WakeWorld

WakeWorld (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/index.php)
-   Non-Wakeboarding Discussion (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=4387)
-   -   Protein supplements ?? (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/showthread.php?t=800823)

jonblarc7 01-08-2014 6:15 AM

Protein supplements ??

I got a few question about what to take for protein supplements.

Goals-: not lose anymore weight but still build lean muscle and still get more definition.

This is not a new years thing my wife and I started eating better and working out 2 to 3 time a week about a-little under a year ago.

About me: I have always been the skinny guy and during last summer while taking creatin I was up to 155 at 6' tall but as soon as I stopped taking the creatin I dropped at least 7 pounds quickly. I'm just not a big eater so I don't think I'll ever be able to really bulk up. But I would like to take something to at least maintain weight maybe put 10 pounds of muscle.

Would just any whey protein powder work and should I take it everyday or just on the day I work out.

Do I have to take it after I workout or can I take it at work right before I leave work and go to the gym.

acurtis_ttu 01-08-2014 6:31 AM

what's ur current protien intake? Do you even need addtional protien?
your daily requirement should be in the 140-180g range, if your working out on a regular basis.

start with one scoop ( 25 g protien) per serving, twice a day, morning/nite..i liek optimum nutirtion whey

For most people, the timing isnt' going to be as important as just ingesting the additional protien.

With all that said, you need to eat.......6', under 150lbs.....prtoein supplements arent' gonna do much if your not meeting your daily caloric goals.

wakeboardern1 01-08-2014 6:40 AM

I was taking Syntha-6 while training for WTM. Never lost weight despite absurd running mileage/indoor rock climbing 3 times a week. Definitely saw muscle mass increases and what not. I also took it back when I was lifting regularly about a year ago, and I started making strength gains like crazy. Also jumped from 230 to 245 in two or three months...

Protein powders and other recovery stuff work best if you take it within 30 minutes of finishing a workout. Throwing it into a smoothie in the morning also helps.

Creatine most builds up water weight, you wind up holding more water because of the "increased vascularity" that creatine provides to accelerate recovery... Or something. That's why they say you have to drink at least a gallon of water a day when you're taking creatine supplements.

Syntha 6 Strawberry goes extremely well with fruit shakes. I would have one scoop in the mornings all the time, and then two scoops after a workout. You really have to be aware of the calorie intake outside of the protein powder as well as what you burn. If you're not losing or gaining weight, you have to adjust your normal calorie intake to correct that situation. Personally I found that protein powder works well to balance out what I burned working out and shortened my recovery times, but to make real weight changes it was almost universally in my normal eating.

Now that I've mentioned Syntha 6, I'm sure someone here will call it a junk protein... But it worked well for me, so yeah. Also, this was my personal experience with how all of this affected my body, or at least how I perceived it.

dezul 01-08-2014 7:20 AM

What is your current diet like? What is your current calorie intake like? What is your current exercise program like? Try bumping your calorie intake up 10% and see how you react to it. Do you do cardio? If so, how long and how intense?

You can take your protein supplement either before or after a workout depending on when was the last time you ate something. For example, I eat lunch at 11:30am (chicken breast and some vegitables) and then I like to eat a tuna snack pack at 2:30pm. I get to the gym at 3:30pm. Then I eat dinner at 6pm. Then bed at 10pm. I am not trying to gain weight nor bulk.

For you, assuming you eat close to the same times as me, you could take the protein shake at 2:30pm or after your workout and eat dinner around 7pm. My typical rule for consuming food based on how my body reacts, I like to eat something an hour before I go to the gym.

jonblarc7 01-08-2014 7:28 AM

How do I figure out what my daily protein intake is. If I sit down and eat a grill chicken breast, potatoes, and some fruit. How do I find out how much protein is in the chicken.

