WakeWorld

WakeWorld (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/index.php)
-   Archive through May 13, 2007 (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=448882)
-   -   most forgiving board with predicatble pop (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/showthread.php?t=438549)

hyule 04-20-2007 11:36 AM

i want a board with ultra predictable/controllable pop and soft landings. not necessarily beginner pop just not abrupt,blow my knees 3-stage pop. <BR> <BR>are there any specifications in boards as far as where they get their pop from - the middle, the tail, etc?

dakid 04-20-2007 11:48 AM

predictability isn't found in boards. it's found in the rider's ability to apply proper technique each and every time. <BR> <BR>with that said and judging from the description you stated, sounds like you're looking for a cwb marius. check 'em out.

jon_a 04-20-2007 11:52 AM

I'd Recommend the CWB Marius as well.

joshugan 04-20-2007 11:54 AM

I agree with Joe, it's more in technique but there are definitely some boards that are more user friendly <BR> <BR>I now ride the O'Brien Natural, which also sounds like what you're looking for. It is very predictable and has a nice double concave hull so it's easy on the knees. (A big plus for me.) I've yet to have anyone complain when they've borrowed my board from beginner to advanced.

hyule 04-20-2007 12:18 PM

People on WW really seem to love the Marius. It must be pretty fun. Is it fast enough though? I don't want a slow fat board.

sloshake 04-20-2007 12:19 PM

Wouldn't a continuous rocker be most predictable? Followed by a 3-stage with a longer flat spot, then a 3 stage with a shorter be the least? or is that more of a myth?

wakeeater 04-20-2007 2:12 PM

i wouldn't say the marius is fast but it is definetly a sweet ride i just picked up last years model on closeout

pincushion 04-20-2007 5:47 PM

I would definetly recommend the O'Brien Natural as well... It takes off like a rocket in the flats, yet it tracks nice behind the boat for rougher conditions. Huge pop, and as Josh said, super easy on the knees

fullspeed 04-20-2007 8:33 PM

Hey guys how about the Murray? I won one on Ebay by surprise for $155 delivered during the winter. Never been on it yet. Does that have a predictable/controllable pop? It is the 06 model, but I think it is the same shape as the 07.

04-20-2007 10:09 PM

The new LF Trip....best board I have ridden

gimp990 04-21-2007 9:57 PM

LF shane might interest you.

hyperlitenrd 04-21-2007 10:20 PM

I love my liquid force team. It gives me good feed back about what I am doing. I can ride away from most anything with it, but it tells me, you didnt pop right there, but I took you w2w just because I like you. I can get huge pop off of it when I hit it right, and it is quick and responsive when I am trying to recover. <BR> <BR> <BR>Oh and demo demo demo

seattle 04-21-2007 10:26 PM

I'd disagree with some here. <BR> <BR>Predictability can be found in a board even when the rider hasn't dialed in their technique. A mellow continuous board can make a huge difference in how a rider progresses when your first learning. Technique is a must but a forgiving board builds confidence and a familiarity with the water. <BR> <BR>I currently ride the Natural, and have ridden the Marius, both are great boards in their own right, but neither is a good starter board. For beginner's it's hard to beat the LF Trip and the HL Motive for overall consitent, and forgiving performance.

dakid 04-22-2007 12:08 AM

i disagree. even if you ride the most forgiving board, the pop is not always going to be forgiving, nor will the landing, if proper technique isn't applied. <BR> <BR>if proper technique is applied every time on a board w/ continuous rocker, the pop will always be smooth. if not, sometimes you'll get good pop, other times will feel like you're skimming across the water. <BR> <BR>if proper technique is applied every time on a board w/ a 3-stage rocker, the pop will always be a bucking type of pop. if not, sometimes you'll get bucked real well, other times, you'll get thrown out of control. <BR> <BR>"forgiving" may be a better word, but consistency isn't a fair, nor is it a correct characterization.

seattle 04-22-2007 10:22 AM

"if proper technique is applied every time on a board w/ a 3-stage rocker, the pop will always be a bucking type of pop. if not, sometimes you'll get bucked real well, other times, you'll get thrown out of control." <BR>^ ^ ^ <BR>That's why I would shy away from having a newbie ride an agressive style board. New riders don't have proper technique yet. A mellow continuous board won't throw you out of control when you are lacking skill. <BR> <BR>H yule, <BR> <BR>Take it for what it's worth. One of us is a novice heavy weight rider (me), one of us is a light weight intermediate rider(joe). We have apposing views. Demo and find the style of board you feel most comfortable on.

tahoeguy7 04-22-2007 11:16 AM

I would look at a Hyperlite Era. I have ridden a 2002 Premier, which has the same shape as the ERA, for years. With the center fin in the board tracks very well for beginners.

fullspeed 04-22-2007 12:11 PM

I was having a hard time finding the board for me. I would try a board and like it. Then later in the season start to hate it. The board that I seem to alway come back to is the continues rocker type. <BR> <BR>I have riden the Hyperlite 3ds for two years now. I like how it is consistant off the wake and for me it rides good in all types of water conditions. The pop to me is predicable, but maybe not the height you would get from the 3stage. I do get a lot of air time with it. The only real bad thing I don't like about this board is I have cut my fingers on the fins since they are so close to the edge of the board and in an area where I tend to grap a lot. <BR> <BR>Like I said earlier on the thread, how does the Murray ride. It has a continues rocker, yet I heard it throws you up like a 3 stage. Any info on that board.

joshugan 04-22-2007 2:01 PM

I think the Natural is great for beginners as it is very user friendly but beginners also love the 3ds in my group. <BR> <BR>Sorry, not meaning to hijack. <BR> <BR>On the subject of good pop I've seen amazing pop on the 3ds! Obviously there's what the pros do but yesterday my buddy through a backroll on a 3ds as big as any I've ever seen in any vid. Maybe 3 stage "helps" get better pop but if you can throw down, you can throw down.

eternalshadow 04-22-2007 5:29 PM

Cliff said this best <BR> <BR>"Demo and find the style of board you feel most comfortable on." <BR> <BR>Find the board that's best for you, try a few out and go from there.

sidekicknicholas 04-22-2007 6:54 PM

3DS -- its really heavy but soft landings always, and the pop is nearly the same everytime