WakeWorld

WakeWorld (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/index.php)
-   Archive through April 21, 2006 (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=320404)
-   -   Short end of the deal? Advice? (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/showthread.php?t=318563)

tazbike 04-18-2006 10:17 PM

So here is the situation, I purchased a boat over 2000 miles from where I live. I bought it used through a dealer by picture only. I felt that the dealer worked with me and got a good enough deal to afford to transfer the boat. I set up to have a transport company get the boat and drive it 2000 miles. I told the salesman the date that the person would be there to get the boat. The dealer was going to install a heater for me (which was part of the deal), wrap it to protect the boat during transport and had almost two weeks to get these things done. I called the week before and reminded him that the transporter would be there the next week. For information: The salesman was sick on and off during this time. When the person came to get the boat, the saleman wasn't there, they couldn't find the paperwork on the boat, it wasn't prepared, no heater installed, and it took them 6 hours before he could take it. They didn't install the heater and just sent it with the driver. Since they didn't wrap it themselved, another salesman took it to be wrapped professionally so it could be taken. The transport company charged me for an additional day since it took them almost a day to get the boat. <BR> <BR>In the end, I taled to the saleman about getting money back for not installing the heater. He said that the professional wrap wasn't part of the deal and that took the money for the professional wrap. Therefore I'm now out a day's transport and an install ~$600. <BR> <BR>I see it differently, I told the saleman that the extra day cost was something I'd cover since it wasn't something he had control over and the professional wrap was something he was in control of so both of those would be a wash. However, the heater install was something that was part of the deal and he also had time to install and it was his responsibility. <BR> <BR>Now I've asked him to pay for the install at my local dealer and for the warranty papers, original bill of sale, and haven't seen a thing! <BR> <BR>Its been a couple of weeks and I'm worried about the warranty papers and he won't talk to me any more? So am I being unreasonable? Any advice?

mikeski 04-18-2006 10:37 PM

Wow, what a bummer. In hindsight do you regret the purchase? What good is a warranty on a used boat from a dealer more 2000 miles away? These long distance purchases are usually a little tricky, my buddy is a pilot and has made deals on a few long distance boats only to realize that they had been misrepresented once he saw them in person. Luckily as a pilot he flies for free so he has the luxury of checking them out first.

zride 04-18-2006 10:51 PM

Hey whats up thad.....Your all good. Because you bought your boat through a dealership your should have some backing through the Corporate offices. That is BS that guy is giving you. Demand that they pay for the heater install or give back your money. They wrapped it under verbal agreement which is binding that they would pay for as part of the transportation and purchase of the boat. I am sure if you call corporate, talk to the highest person in charge that you can get on the phone.....explain the situation, that you have not even recieved a bill of sale, waranttee info, and the guy wont even call you back. I guarntee something will happen.. If you bring headache so to speak to corporate, they dont want to be bothered by small time stuff, sh-t is going to roll back downhill and that dealer is going to hear it from their boss. What could hurt? <BR> <BR>(Message edited by zride on April 18, 2006)

taylormade 04-19-2006 4:55 AM

I guess there are a few essential questions that need to be answered before you can "call corporate": <BR>Is this boat new or used? Presumably it's used, but it's pretty important. <BR> <BR>Assuming that it is used, is the marina you purchased it from also the new boat sales vendor or are they a different brand? (in example: You bought a used MC from a Malibu dealer) <BR>

byrd 04-19-2006 6:48 AM

This is the way I see it. Everything that was to be done by pickup date was not. If the shop would have done the work, then there would have been no need to have it professionally wrapped for shipping. They dropped the ball, so they should be the ones fixing, or paying for the problems. Here is where the problem lies, they know you willl not buy another boat from them, and it will cost you a lot more in time and money to get retribution for their lack of customer service. The best thing you can do is take them to small claims court, but even if you win, you might break even if you are lucky. If it were me, I would see about registering a complaint with the State Title office since you have not recieved your paperwork. I would also point out to the dealer's owner that you have tried to be reasonable with the sales person, but has not worked out. Let the owner know that you plan on letting everyone know the level of customer service that his dealership has given you on this discussion board and others. Good luck and let us know how things turn out.