I think drinking a shake daily wouldn't hurt me by any means. I just don't want all the protein to go to the wrong places. The reason I started working out was my job is a furniture designer so I sit on a computer all day, barely getting up to pee LOL. I don't want to end up like other people in the office if you know what I mean. I fill like I'm the strongest I've been in my whole life and in really good shape but I'm trying to build up some endurance for wakeboard season. So I'm running alittle more and can't drop anymore weight and feel good about where I'm at.

buffalow 01-08-2014 7:39 AM

Use software to keep a daily log off everything you take in. Fitbit, MyDaily Life, Live strong,etc.. They all work great. It will give you an idea of where the calories are breaking down and keep track of your weight and water intake as well.

phillywakeboarder 01-08-2014 7:39 AM

You gotta eat man! For now, 160 grams or so of protein a day should do it. Optimum Nutrition is a solid supplement company. Their 100% Whey or 100% Egg Protein would be fine. In a perfect world you'd take it right after working out with some fast digesting carbs. Bodybuilding.com usually has the best prices and they ship super fast. Good luck!!

jonblarc7 01-08-2014 7:43 AM

Tim

Not sure how to figure the calorie intake

Diet: typical day EVERY MORNING (I mean every morning since I was 5 with out missing a morning not matter what) I eat PBJ sandwich with a glass of OJ
Lunch 6" subway club on wheat with a few bake chips.
Super I'm a meat and potatoes kind of guy so chicken or steak or pork with potatoes or salad and some fruit.

I drink a lot of water all day and with most meal its flavored water

Drinking a shake at 4:00 before I leave for the qym would work perfect but do I still take it the days I don't go to the gym.

jarrod 01-08-2014 7:52 AM

Do a little research. Supplements are garbage. Even if some good came from the so called supplement, they're loaded with carcinogens. Eat high quality food. You will get the same or better results without pumping chemicals through your body.

I've done it both ways.

jonblarc7 01-08-2014 8:46 AM

Signed up with Livestrong.com to help track what I eat and need to eat.

davedidonato90 01-08-2014 9:01 AM

6 feet 155 lbs is skinny, I'm 5'9 and weigh 185 lbs. I also lift quite regularly and eat well I'm about 10% BF. I am strength Coach in Canada and have some experience in this field. With out getting into too many details, if you want to gain weight EAT. Forget the Supps, 98% of them are garbage, jarrod nailed it. For carbs go sweet potatoes, brown rice, brown rice pasta and try to stay way from gluten. Protein go for chicken, eggs, steak, and fish - no pork. Fats get some nuts, avocados and stick with liquid fats - no fat from animals or that are solid. If have always been skinny then you shouldn't be worried about putting on a little bit of fat but to ensure you do I would take in mostly Proteins and Fats. Take in carbs mostly just before and/or after a workout or activity. Do Hypertrophy weight training which is muscle building, do "isolating" exercises for each muscle group 3 sets of 8-10. Short rests. Hope you get some good results

davedidonato90 01-08-2014 9:02 AM

PS don't worry about calorie intake or expenditure unless you are planning on competing for bodybuilding or fitness modelling, it is a very frustrating procedure sometimes

DenverRider 01-08-2014 9:04 AM

The only legal supplement that has ever been shown to have any real affect by a truly independent medical study was creatine. Even then the affect is mild, doesn't happen for everyone, and the benefit if any will dissipate over time. The supplement industry is mostly a big lie. If it works, it usually has to be approved by the FDA. That's why we have the FDA. Otherwise the shelves would be full of cures for cancer that didn't work if they weren't more dangerous than the cancer.

seth 01-08-2014 9:08 AM

You need to figure out your macros (protein, carbs, fats). Based on your post above, you are maybe eating 50g of protein a day and probably less than 1500 calories total daily. There is so much stupid diet stuff out there just to make people money. Its as simple as calories in vs. calories out to gain or lose weight. To be healthy and see the results you want, you need to adjust your macros to that. Like the above guys said, you need to eat more. If you do use protein supplements, dont use it as a meal replacement, use it only to get added protein intake if you cant meet your daily total.

check out this website http://iifym.com/ and this macro calculator http://iifym.com/iifym-calculator/

jonblarc7 01-08-2014 10:04 AM

Yea I'm thinking of a protein supplement as a way to add protein not a meal replacement, I guess I really nee to make some changes and see if I can eat more, but like I've said I have always been real skinny.

