WakeWorld

WakeWorld (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/index.php)
-   Wakesurfing (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=87668)
-   -   New board for a woman (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/showthread.php?t=799369)

okcindie 08-01-2013 9:53 AM

New board for a woman

I am new to wakesufing, and started this year on the Hyperlite Broadcast. I'm ready to move on... That being said, I'm looking at possibly the Inland Black Pearl or the Inland 4-Skim Caro Pro. Any thoughts or preferences? I'm 5'3" and 110 lbs, skiing behind a 2013 Supra Launch.

tonyv420 08-01-2013 10:11 AM

My wife rode a IS black pearl when she started. It was a good skim board for her to learn on, she now rides a Soulcraft Skimmer. I would steer towards the Caro Pro, if Inland Surfer is your preference.

BenHolloway 08-01-2013 10:23 AM

http://hotelgoodsonline.com/yahoo_si...183456_std.jpg

I kid, I kid I just couldn't help myself based on the title of this post. For your size and weight I think the Caro is a good option, running a 3 fin setup will help with learning the different board then if your diggin it you can pull the outers and run a single fin to really loosen it up...

CHern5972 08-01-2013 10:31 AM

ironing board
cutting board

Pics???lol

J/K

CHern5972 08-01-2013 10:32 AM

id find your local shop and talk demo with them. Find some others with different boards and start demoing them. Doomswell makes some killer boards

CarZin 08-01-2013 10:40 AM

We have the Caro Pro as my wife is a skim rider. The broadcast is a big board for a 110 pound girl. Do you have any experience with a skim?

I have ridden all the boards you have listed. The Black Pearl is going to be a step down from the Caro, and easier to ride. The Caro board requires a lot more skill to ride.

So, not to knock the Caro board (I love to ride it, even though its pink), but I think if you are coming from a broadcast, but want an advanced board that will not be so finicky to ride, I would suggest the Phase 5 Danielo Diamond. Get the small version. I consider it a hybrid. You can ride it with an edge (surf style), but it has all the capabilities of a Skim Style. It is an outstanding board. A lot of the girls are riding Victoria Pixi's. I have not had a chance to ride one.

I have owned: Hyperlite Broadcast, Coex, Inland Surfer Walker Pro, Inland Surfer Keenan Pro Surf, Inland Surfer Caro Pro, and Phase 5 Carbon Pro.

MICAH_HARPER 08-01-2013 11:04 AM

Give Brock a call over @ Doomswell he will make you anything you want just tell him ow you ride and he will hook you up....prices are great too

(409) 692 6363

okcindie 08-01-2013 11:37 AM

This helps. I was wondering if I should be looking at other boards too (besides what I listed). I'm going to start looking at some others that you've mentioned. It's difficult to find demos in Tulsa- they only seem to have hyperlite and liquid force here. I've not ridden skim, but am adventurous and looking for more thrill and tricks. Thanks!

h20king 08-01-2013 11:43 AM

X 2 soulcraft custom skimmer with the small twinzer fin option It took my wifes riding to the next level.she absolutley loves it

tonyv420 08-01-2013 1:07 PM

^^^^ what "H" said! My wife loves her Soulcraft Skimmer!! She has the same fin options as Harolds wifes!

Jmaxymek 08-01-2013 2:21 PM

+1 for the Danielo Diamond!

Chaos 08-02-2013 10:32 AM

Look at a Shred Stixx Skywalker. In my experience most get bored with skims real quick.

In Tulsa look at Ascent Outdoor Apparel. In Disney, look at Arrowhead Boat Sales (Grand Lake).

I could also set you up with some people in Tulsa that ride and can show introduce you to other boards.

Nick

okcindie 08-02-2013 4:40 PM

Thanks, Nick. I've been trying to get ahold of the the people you listed and see about a demo of what they have. Still thinking the boards are a bit big for me.

Right now I'm seriously considering the Victoria Pixie, Inland Caro, and Phase 5 Danileo Diamond.

Concerns: the Caro sounds pretty squirrely to ride, especially for someone new to the sport?
The Pixie only comes with a single fin option. Is this going to be a problem?
Danielo Diamond: too big?

I'm still interested in the Soulcraft Skimmer, but have had a hard time finding info. Everyone seems to love it, but how can I get more details? How would I get my hands on one?

I appreciate all the help!

h20king 08-02-2013 5:27 PM

4 Attachment(s)
Here are a couple pics of the soul skimmers I had made for my wife and her girl friend. You can get in touch with Jeff by sending him an e mail at jwahlers01@gmail.com or you can call 208-914-4853 Tell him Harold sent you and he will take care of you

piper907 08-02-2013 6:15 PM

^^^ Jeff is good people... He made my fiancée a custom (surf style) board that she absolutely loves!

BenHolloway 08-02-2013 6:56 PM

My wife bought a board out of the back of a van down by the river, or maybe it was a suburban by the lake... She loves it and her riding has advanced every time we head out...
https://sphotos-a-sea.xx.fbcdn.net/h...54526105_n.jpg

CarZin 08-03-2013 5:02 AM

Cindy,

The custom board option is a great one if you really know what you want and have tested a lot of boards. You have not. I think for your first 'real' board, you should go with something off the shelf, that is a known quantity, that has been reviewed a good amount. The Caro board isn't too squirrelly, but it likes to resist riding down the line. In other words, you have to use a little force to drive the nose toward the boat, or it wants to point out. It will be frustrating for a beginner. The phase 5 board is very stable, and I was pleased to find it holds a hard edge going up the wave, and does not have the tendency to want to slip out from underneath you like other skims.

