WakeWorld

WakeWorld (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/index.php)
-   Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3183)
-   -   Tahoe Surf Boat Suggestions Under $40k (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/showthread.php?t=809111)

mediocrepilot 07-24-2019 11:09 AM

Tahoe Surf Boat Suggestions Under $40k
 
Hey guys/gals! First post on here though I have been lurking the forum for years. Ive learned a lot on here so thank you for that!

Looking for advice on surf boats under $40k. Pretty firm at that price point but willing to entertain something up to $50k if it’s clearly worth the extra investment. (I know, budget creep) We have a pretty short season and I have a lot of other hobbies competing for my interest so I can’t really justify spending much more than that. I’m looking to buy this fall when I hope to find better deals. I’ve researched for months and while I’ve learned a lot from various sources, I’ve yet to find current information that really fits my needs.

The boat will be used exclusively on Lake Tahoe which can look like the Bering Sea at times. Freeboard is important to me. My current boat sits pretty low in the water so a little stressful at times trying to keep everything dry. Also, I feel like a deeper V will help a lot when it inevitably gets rough. It will be primarily used for surfing and foiling. Maybe the odd wakeboarding session for the wife (beginner) and occasional wakeskating.

We don’t always have a big crew but I hate being cramped on a boat. We also camp on the boat some nights so the more room the better. Looking for something at least 23ft, preferably 24ft. I have plenty of room for storage and have driven boats my whole life so not worried about the extra size.

I’m happy to buy a quality used boat, even if it’s not perfect cosmetically to stay within budget. We often have dogs with us so I kinda prefer it’s not too nice as it will only drive me crazy trying to keep it mint. No way I could ever make it with a new boat. I do all my own maintenance so not overly concerned with older boats that may need a little more attention.

We have both goofy & regulars in our crew so looking for something that can produce a good surf wave on either side. Also hoping to find something that’s easy to setup and switch sides with only internal ballast. I don’t really want to mess with wedges anymore so hopefully something with a surf system or something a surf system could be added to.

So far in my search I’m leaning towards the following boats:

Centurion Enzo 23 or 24
Malibu 247
Tige 24V

Am I missing some other obvious contenders? Certain years/options to look for? Things to stay away from?

Thanks in advance for any and all information!

denverd1 07-25-2019 5:32 AM

centurion for the deep V

SoulSurfer 07-26-2019 12:17 PM

Yeah - be sure not to equate freeboard with deep v. Centurion should be on the list, as should MB, IMO. Both have deeper Vs than normal for wake boats. I can attest to my 16 F22 riding pretty well in the standard late afternoon Tahoe roughness, although a B52 would probably be a tad drier up front (not water over the bow on my F22, just mist/spray).

fence_sence 07-26-2019 12:30 PM

I’d run a Tige 24v on Tahoe all day. Huge boats built like tanks. I’ve had some hairball days on Tahoe. It’s no joke. You’re certainly barking up the right tree. I’ve got a buddy with 247 Bu up there now but I haven’t been on it. He’s coming from a Colbalt and loves it.

Zackdogg 08-03-2019 3:29 PM

Iíve been struggling with tahoe for a year, and feel like Iím at the expert level to answer this. We have an RZX with a raptor 440, and a 1.5:1 trans, and we are too small and underpowered to surf up there. That elevation is no joke if you wanna run ballast..

The real answer, which doesnít work for your budget, is a supercharged boat, be it a big Nautique, Tige, Supra, or centurion. My cousin runs a b52, all summer up there, but he isnít running the kind of ballast it takes for a legit surf wave.. something with a 2:1 trans, and a decent motor is second best, behind a supercharged boat. We literally only bar hop, up there now, because surfing with our total weight isnít an option..

We bought our boat to primarily use at Tahoe, and rarely use it up there, just because it sucks at that elevation.. some of the new moombas have a 1.76:1 trans in them now, and you might be able to find something like that, but I think that trans just came out last year..

