WakeWorld

WakeWorld (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/index.php)
-   Archive through June 19, 2005 (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=236768)
-   -   how to take wakeboard on place (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/showthread.php?t=235379)

supermangan 06-17-2005 6:40 PM

how do i take my wakeboard and bindings when i fly without a bag? <BR>

addictedchick 06-17-2005 7:27 PM

You'll need a good wakeboard bag, or you could damage your board.

westsidarider 06-17-2005 8:22 PM

even with wakeboard bags the still have a tendency to screw ur board up. . go to ur local shop and ask them for a box that their boards got shipped in. then wrap it in a blanket or two if u dont have a bag. take ur bindings off and put them in ur bag

stephaneeee 06-17-2005 9:48 PM

I've heard that some airlines will charge extra if you tell them it's a wakeboard, but no charge if you say it's a snowboard. <BR> <BR>Anybody have info or recent experience with this? I'm flying with my board in August - probably on Southwest. Any info would be greatly appreciated. <BR> <BR>Thanks!

melty_1 06-18-2005 12:24 AM

I just got back from Shasta...flew up there on United. I think most airlines won't charge if you say it's a trick ski (or any ski. trick ski just makes more sense with the size). I didn't have a problem. I think the weight limit is 50 lbs and it counts towards 1 of your 2 checked bags. <BR> <BR>I used the packaging my board came in. If you can get the nose guards too, that's the best. Then I wrapped it in my sleeping bag. Worked perfectly! <BR> <BR>One other thing: they said since it was in a box, I had to sign a limited liability form. Not sure if a board bag would have same situation. But, does an airlines really cover much of what they damage anyway??? <BR> <BR>Check the Southwest web page for sporting equipment. <BR> <BR>Hope this helps!

obsurfer 06-18-2005 12:58 AM

Stick a few golf clubs in the bag. They go free.

stephaneeee 06-18-2005 8:52 AM

Sheri - thanks for the info! I'm flying into Sacramento for a trip up to Shasta as well. <BR> <BR>Here's the info off the Southwest and AmericaWest websites on traveling with sports equipment: <BR> <BR>America West <BR>Water Skiing Equipment <BR>Water ski equipment will be accepted in the normal free baggage allowance in lieu of a piece of baggage. One unit of water ski equipment consists of <BR>One pair of water skis <BR>One life preserver <BR>The passenger must provide acceptable encasement/packaging to provide suitable protection to the water ski equipment and to prevent damage to other bags. <BR> <BR>Southwest: <BR>Snow or water skis are accepted when enclosed in a suitable container. Southwest Airlines provides free plastic bags for ski equipment. These bags are used to prevent the various components of ski equipment from becoming separated. The skis will be conditionally accepted unless they are being transported in a hard, plastic case or standard ski bag. Snow ski equipment consists of one pair each of skis, ski poles, and boots. Water-ski equipment includes one pair of skis and one life preserver or vest. Snowboard equipment includes one snowboard and one pair of boots. <BR> <BR>

mikeski 06-18-2005 11:43 AM

Just to re-iterate what Sheri said. Do not mention wake, wave, or surf or you might have to pay the $100-150 extra charge. I have had pretty good luck flying with a case, I protect the edges with cardboard or heavy foam insulation taped to the board. Make sure it's secured to the board so it stays on when TSA takes it out to make sure it's not a bomb.

melty_1 06-18-2005 12:21 PM

Mike - you reiterated what you iterated to me in the first place! haha! <BR>(Mike was the one who helped me with the packing for my trip, cause I was so worried my board would be rejected or broken)