WakeWorld

WakeWorld (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/index.php)
-   Video and Photography (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=87667)
-   -   HV30 or HV40 (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/showthread.php?t=693970)

depoint50ae 05-07-2009 2:56 PM

I have read as many archived threads about HD camcorders as I can. Most were pretty old so is the HV40 worth the extra 400-500 bucks or is the HV30 still the way to go? Is miniDV still the best format? Is it hard to transfer HD video to a computer and make DVD's? Thanks for the help.

99xstar 05-21-2009 6:50 AM

I'd like to hear some input on this exact topic as well. I'm finding that miniDV is still the way to go for editing, but would like to know if the HV40 is much better than the HV30.

depoint50ae 05-26-2009 8:26 AM

Any advice out there from the "pros" of amateur video?

richd 05-26-2009 2:29 PM

What format of miniDV are you asking about, standard def DV or HDV, an HD format that records to miniDV tape? <BR> <BR>If you're asking about editing HDV vs AVCHD they are probably about the same, both are long GOP I frame mpeg based formats. <BR> <BR>It may be quicker to get AVCHD onto your drives however as the info is already electronic and can be file copied where HDV needs to be captured via playback in real time off the miniDV tape.

alans 05-26-2009 3:47 PM

I recently made the move to AVCHD from miniDV and am loving it so far. <BR> <BR>I went with the HF-10. I love it, so simple, small, and my wife isn't scared to use it with my kid while I am at work, unlike my GL-2. Partly because it is so small and easy to use, but also because there are no tapes, nor any time consuming rewinds and fear of taping over anything. Just turn it on and go. Once there are a few hours of footage I dump it onto the computer to play with. <BR> <BR>Before I sold my GL-2, I imported all of my DV tapes (30+) onto my HD. I now have all of my videos over the past five years playable in a matter of seconds and a few mouse clicks. <BR> <BR>(Message edited by alans on May 26, 2009)

depoint50ae 05-27-2009 3:30 AM

HD onto a miniDV tape. As far as I have read it was the best way to do home HD vids. I am looking for something that will easily transfer over to a computer and to make DVDs and vids to send to family and friends. Everything I had read up til now said that AVCHD was hard to use because of the compatibility of the editing software etc. I don't want to buy this camera and be disappointed buy some little issue. A lot of the JVC AVCHD cameras didn't look very HD on their tiny little screens or hooked up to a HD tv through HDMI and it makes me apprehensive. Thanks for the advice.

alans 05-27-2009 4:35 AM

I can't help you with the software compatibility part, I use a Mac. But video quality wise, there is no discernible difference, especially with the newest generation, HF-s10 and HV40.

richd 05-27-2009 7:05 AM

Well with HDV (HD on miniDV) at least you're getting the full 25mbs of bandwidth and an established format with all of the bugs worked out. <BR> <BR>I'd buy whatever camera has the most manual control in either format. In the long run learning to shoot manual (and having those controls) will get you the best video. I've seen some video out of my HV10 that rivals my EX1 but not while shooting wakeboarding.

alans 05-27-2009 8:54 AM

HF-S10 is 24mbs!