Maybe something listed so it isnít so heavy, with a wake shaper, is the real answer.. whatever you think is the boat, Iíd want to test it up there, before buying it. Our performance great at 4200í, struggles a little at 5200í, and plain sucks at 6200í..

Keep us posted.. Iím real interested in what you decide on.. weíre in the process of deciding new boat, or trans change, right now...

Zackdogg 08-03-2019 3:33 PM

Nevermind, just re-read and saw ďdonít want to mess with shapersĒ...

A slightly used moomba might get to your budget, if you can buy it right.. problem is every ďsurf boatĒ, i know of, maybe Iím missing something, ran a 1:5-1 trans until 2016 or 2017..

scotthons 08-05-2019 3:42 AM

Zackdogg. I'm surprised to hear you have that much of an issue at 6200 elevation. The lake we frequent is right at 7200 and while we don't surf we can plane out pretty easily wakeboarding with 3000 pounds of ballast. A change to the high elevation prop was a huge difference. We do see plenty of people surfing, but I have no idea what engine, transmission or ballast they are running...

Shakarocks 08-05-2019 6:06 AM

I surf with full ballast in Tahoe type elevations all the time. My SV230 Enzo with the 6.2 and 3000lbs of ballast was fine. It's imperative that you get the right prop. I used the Acme 911.

Tough to beat the Enzo's for their rough water ride and surfability. I'd look at an the SV240/244 as well.

stingreye 08-05-2019 6:22 AM

Tige 24V
 
A owner on the Tige forums called MooseX used to run a Tige 24V on Tahoe. Another owner Topaz surfer is up near there too I think and runs a heavily weighted 22V.

Moose ran big sacs and only had the smaller 5.7 motor but an aggressive prop.

I would get a snap on bow cover that will shed water should you get in rough water running back to the docks there. Tahoe can turn into an ocean in a hurry.

I ran my Tige 24V with the 1800 lb rear sacs + lead plus a bow sac at Tahoe just fine when I made a trip up there. If you can get over 8 mph, that means you are overloaded in the rear and need to add bow weight. I also have an aggressive prop with an Acme 1617. I would stick with a 14" prop. Any more than 14" might be getting close to the hull. I have the 6L motor but the 5.7L has a similar torque curve so I bet it would behave similarly.

The Tahoe surf pictures come out amazing with the color of the water up there.

Good luck!

denverd1 08-05-2019 7:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zackdogg (Post 1990652)
Iíve been struggling with tahoe for a year, and feel like Iím at the expert level to answer this. We have an RZX with a raptor 440, and a 1.5:1 trans, and we are too small and underpowered to surf up there. That elevation is no joke if you wanna run ballast..

The real answer, which doesnít work for your budget, is a supercharged boat, be it a big Nautique, Tige, Supra, or centurion. My cousin runs a b52, all summer up there, but he isnít running the kind of ballast it takes for a legit surf wave.. something with a 2:1 trans, and a decent motor is second best, behind a supercharged boat. We literally only bar hop, up there now, because surfing with our total weight isnít an option..

We bought our boat to primarily use at Tahoe, and rarely use it up there, just because it sucks at that elevation.. some of the new moombas have a 1.76:1 trans in them now, and you might be able to find something like that, but I think that trans just came out last year..

Maybe something listed so it isnít so heavy, with a wake shaper, is the real answer.. whatever you think is the boat, Iíd want to test it up there, before buying it. Our performance great at 4200í, struggles a little at 5200í, and plain sucks at 6200í..