biz 04-19-2006 7:58 AM

Is this dealership a "one or two man" operation? I believe this is the salesman's and dealership's responsibility especially if they had almost 2 weeks to prepare the boat. If the salesman was sick and not in the office there should be a second in command that takes care of projects/sales he was/is working on. Try to reason with a person higher up the sales/management chain, this salesman has already showed he does not stand behind his word and his followup skills need to be adjusted. <BR> <BR>Ask to have all the sales, warranty, and other docs overnighted to you. This should not be a problem for them to do. I am very surprised they did not send paperwork with the driver... <BR>Or did they send a bill of sale (for your purchase) and you are looking for the "original bill of sale" from the previous owner. <BR> <BR>you wrote" He said that the professional wrap wasn't part of the deal and that took the money for the professional wrap. Therefore I'm now out a day's transport and an install ~$600." <BR> <BR>Was the transport guy waiting 6 hours part of the deal? Were they going to wrap the boat "unprofessionaly" vs having it wrapped professionally? Do you have documentation of "the deal". Oral agreements may or may not be binding depending on the amount, situation, and many other variables... the problem is proving the salesperson actually said he would do something. It is your word against his. <BR> <BR>It sounds like the salesman dropped the ball (according to your story). If it is their fault they should pay, end of story. If you did everything you said you would do on your end of "the deal" then there shouldn't be a problem. <BR> <BR> <BR>He won't talk to you anymore??? I would call everyday, twice a day and document every time you called with time, who you spoke with, etc. Send Registered letters, etc. <BR> <BR>As Byrd said, is it worth your time? I would pursue it myself on principle alone, just make sure you have have proof.

tazbike 04-20-2006 7:27 AM

Mikeski-- In hind sight I don't thing after it is all said and done that saving a little money is worth it, plus you don't have a relationship with a dealer that will take care of you. <BR> <BR>The boat was an 04 Mastercraft and I bought it from a Mastercraft dealer it had less than 50 hours. <BR> <BR>TR-- They sent a copy of the bill of sale with the driver, but not the original which is what I need to register it in Idaho. The Transport guy was waiting 6 hours for them to verify the deal, find paper work on the boat, and wrap it, it was not part of the deal and that is why I had to pay extra. Professional wrap wasn't part of the deal, but wrapping it with a "used" wrapper from a 2006 boat; but when it wasn't done the other saleman had it professionally wrapped. <BR> <BR>Here is the last email sent from the saleman two weeks ago, and he won't respond to me now; when the driver saw that it wasn't wrapped, he explained to the person helping out that it was suppose to be wrapped and he had it done professionally, it wasn't my or the driver's decision to take it "next" door and have it professionally wrapped since I didn't even know that that was available. <BR> <BR>Thad <BR>Because I had to pay for "shrink wrapping" the boat, there is no additional monies owed. I had agreed to cover the boat using a used cover. I did not agree to pay for professional shrink wrapping. I will forward you a notarized bill of sale so you can register the boat in your state. If there is other documentation need please let me know. <BR> <BR>Here is how I responded: <BR>I understand that you did not agree to pay for the "shrink wrapping" however, like you said, you did agree to cover my boat so that it would be protected during transport. Since you couldn't be reached and had not schedule or let others know that it was suppose to be a used cover then one of your people had the professional shrink wrapping done (that was not my decision, I or the driver did not even know you had the capabilities that close.) You had to pay for the shrink wrapping, I had to pay for someone to wait for them to find the boat and then have it prepared for shipment. So both of us had a cost, if the rest of the boat was done I probably wouldn't have a problem. <BR> <BR>The point you are missing is that you also agree to install the heater. This was not done, so this additional cost is also falling to me. So basically, I'm having to pay for something you didn't do? I know there was time to get it done for when I called you told me that the heater was in and you'd get it done either Thursday or Friday. <BR> <BR>I understand you had some issues during this time, but I don't believe I should pay for all this due to lack of planning or you not being there. <BR> <BR>For documentation I need the original bill of sale, and also the warranty information. <BR> <BR>Regards, <BR> <BR>Thad <BR> <BR>Now I haven't heard anything. <BR>

byrd 04-20-2006 8:38 AM

Is he the owner? if not find out who is and let that person know that you will make it your personal mission to make sure they loose more in sales than what it would cost them to fix the problems. If that does not help, find out who the MC Rep is for that area and discuss it with him. If you can not find out who the rep is you need to let MC know how this dealer is representing their product. And also let MAstercraft know that they are holding your paperwork on your new boat purchase. Mastercraft does not like anyone, especially their own dealers, doing anything that would represent them in a negative way. Good Luck, and let us know how everything turns out.