Regarding how fun skims are... I ride both surf and skim style. I find them equally enjoyable. In fact, I think a more diverse range of tricks are more accessible on a skim than surf style board.

Chaos 08-03-2013 8:16 AM

CarZin is correct, particularly regarding the tracking on most skim style board. Since you are looking to downsize significantly a squirrly feeling is going to pretty much any board you go with compared to the broadcast at first. The is a basic joke about the broadcast is.... it is a $300 board that cost you $800+. Within a few months to a year pretty much everyone wants to upgrade. It is a inexpensive ultra widely distributed board and widely used. It is a good basic rider.

The P5 DD-is a great board from a construction standpoint and design, but too much for you or for what you are currently looking for.

Virtually all true skims come with only a single fin. You actually do not need a fin, once you learn how to ride a skim board.

I have said it a hundred times, there is a reason there is no custom skim market. Every surfboard manufacture around the world will make you a skim board, but the simple facts are the off the shelf board are equally as good, and in most cases far better, especially for wear and tear/longevity. This is the opposite for the surf-style boards, where a good custom board is far better than most off-the-shelf models.

Style and size: if you are dead set on a skim board, then look at Victoria gremlin or agent. These are great skim boards for your size and very inexpensive.
Surf-style, look at either a SS-Nano or Skywalker. It is possibly, that I have a Nano still around, that I could release for $350. Since, you are in Tulsa and shipping is cheap from Austin, I may be able to send you a skywalker or nano to demo.

Custom: if you are looking to spend as much as the cost of a caro or daniello, then I can make a custom carbon fiber skim board sized to you with as many fins options as you want, with in 2-weeks. Otherwise, I can make you a custom surf-style board size to you for less.

h20king 08-03-2013 8:50 AM

That's a great price on the nano. Is it a made in the USA nano or one of the made in China boards??

tonyv420 08-03-2013 10:47 AM

Here is a video of my wife riding her Soulcraft Skimmer. She has improved so much since getting on this board. She has ridden a CWB Tsunami, LF Custom, IS Black Pearl, and a Phase Five Drew. The Soulcraft Skimmer is by far her favorite! She is just a beginner, but that is her honest opinion. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G

tonyv420 08-03-2013 10:49 AM

http://youtu.be/GoRd4u9vEfw hope this one works

okcindie 08-07-2013 10:36 AM

Thanks so much, guys. You've helped me tremendously! I have a Victoria Pixie on order as a possible skim board. I was able to take out a SS Nano last night for a demo for a couple hours. I initially thought it was fun and responsive, though it really is completely different to ride. I was struggling to keep it in the sweet spot and/or be able to catch back up to the boat. Perhaps I became tired and frustrated toward the end. I'm hoping this is just part of learning a new board. I think I do want both a skim board and a surf style board, though.

I'm intrigued by the Soulcraft, and have been talking to Jeff. Just so torn...

Chaos 08-07-2013 12:13 PM

It is always a tough decision. You will like a Skywalker better than the Nano. It is easier to ride, and simply faster.
Retail on a Skywalker is $499. A great price. They cost us the same as the other boards, we just decided to sell them for less.

I am also happy to make you a custom board fitted to you want if you want.

Nick

malibu 08-08-2013 1:20 PM

1 Attachment(s)
[QUOTE I'm intrigued by the Soulcraft, and have been talking to Jeff. Just so torn...[/QUOTE]

I Just got my third custom Soulcraft from Jeff. This one is a fangtail. It is an amazing board. I can keep up with the boat, with so little pumping compared to other boards I have ridden. It is so light and lively when I am carving and doing floaters, now I want to get air!! Here is a picture of it.
Jeff is so good at building a board to the customers specifications and easy to work with.

okcindie 08-09-2013 8:45 AM

Sue- Love the board!! Is it surf style or skim? How did you know what to tell Jeff about what you wanted?

tonyv420 08-09-2013 10:02 AM

Sues board is a Surf style, Jeff will ask you a few questions about your ability and style of riding you like, plus a few other specifics, and will be able to come up with a board I'm sure you will enjoy! Just give him a call! 208-914-4853

Chaos 08-09-2013 10:48 AM

Cindie, it is like Tony said. It is not rocket science. Jeff will ask you some specifics about your height, weight, riding ability, boat, etc. He will suggest a size (general length) of a model board and make some suggestions about the type of tail, and possibly the nose. Then you all will discuss different other customizations, like color, graphics, carbon fiber, etc.

You are most likely looking at a small jetty, something in the 4'0 to 4'4 range. You may also ask about the brian baker board the 'yeti'. I think you might enjoy that as well.

Nick

malibu 08-09-2013 8:51 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by okcindie (Post 1838124)
Sue- Love the board!! Is it surf style or skim? How did you know what to tell Jeff about what you wanted?

Thanks Cindy! I love it too. Like Tony and Nick said Jeff asked me some questions about my riding style ect. but this board continues to amaze me. Today I surfed behind a boat I have never ridden behind and I was so comfortable on my new fangtail. I really think my riding has improved since I started surfing my new Soulcraft. Here is a picture from today.