WakeWorld

WakeWorld (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/index.php)
-   Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3183)
-   -   Box Anchor Questions (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/showthread.php?t=779990)

razzman 05-28-2010 5:59 AM

Box Anchor Questions

I'm picking up a box anchor on Saturday, just plain tired of dragging anchors all the time! So i got a couple of questions for those using them;
  • What size rope are you using? Slide Anchor recommended 3/8" to me, seems like overkill?
  • Anyone use an Anchor Buddy with one?
  • How do they hold on steep slope lakes?

Thanks guys

cwb4me 05-28-2010 6:13 AM

i just got mine this week . i'll tell you more on tuesday.

tyler97217 05-28-2010 6:15 AM

I just just 3/8 inch rope and just tie it straight to the anchor. That is all I do, but others may use anchor buddies. It will hook on just about anything I have put it up against.

calipackfan 05-28-2010 7:26 AM

hook it up to an anchor buddy. no knots, just a shackle on one end, and a clip for the boat end. no rope. I'm a new boat owner, and was always worried about anchoring, ( our lake can get windy and push the boats around) bought the box anchor, and have never had a problem,

fullspeed 05-28-2010 7:36 AM

It is the best anchor for sure. I use my anchor buddy rope (the stretchy rope), but only in calm water. If it is super windy I use a regular anchor rope only because I don't want to loose the anchor. I have had 6 boats tied up to me in a busy cove with only my box anchor and it was a solid stay.

I have always been worried about my boat floating away when I shore camp, but with the box anchor I can sleep better. Great purchase. It should come with a bag that it stores in with is nice.

ajholt7 05-28-2010 7:53 AM

I use a 3/8". Defianately don't want to loose this anchor.

wake_upppp 05-28-2010 8:04 AM

Never rely on only an Anchor Buddy. Always have a rope too. Anchor Buddy is not that strong and can snap and there goes your expensive Box Anchor.

razzman 05-28-2010 8:22 AM

Thanks for all the answers!

I've always had a rope to backup the anchor buddy after the clip snapped on one about four years ago! I personally won't use the anchor buddy on the box anchor, i asked that for somebody else who asked me who's also getting a box anchor. My personal opinion is that they may actually help drag an anchor in certain conditions, ya know the rubber band effect. Not to mention the box anchor needs a 2:1 scope to work to full potential and that would limit the anchor buddy to a 25' max anchor depth. I limit my use of those now to overnight shore anchoring in the cove.

I'll just pickup 100' of good 3/8" anchor line for use with it.

mike3500 05-28-2010 8:34 AM

We love ours. Not sure about the rope size (either 3/8", or 1/2"). Our old partner was very into overkill. We don't use an anchor buddy. They are only good for a few seasons. Stay with a rope. Not sure about steep slopes, but I'm sure when it grabs you'll be good.