WakeWorld

WakeWorld (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/index.php)
-   Non-Wakeboarding Discussion (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=4387)
-   -   I lost my swing (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/showthread.php?t=800645)

baitkiller 12-17-2013 7:30 PM

I lost my swing

:confused::confused: its gone. It was there and now its not..:banghead: shot 82 last week and now I can't hit my ass with both hands. I probably look like a caveman killing his lunch. Uggghhhh. I'm topping and skulling wedges....yeah, it's that bad. Hell I'm dangerous to bystanders..its a virus...or moon phase right? Tell me I'll be OK...please..

brichter14 12-17-2013 7:47 PM

Slow down your backswing and start to apply 70% weight on ur front foot until you straighten things out.

Dont ask me on how to fix a driver swing.

colorider 12-17-2013 8:34 PM

Take a few weeks off and don't even think about golf.

baitkiller 12-18-2013 4:19 AM

Andy thanks. I think this is going to be the plan. Unfortunately right now is the perfect time to play for me. Guess ill re-finish the deck instead. sigh...

surfdoggy 12-18-2013 5:52 AM

Topping and skulling is sometimes related to excessive weight movement - often on the downswing. Hit 25-30 shots with your feet together, it will make you concentrate on balance and staying centered. If that doesn't work, try shots of brown liquor.

psudy 12-18-2013 7:24 AM

You're not drinking enough.

brett33 12-18-2013 7:25 AM

Quote:

Take a few weeks off
Quote:

try shots of brown liquor
After steps 1 and 2 you should be good to go. Sounds like you're rushing to see the ball flight and not staying down in your swing all the way through. This usually happens to me after I've had a couple good rounds or shots even, confidence is high and I'm not letting my swing do the work for me. 82 is decent golf and you know you can hit shots, just take a little break and get some range time in.

buffalow 12-18-2013 7:47 AM

I agree with the group. Take a break. If you just can't cause you "have" to fix it to be sane, which I get. Feet together + slow backswing + 50-70% backswing. Think of it almost like a stinger shot, but with half power. This should allow your body to get back in sync. Worse case...Drink at least a beer a hole and you should be good.

jonblarc7 12-18-2013 7:59 AM

Taking a break will work but I agree with Rob. Take out your eight iron and hit a whole buck of half shots with you feet together. If you can't make decent contact with a half swing its going to be that much harder when you take a full swing. And a tad more weight on you front foot to make sure you hitting down through the ball.

jonblarc7 12-18-2013 7:59 AM

Don't be scared to take a divot.

Pad1Tai 12-18-2013 8:44 AM

Hmmm.

Sounds like a case of "Low T"........

Loose any other functions?... :D

baitkiller 12-18-2013 9:04 AM

Oh thats just not nice CZ.! Why dont you give me a paper cut and squeeze lemon juice in it while your at it!

You guys are great. I had completely forgotten the feet together drill. I will try that and then start drinking heavily if the issue persists. Right now the courses and weather are perfect, I have time off, my buddies have time off and my swing goes missing....such is life.
Merry Christmas WW and thanks,
John

Pad1Tai 12-18-2013 11:27 AM

lol... j/k...............................

denverd1 12-18-2013 11:33 AM

personally, I think its a tempo problem. I do the same, I'll bang a drive 300 yards, then skull my PW 3 holes over. When this happens, I have to start slow and small. I spend a few hours over a couple days on the range with nothing but wedges hitting short pitch shots.

Your downswing shouldn't be faster than your back swing. So count in seconds your backswing (ie. 2 seconds -- yes that slow) and make sure your downswing is the same length in time. You're getting too handsy and jerky trying to hit too quickly -- the clubhead can't catch up. stop swinging so hard.

20 yds, then 30 then 40. don't move on till you hit five balls in row with good contact and ball flight.

a little break wouldn't hurt, you've obviously picked up a bad habit that should be forgotten. I like to regroove good habits while trying to forget bad ones.

