when i had stitches ont my heel <BR>

tparider 09-09-2004 7:21 PM

Jeigh Krupp - - <BR> <BR>Wouldn't the tape prevent and awkward torque-ing of the ankle even if you were ejected?

phantom5815 09-09-2004 8:08 PM

Tape due to its bulkiness would more than likely not let the ankle "pop" out of the binding. <BR>It may cause an awkward torque on the joints above the ankle......aka fractures of the long bones, disruption of knee ligaments.

jojomantor 09-09-2004 9:01 PM

i really did not see the difference

premier135rider 09-10-2004 5:15 AM

yea i couldn't tell a difference, and i rode for about a month taping my ankle and never had a problem with just one foot coming out.

blackcreek 09-10-2004 7:59 AM

I saw someone mention duct tape-If you're going to do it, use some pre-wrap and athletic tape. May not be a bad idea to let a trainer do it the first time to show you the right way.

bradb 09-13-2004 1:37 PM

Jade, <BR>I know a bunch of people that tape their ankle with pre-wrap and athletic tape, but then cover it with duct tape. They say it makes it easier to get into and out of the bindings and it won't come apart in the water. <BR>B