WakeWorld

WakeWorld (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/index.php)
-   Wakeboarding Discussion (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Switch to Flex (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/showthread.php?t=777458)

irishrider92 03-12-2010 10:35 AM

Switch to Flex

Hi all,
I'm getting a new setup in may for the season and I'm sold on the flex tech and the 4 hole boot system.
Coming from a 3 stage history (phantom, shane, witness) I've decided on the severance/ recoil. Never ridden either of these though so I'm purely going on my experience with normal foam construction boards. Could anybody say anything in favor of/ against going to continuous from 3 stage? Also since I'm not minted I'm getting '09. Did either board change much in the new year?

Finally what are the company bindings like? As far as i can tell they seem to be like a halfway between stiff drivers and flexy (but flimsy from what I'm hearing) PB Floyds. Is this right? Also how to they hold up with time?

Think thats all for now, haha. Thanks for any input

wakemania 03-12-2010 11:07 AM

The Severance is a 3 stage flex. My son has the 138 with the Co bindings. He loves them. He went from the Ibex to the Severance and says the Severance is much softer on landings and has as good or better pop than the Ibex and much more consistency. I asked him what he like better about the Severance. He just says "everything". I personally cannot speak from experience, only what he tells me.

If you are interested in a 142, one of his friends has one he may be willing to let go of. It may have been riden 3 times. He just doesn't wakeboard anymore. Also has a size 12 bindings. I'm not sure if the bindings would go or not. Let me know if you're interested and I'll contact him.

seth 03-12-2010 11:30 AM

I was riding the Recoil since Slingshot came out, and always rode 3-stage before that, but switched it up to the Response last year so I could ride a bigger board (145). Both boards are awesome and honestly I cant really feel a big difference between the two. I think that because they do flex it kinda negates the whole 3-stage continuous thing. As you ride up the wake the board is flexing and changing shape unlike a conventional board that holds its shape no matter what. If you can, ride all the different boards and see what you like best. I don’t think the Recoil changed from 09 to 10, and the Response looks like its tip and tail shape changed a little. There was a big change in both boards from 08 to 09 though and the 09 is so much better than the 08, so make sure you at least go 09 on the SS stuff. I have not ridden the Co. stuff and ride the D3’s and love them.

sidekicknicholas 03-12-2010 12:00 PM

I haven't been on company, but my recoil is amazing... I've always been a 3-stage guy too, and this thing has the large pop of a 3-stage but not the mash your knees bucking style... its much more smooth.

As far as boots D2's are my all time favorite boots... and PB Floyds are that flimsy..... the outter shell is soft but the ankle harness can make them much more stiff

I'm selling a 142 recoil (new) and pb floyds right now if that is interesting.

hockeysk8er222 03-12-2010 7:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sidekicknicholas (Post 1561405)
I haven't been on company, but my recoil is amazing... I've always been a 3-stage guy too, and this thing has the large pop of a 3-stage but not the mash your knees bucking style... its much more smooth.

As far as boots D2's are my all time favorite boots... and PB Floyds are that flimsy..... the outter shell is soft but the ankle harness can make them much more stiff

I'm selling a 142 recoil (new) and pb floyds right now if that is interesting.

Wow, I was set on the Severance... but now, i'm not sure...

lfrider92 03-12-2010 8:06 PM

i ride the severance, and i love it. its so much fun. it has more pop then any other board ive ridden. and its really easy to break loose. i had the chance to demo a 138 severance after thinking i would like a flex board. and after the first jump, i fell in love. my first jump of the day, i took the same cut i would normally take on my lyman, and it sent me into the flats, with more pop then i get on any other board. i just recomend to size up. i like around a 139 on a normal board. and the 138 fealt tiny on a flex board. the 142 severance is money though. i think its because these boards are so light. riding a board a size up doesnt really feel big.

irishrider92 03-13-2010 3:47 PM

Ah right sounds class! Thanks for the offers wakemania and nick but it'll be may before I could buy it. I'll hit you up then and we'll see.

Anyone know about the company binding with regards to stifness/durability?

wakebrdr38 03-13-2010 8:18 PM

I like the Reflex

I just switched from the recoil to the reflex and am MUCH happier. I felt the recoil was too slow. Dont get me wrong, I rode the hell out of it for two years and its one of my favorite boards. After riding the reflex though I am much happier. The board has some serious kick to it. This may sound crazy but I havent gotten trully bucked out of control since the first time on the original Parks board when I railed into the wake for the first time. Today was my first day to ride the recoil behind my boat with a decent amount of weight in it and I was not expecting the unreal pop I got.

The reflex is a little stiffer through the center and I liked that a lot also. After two years of hard riding and double ups my old recoil is SOOOO much softer than the reflex.

snwmot 03-14-2010 1:13 AM

company has redone there bindings for 2010 as far as there 09 bindings go they are similar to the slingshot bindings they are moderatly stiff but nothing to crazy. if i were you id wait for the 2010 bindings there's nothing else like them right now and they are a major leap from 2009.