You'll get it back. GL and have fun. Maybe play a few scrambles until you get it back -- although that can produce problems of its own. Namely swinging like John Daly on the tee.

jonblarc7 12-18-2013 12:00 PM

I've been playing most of my life so I know a few tricks

Why not bring your playing partners down to your level and make them start shanking and sculling shots.

Right before they start their routine to warm up for a tee shot, look at them real seriously and ask hey do you BREATH IN OR OUT when you hit the ball. Then as a reminder during the round when they get up to the ball after a good shot ask did you breath in or out on that last shot.

Works ever time.

tings00 12-18-2013 12:09 PM

lol, i love this. i got a bad case of the yips this year as well. Just comes out of no where and then you start over thinking everything. I agree with taking some time off.

brett33 12-18-2013 12:26 PM

there's always this approach...

<object width="420" height="315"><param name="movie" value="//www.youtube.com/v/M5CkmKGQDb0?hl=en_US&amp;version=3"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="//www.youtube.com/v/M5CkmKGQDb0?hl=en_US&amp;version=3" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="420" height="315" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>

Disclaimer- golf language

baitkiller 12-18-2013 12:50 PM

Yep, thats what i got going.
I think i have a 1/2 bottle of Sailor Jerry around here.... that ought a do it.

Now i just a little Mexican Hank Haney

deuce 12-18-2013 2:15 PM

Have you tried to throw a club or two ? I have a buddy this approach has never worked for....he keeps trying, so maybe there is something to it...

stephan 12-18-2013 2:35 PM

A break is always a good thing. Simplify your approach and get back to having fun. Often topping and skulling the ball is a product of too much lateral motion during the swing. Calm your body down and rotate them shoulders.

Good to see so many WakeWorlders hit the links as well.

rmotoxxx711 12-18-2013 2:43 PM

Or play with Buffalows brother (cousin? Maybe...) and he'll cream the ball like 30000 yards and make you want to go back to riding cable haha

whiteflashwatersports1 12-19-2013 7:21 AM

Happy Gilmore never skulls - that is always a good swing style. I just try to remember the reason I went golfing in the first place was to have fun with my buddys and drink some beer. I will always pay to play golf and never get paid to do it - so relax and have fun.

buffalow 12-19-2013 7:55 AM

1 Attachment(s)
You can golf with these guys - They are way better MMA fighters than golfers.

Chael Sonnen(who is 6'1"), Urijah Faber, Joesph Benavidez, My brother in law

baitkiller 12-19-2013 2:00 PM

^^^^ That's odd, I have never felts sorry for a golf ball before now.....That is a scary grouping.

hatepain 12-19-2013 9:53 PM

Try baiting with your off hand for a week. Should fix the problem.

baitkiller 12-20-2013 6:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hatepain (Post 1856431)
Try baiting with your off hand for a week. Should fix the problem.

AKA "the stranger" Sit on one hand till it goes numb then switch when you hit the gravy strokes. A friend told me about that once... a long time ago...:eek:
Really think that will help?

hatepain 12-20-2013 4:39 PM

Always work for me.

baitkiller 01-27-2014 5:04 PM

Update: Things had gotten a tad better on the range and so I risked a round at my regular club. Stunk up the place pretty bad.
So I took another two weeks off and visited the range again today for the first time.
Just a small bucket, 30 balls.
I was still sculling and shanking everything then I had an idea; I moved my eyes forward.
Do you know how when playing from a soft bunker you aim 1 ball distance behind the ball? reverse it> I tried moving my eyes 1 ball fwd of the ball. It worked, Perfect contact, power, divot, soft high draw. Just like the good old days. Every iron in the bag.
Basically by moving my eyes i started hitting through the ball instead of hitting at the ball.

Weird huh?

jonblarc7 01-28-2014 6:23 AM

Not Weird your hitting down through the ball now.

Glad you got it back.