Keep us posted.. Iím real interested in what you decide on.. weíre in the process of deciding new boat, or trans change, right now...

toss a different prop on it before you do anything crazy

Zackdogg 08-05-2019 8:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by denverd1 (Post 1990677)
toss a different prop on it before you do anything crazy



Iíve been through all this, learned it all the hard way. Iím running a 15Ē x 10.5Ē prop now, coming from a 15Ē x 12Ē. The only steeper prop they make is 15Ē x 10Ē.. my top speed is down to 31mph, and weíre surfing at like 4K revs now.. Tahoe is a brutal lake for surf boats, between elevation and the water surface, most afternoons.. the real answer is that supercharged motor, but I donít think thatís going to be had for $40-$50k.. the whole lake is covered with supercharged Gs for a reason.. I think the 2:1 trans is second best choice, some guys actually prefer it because supposedly those superchargers run a little lean at that elevation, where gearing isnít affected..

Iím a year and a half into this battle, and have researched every scenario to resolve it.. gearing change or new boat seem to be the only 2 options, unless I can find a guy to write a program to add a supercharger to mine..

Zackdogg 08-05-2019 8:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shakarocks (Post 1990673)
I surf with full ballast in Tahoe type elevations all the time. My SV230 Enzo with the 6.2 and 3000lbs of ballast was fine. It's imperative that you get the right prop. I used the Acme 911.

Tough to beat the Enzo's for their rough water ride and surfability. I'd look at an the SV240/244 as well.



We run 5k in ballast and generally 2000+ in crew, on a boat thatís about 7000 with fuel, and junk, but we arenít even close.. Iíve run several props, including the 10.5Ē pitch weíre running now.. I donít have any experience with the Enzo, so maybe itís just a far more efficient Hull for that type of water.. Iíve been through the whole prop thing with the dealer, manufacturer, and Acme, trying to figure out a prop.. weíre better than when we bought it, but nowhere near where I would want to be.. I could probably surf at 3000 ballast, with 4 people in the boat, if the water was flat.. Iíll run up to 900lbs if lead in the bow, just to hit plane better..

Zackdogg 08-05-2019 8:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scotthons (Post 1990671)
Zackdogg. I'm surprised to hear you have that much of an issue at 6200 elevation. The lake we frequent is right at 7200 and while we don't surf we can plane out pretty easily wakeboarding with 3000 pounds of ballast. A change to the high elevation prop was a huge difference. We do see plenty of people surfing, but I have no idea what engine, transmission or ballast they are running...



Believe me, I was plenty surprised when I bought the boat, especially since our intention was to mostly use at tahoe.. I think ultimately itís the trans gearing.. they only used it on the 2016, my year, and then switched. Guessing I know the reason they switched it..

Iím definitely not saying no boat will surf there, I just donít want the OP to go through what I did.. test it on tahoe, before buying it, is the best piece of advice I have.. itís pretty frustrating to drop $100k on a boat, fill it with people, and find out 10mph is your top speed...

Zackdogg 08-05-2019 8:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stingreye (Post 1990674)
A owner on the Tige forums called MooseX used to run a Tige 24V on Tahoe. Another owner Topaz surfer is up near there too I think and runs a heavily weighted 22V.



Moose ran big sacs and only had the smaller 5.7 motor but an aggressive prop.



I would get a snap on bow cover that will shed water should you get in rough water running back to the docks there. Tahoe can turn into an ocean in a hurry.



I ran my Tige 24V with the 1800 lb rear sacs + lead plus a bow sac at Tahoe just fine when I made a trip up there. If you can get over 8 mph, that means you are overloaded in the rear and need to add bow weight. I also have an aggressive prop with an Acme 1617. I would stick with a 14" prop. Any more than 14" might be getting close to the hull. I have the 6L motor but the 5.7L has a similar torque curve so I bet it would behave similarly.



The Tahoe surf pictures come out amazing with the color of the water up there.



Good luck!



I love that lake, which was why we intended to primarily use it.. Iíll put 900 lead in the bow with full factory bow ballast, and lose some of the back weight.. Iíve been through the whole prop thing with Tige and Acme.. maybe my hull is that much more inefficient, but it isnít happening, either way.. pretty sure they changed to the 2:1 drive for 17, because of that exact reason.. people are surfing the same boat over 8000í, with that drive..


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 11:34 PM.