WakeWorld

WakeWorld (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/index.php)
-   Trick Tips (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3184)
-   -   Newbie Question - thigh pain!! (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/showthread.php?t=780821)

rckclmr 06-21-2010 12:03 PM

Newbie Question - thigh pain!!

Guys and Gals..

I am new to the wakeboarding scene.. skiied for years, tried it and got hooked havnt put the skiis on since.

However - when im wakeboarding my back leg.. my THIGH kills me.. is my board set up wrong or what? Any suggestions...

Its a good chance im just out of shape.. but i dont think thats it.

Robert

cwb4me 06-21-2010 1:28 PM

robert looking at your age it could be that or it could be something as simple as your stance or to slow of a boat speed. give me boat speed line length and how you stand on the board. or a video would be great .i can analyze and give you feed back tips.

rckclmr 06-21-2010 4:58 PM

Boat speed between 30-35 mph.. So im right handed and my right foot is my front foot.

My left leg is my back leg, and thats the thigh that kills after being up for 15 mins. Toes pointed to tip and tail.. heels back to back.

I dont have a video maybe next weekend.

Any suggestions would be great.

Thanks

Robert

06-21-2010 7:07 PM

first of all slow down....second toes pointed out that far can cause some of that pain. you should ride comfortable, not heel to heel at all. Athletic stance. Ride around 21-24mph depending how good you are.

Anubis79 06-21-2010 7:25 PM

What board/bindings do you have? I'm pretty sure most new ones have angle degree markings on the bindings. You should definitely be under 25 degrees, more along the lines of 12-18. If you don't have degree markers, the easiest way to tell where your feet should be is to put the board on the ground and stand off of it behind the heel side. Then jump straight up, and when you land don't move. Take note of how far apart your feet are and how angled they are. Just set your bindings up as close to this as you can and it should feel more comfortable.

cwb4me 06-21-2010 7:49 PM

all of the above is great advice. what i was told is wider is better as long as it is comfortable. stand on steps or a bench jump off and squat when landing this will represent your balance point. make sure you can squat all the way down and your knees are comfortable.the other thing that can cause your thigh pain is if your hips are turned towards the boat.you should have your hip bones lined up with the tip and tail of the board then just rotate your arms and shoulders to your lead foot which you said is your right foot .use your legs as suspension keep hips pushed out towards your toes. relax your arms ,don't pull the rope and just lean back in line with rope from tower to you. example if you are in middle of both wakes lean towards your left foot. if you are outside right wake drivers side lean towards your heels.on left side of boat lean towards your toes. hope this helps but still send video.p.s. please slow down if you catch an edge at that speed its going to HURT!

wake77 06-22-2010 9:41 AM

"Boat speed between 30-35 mph.. So im right handed and my right foot is my front foot.

My left leg is my back leg, and thats the thigh that kills after being up for 15 mins. Toes pointed to tip and tail.. heels back to back."

This is a joke right?

samhanna 06-22-2010 2:47 PM

I just got a great mental image! HAHA.... Lon, is that you?

rckclmr 06-22-2010 4:14 PM

Thanks for alll the great tips.. im heading out again in two days and will reset the my board and will slow down.

Anything else you can think of let me know.

CWB FAZE Board - and about 20 degrees on the bindings..

Thanks

Robert

06-22-2010 5:47 PM

Robert, just really slow down dude. 24 - 25 is max when boarding. Usually if you are just starting you should try 22ish.... 35 and you might do things to yourself when biting it that you really don't want to do.

rckclmr 06-23-2010 6:50 PM

Just to clearify this also since im in Canada im talking 30-35 KPH, not MPH..

So thats about 21 MPH.. is that the correct speed.. I can tell when the board lifts and plains off.

Cant thank you all for the great advice..

RP

chexi 07-15-2010 10:50 AM

"Boat speed between 30-35 mph.. So im right handed and my right foot is my front foot.

My left leg is my back leg, and thats the thigh that kills after being up for 15 mins. Toes pointed to tip and tail.. heels back to back."

This setup only works if you are wearing an orange life vest.

21mph is good. Depending on how uncomfortable you are at that speed, you may want to slow it down to about 18mph while you learn your edging techniques.

Take a lesson. The sooner the better. Bad habits are difficult to undo.

chexi 07-15-2010 10:54 AM

Also, while it is not unheard of, it is less common to ride right foot forward (goofy) if you are right handed.

cwb4me 07-15-2010 6:10 PM

i'm right handed and i ride goofy along with fifty to sixty percect of the people i ride with and teach. it's not that uncommon.but robert your speed 21 mph is fine and if you are riding for 15 minutes you will be tired. but try the body position i told you and it should get better.