WakeWorld

WakeWorld (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/index.php)
-   Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3183)
-   -   Ballast and other things in Malibu VLX (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/showthread.php?t=797852)

L1quidForc3 04-29-2013 11:33 AM

Ballast and other things in Malibu VLX

Hello first time posting here,

I just got my hands on a 2011 Malibu VLX and I'm extremely stoked about it. I was just wondering from those who have ridden behind a VLX quite frequently what your preference for weight was while riding (and wedge setting). I would also like to know what rope length and speed you rode at as well.

The boat itself has 3 hard tanks and a power wedge. (I've read most of your discrepancies against not having the front tank, I plan on adding around 350lbs up front to compensate for it) I am an intermediate-advanced rider coming over from a Supra SSV where I used to ride at 75' around 23mph and around 2000lb of ballast (ended up being +400 stock).

skiboarder 04-29-2013 12:14 PM

The best set-up on my 2010 was wedge all the way down with 400# tube sacs on each side of the motor, 600lbs of lead mid ship and if I was feeling frisky I would put another 400 or so in the bow. I rode that boat at 80ft around 24.5. I experimented a bit with slower speeds and shorter lines, but kept going back to this set-up.

L1quidForc3 04-29-2013 12:20 PM

nice I'm guessing you used the hard tanks as well?

fman 04-30-2013 9:52 PM

I had a 2011 VLX and now own a 2013 VLX. First recommendation would be to calibrate your speedometer with a GPS. Both of my boats were off on the speedo setting... My 2013 was about +1.2, there is a setting in the Maliview to calibrate the speedo. Hook up your GPS select this option and you will be able to dial up or down the speed to make it more accurate. Use the arrow up and down button on the dash once you select this option.

For weight, the biggest wake I produced with my VLX was full quad hard tank ballast, 400 lb bag in center walkway, 400 lb bag in bow, and wedge about 1-2 clicks up from lowest setting at 23.5-24.5 MPH. We rarely ride like this but I was towing a very advanced rider. I find 2-3 clicks up is about perfect to add a nice lip on the wake and keep a smooth transition as well.

Not sure on your riding level, but for a large majority of riders the full quad tanks and wedge 1-2 clicks up at 22.5-23.5 mph will keep everyone satisfied.

Congratulations on your new VLX, they are a great boat, imo, one of the most user friendly wakes around for all levels of riders. You definitely want to add some weight to the bow, an integrated bow sac would be perfect.

L1quidForc3 05-01-2013 5:26 AM

Awesome thanks a lot guys I am super stoked about it. I'll probably go with 1-2 clicks up at 22.5-23.5 at 75 or 80 pending on how big the wake is, it seems similar to what I had on my supra.

skiboarder 05-01-2013 6:20 AM

One big difference between the Malibu and the Supra is that the Malibu will have a longer wake and you will have to play with the wedge a little to get that lip just right and it will change a little depending on people distribution.

I ran the stock ballast in addition to the set up I listed above. I can't push the tube sacs enough on this boat. They lay low and fit comfortably all the way under your back seat. You can access the ports through the back seat much easier through back hatch and it helps get more weight to the mid ship. The VLX likes well balanced weight (Bow to Stern).

L1quidForc3 05-01-2013 10:58 AM

is there a specific brand of sacs you use that fit well?

daren 05-01-2013 12:41 PM

I have an LSV that is the same width (I believe) but an extra 1.5 feet long. I have additional 750's in each trunk and a 1000 lb triangle in the bow (the boat has all 4 stock tanks). I fill the extra sacks about 3/4 full. I use the same amount of ballast regardless of how many people are in the boat assuming it will get on plane :-). If we have more than 6-7 people, I don't use the wedge, otherwise it's most of the way down. The wake puts a smile on my face every time I hit it. I ride at approx 24 mph. I've been out in a VLX with a similar configuration and it had a very similar wake.

At first I thought I'd mostly ride stock and save this set up for when I was feeling extra frisky. Now I ride like this all the time. Malibu's long transition allows you to build a very large wake that is much more forgiving than it looks. I'd recommend buying larger sacks than you think you need. You don't have to fill them all the way, but I think you will be amazed when you unleash your boats potential!