Ever since I was 10 I would always hit the ball to fat. I finally figure out to stand tall and look down the end of my nose at the ball.

Now that I think about it is weird because golf is a weird game!!!!

buffalow 01-28-2014 7:32 AM

I read an article about Arnie often looked at the ball with his right eye to cause a little tilt to his head before the swing to, which when the swing happen caused him to look ahead of the ball a bit. I have tried it a couple of times and it is weird, but sounds like what you are talking about.

Keep it up. Why is such and easy game so f'ing hard...

phathom 01-28-2014 2:28 PM

So was shooting 82 what you could do before and strive to get, or is that what you fell to and are shooting now?
I know for me, whenever I go out casually every few months to few years I normally shoot around that. I find that I'm better at the beginning of a round, and I get worse as the round progresses. I do not drink while I golf either, so that's not a factor.
I think the main thing is that when I first start playing, I am just having fun and I'm not "In my head". As it progresses, I tend to try to focus more, to critique myself, and then I start doing worse.
Just from my limited golfing experience, I would say just to relax and have fun. The more you stress about it, the more the stress will affect you.

buffalow 01-29-2014 7:05 AM

Surf - You explain me to a tee. Can shoot from 82-90 on any give day and any given course. Mostly that includes 1-2 double bogey's which typically through me into a tilt and get in my head. Beginning is always better than end. Would like to play more, but just gets aggravating over time. I have the same thing with wakeboarding where I over think. Makes me want to take up smoking to take the edge off of my brian.

baitkiller 01-29-2014 1:14 PM

Relax Jason, you are in very good company. The 80-90 range is where i am at when playing to my norm. And that usually includes a couple doubles or a triple.
I find that a cigar does help but dont try putting with it lit and clenched in your teeth.

Dmac420sj 01-29-2014 5:20 PM

Ok so all you guys are casually shooting in the 80's. either your all liars or play real easy courses or take a ton of mulligans. Lol or I suck!!

buffalow 01-30-2014 9:24 AM

No liar here- I play mostly from Turlock to Stockton to most of the courses in Brentwood/Antioch. We don't do the mulligan thing. Most of the guys I play with are 6-12 so I am the sucky guy in the group.

Dmac420sj 01-30-2014 10:29 AM

Those are real low handicap course though right like 68-70

baitkiller 01-30-2014 10:31 AM

The scores are legit however I will fess up to not playing from the tips. Regular mens Ts. The guys I play with are all in the 13 range so it's pretty competitive. I play in Florida where it is dead flat but there is water everywhere. Hell, there is more water than grass. If you make it through a round with one or two balls you cant help but shoot a good score. No Mulligans but you get a free drop if your ball lands too close to a big gator. Playing all the way back will wreck anybody over singe digits. Swing out of your shoes all day.

Dmac420sj 01-30-2014 11:02 AM

I play on courses where the grade is real high like 150 ouch. And if I shot low 90's I'd be looking to get my q card. Lol

Dmac420sj 01-30-2014 11:03 AM

High grade add 10-15 shots on your score

Dmac420sj 01-30-2014 11:03 AM

Slope grade that is

baitkiller 01-30-2014 11:15 AM

I have played mountainous courses in Denver with my BIL. Club selection is pretty hard for me as i not used to elevation compensation. Teeing off above the tree tops on what amounts to a cliff is a little weird. And yeah, you could add 10-15 to my card easy.
Then again he comes down here and cant handle the crazy thick rough or shell waste areas.
It aint easy, no matter what or where.

Dmac420sj 01-30-2014 11:18 AM

I've played Florida and the water is crazy. Here in ca. Not so much of water. But your grasses are so nice

stephan 02-07-2014 1:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dmac420sj (Post 1862642)
I play on courses where the grade is real high like 150 ouch. And if I shot low 90's I'd be looking to get my q card. Lol

Play It Forward. If you are teeing it up from the back tees and aren't a single digit or hit it 300 down the middle, you have no business playing it from such a tough tee box.