I don't look like I'm 147 pound and when I tell people how much I weigh they can't believe its that low. I'm not all skin and bones I do have definition I just don't want to lose any more. I think my bones are hollow or something.

fly135 01-08-2014 1:07 PM

One cup of plain Greek Yogurt will give you 24g of protein. Don't get the flavored kind because they add sugar. Add nuts and it's even better.

psudy 01-08-2014 1:47 PM

Doesn't Ensure have protein John? lol.

fly135 01-08-2014 2:09 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Got me, I don't normally eat prepared stuff from a can. This is what I eat every morning...

In the bowel... Coaches oats, 1 shredded apple, fresh mango, pineapple, strawberries, and blueberries, dried mango, dried coconut, almonds, flax seed, sunflower seed, honey, cinnamon, and greek yogurt.

deuce 01-08-2014 2:20 PM

That is a tasty looking breakfast right there....

Breakfast for me looks more like a Light & Fit Greek yogurt(Costco) with some nuts/raisins & a banana or apple, with some coffee. I may try to get dialed in on something more like that.

JayManAR 01-08-2014 2:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jonblarc7 (Post 1858554)
Do I have to take it after I workout or can I take it at work right before I leave work and go to the gym.

Read label of said supplement. Take as directed.

fly135 01-08-2014 4:27 PM

EJ, I get the Coaches oats, dried mango, dried coconut, and dried cherries from Costco. That little clear jar with the white top (upper left) has the dried mango, coconut, and almond in it. I put them in the blender on chop and store in the jar. They go in the water along with the shredded apple and flax seed so they get cooked soft. Just make sure you aren't too far from a bathroom within hours of eating it as it really lubes the tubes. :)

ttrigo 01-08-2014 7:24 PM

A little off topic, but another way to get additional healthy protein, google quinoa salad. I get the organic quinoa from trader joes, and every week I make a cup of it, just for sides and snacking. Between the quinoa and the black beans added into it (along with everything else), it's close to 13 grams of protein. I make it with either low sodium veggie broth or chicken. I always add at least 3 grilled chicken breasts diced up as well. Pretty tasty, and lots of good nutrients. Lots of different recipes out there for that. Those are my staples, but every week I add a bunch of different roasted veggies.

phillywakeboarder 01-09-2014 6:06 AM

I agree that there are many wacky, useless, and potentially harmful supplements out there, but if a guy is training hard and eating right I really think adding a high quality protein powder and creatine (for some) is beneficial. I don't take creatine all the time because I don't like having to take something every day, but I've found that it does help me break through plateaus.

deuce 01-15-2014 3:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fly135 (Post 1858659)
EJ, I get the Coaches oats, dried mango, dried coconut, and dried cherries from Costco. That little clear jar with the white top (upper left) has the dried mango, coconut, and almond in it. I put them in the blender on chop and store in the jar. They go in the water along with the shredded apple and flax seed so they get cooked soft. Just make sure you aren't too far from a bathroom within hours of eating it as it really lubes the tubes. :)

Thanks, John.... Going to give it a go!

Maybe taking it slow, don't want to feel like I'm preparing for a colonoscopy....

bcd 01-16-2014 7:19 AM

Don't think anyone had mentioned it specifically yet, but you had the rapid weight loss when you quit taking the creatine because you lost the water it was causing to be retained. You didn't lose 7 pounds of muscle. If you are 6 ft and 150, you can easily intake more protein, food or powder, and not worry too much about ballooning up. Protein will also make you feel fuller longer.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk

jonblarc7 01-16-2014 11:52 AM

I would say I didn't lose muscle. I actually think I looked the most in shape after I lost those pounds, I just would feel good about my shelf if I lose anymore. I'm drinking a shake once a day in the afternoon to add to my food intake we'll see where it goes.

jonblarc7 01-16-2014 12:33 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Just to show y'all I'm not completely out of shape and look like a skeleton here's a family pic with the inlaw's last summer a few weeks after I stopped taking the cretin and I had lost the weight. My wife and I are on the far right.