WakeWorld

WakeWorld (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/index.php)
-   Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3183)
-   -   X45 versus x-star versus x2 (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/showthread.php?t=795712)

sppeders 09-27-2012 8:24 PM

X45 versus x-star versus x2

Correct me if i'm wrong but i believe the X2 is a little brother of the X-star. What is the difference between the 2006 X-star and the X-45?

X-45 wake legit? Does it need ample weight above facotry?

xstarrider 09-27-2012 8:45 PM

The X2 is only called the baby brother due to its size. The 03-2011 X Star hull has nothing in common with the X2 hull. The X2 is an awesome all around do everything boat in a small towable/ garageable(standard garage)package. At the time it was released it had the space of all the bigger wake boats in its era in that small package. There is really only one downside to the X2 and that is the way it drives weighted and unweighted. High level riders who edge hard and bigger heavier riders will be able to walk the boat a bit. Also a good slalom skier will be able to do the same thing with a hard edge. It doesn't have tracking fins it just relies on its hull to track straight. It just feels like an I/o not an iboard in driving performance. Its not piss poor, just not what you would expect from a comp boat, much less a 20ft MC comp boat. Otherwise its throws a great wake with a nice lip, surfs above average for 20ft'r, and skis above average for V-drive. HAs a ton of space.

The X Star well its a wakeboarding machine. Its wakeboard wake is legendary up until the release of the 2012 G23 and Supra SA550, I am still out on the new star. My experiences were less than legendary. The 03-11 star was a sigle sport machine. It sucks to slalom behind and it surfs terrible for its size. However its wakeboard wake can't be touched. The cockpit is really cramped for its size it feels much smaller than it is, however the bow are feels humongous.

The X45. It surfs above average has a ton of storage but of the 5 X45's I have been behind the wakeboard wake left me expecting a ton more. I thought the X2 wake had a much better shape, lip and feel. It was reallly crips compared to the 45 which tended to be soft and more of a ramp. However the 45 is humongous inside and its monstrous. Its more of a party barge that wakeboards second if you ask me.....The 35 and 55 wakeboard much better. Even the old X30 to me beats it out wakeboarding wake wise.

To me if the X2 is too small and you are looking for more of a multipurpose bigger boat than the X Star the X15 is really the hidden sleeper in the MC line. Its wakeboard wake is awesome, its surf wake is above average and it skis very good for a bigger v drive with the plate option.

wakecumberland 09-28-2012 6:12 AM

^What he said.

ToPHeR35 09-28-2012 7:06 AM

The X45 is a monster of a boat!

sppeders 09-28-2012 7:46 AM

Thanks for the responses, this is for a friend of mine. I have alot of experiance behind the X-2, love it behind the boat. No experiance with the Star, and i thought i knew the answer of the 45, more of a big lake cruiser.

davez71 09-28-2012 12:57 PM

We purchased a new 2012 X45 and it has been an amazing boat. It is HUGE on the inside and has tons of space. We wakeboard alot and the wake is awesome. We sold a Malibu VLX to get this and the stock wake on the X45 was bigger than the VLX full ballast+wedge+500lbs of lead. This boat is also great for surf. Will require weight to get a good wave but with the surf tabs it helps a lot. I love this boat. We added 2200lbs of PnP ballast and the wake is massive. My best friend has an Xstar and he says all the time how great my wake is. You cant go wrong with the X45. It is a great boat and it also handles the rough waters. The boat weights 5300lbs so its a big heavy boat and creates a great wake.

ToPHeR35 09-28-2012 2:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by davez71 (Post 1786327)
We purchased a new 2012 X45 and it has been an amazing boat. It is HUGE on the inside and has tons of space. We wakeboard alot and the wake is awesome. We sold a Malibu VLX to get this and the stock wake on the X45 was bigger than the VLX full ballast+wedge+500lbs of lead. This boat is also great for surf. Will require weight to get a good wave but with the surf tabs it helps a lot. I love this boat. We added 2200lbs of PnP ballast and the wake is massive. My best friend has an Xstar and he says all the time how great my wake is. You cant go wrong with the X45. It is a great boat and it also handles the rough waters. The boat weights 5300lbs so its a big heavy boat and creates a great wake.

Not to mention a big heavy price tag either! :D

talltigeguy 09-29-2012 4:26 PM

I used to own an X45. The wakeboard wake requires you to go a little faster than most. We saw the wave really get nice at 24-25MPH when running extra ballast or people. Plan on 22 MPH to get a clean wake for beginners with no ballast. On the other hand, beginners who are not ready to jump don't need a clean wake.

I found the X45 wake to be finicky. I would weight it exactly the same on 2 separate occasions and somehow get different results. It was a little frustrating frankly. When it was good, man was it good. So if you find that sweet spot with weight balance, speed and trim tab, the wake can be world class. But those days were half the time for us.

I think the X45 doesn't get enough press for its surfing. I think the surf wave was terrific.