WakeWorld

WakeWorld (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/index.php)
-   Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3183)
-   -   unwinterizing my boat (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/showthread.php?t=777389)

infantryman2oo2 03-10-2010 10:19 AM

unwinterizing my boat

Hey everyone,

Typically I would just throw my boat in the water start it up and hope it runs and everything works. But i didn't use my boat at all last year because i was deployed to iraq so it hasn't been used since October 2008. it was professionally winterized as well as the ballast and heater were done by a local mastercraft dealer. Is there anything special i need to do because of how long it sat or just drop it in the water and go. i have 2 new optima batteries for it so it shouldn't have a battery issue when i do just wondering if anyone has any advise on it.

Also bought an 05 dodge while i was deployed to tow it with and need to get a hitch does anyone no if i need a drop hitch and how much of a drop i need. the truck is at stock hight.

Thanks,

infantryman2oo2 03-10-2010 10:21 AM

the boats a 2004 mastercarft X-Star if that is needed to be known not sure

wakezone804 03-10-2010 10:30 AM

De-winterizing

Hook your boat up to the hose. Make sure that the main water valve is on and allowing water to flow through the engine. Run it for a few min. while checkling engine temp. Empty out anti freeze out of the ballast tanks. If boat is running smoothly on hose you are good to go!!!

Ride on...

bill_airjunky 03-10-2010 10:57 AM

First of all, THANKS for your service in the sand box! Good to have ya back in one piece.

There are a number of threads here talking about unwinterizing a boat. It really depends on what your dealer did to it in the first place. You may have a bag of parts that need to be reinstalled? ie; knock sensor, drain plugs, etc. Some guys leave the hoses loose, ie; like around the thermostat, heater & shower? Some leave the impeller out? Some disconnect the batteries?

Like Lee said, probably a good idea to hook it up in the driveway first. Then drag it to the ramp.

sdub 03-10-2010 11:01 AM

how much fuel do you have in the tank?. regular dosing of fuel stabilizer lasts 12 months. I would consider replacing the tank with some fresh fuel.

wakemikey 03-10-2010 11:25 AM

Please remember to try not to run your antifreeze out into the lake or the storm drain. Auto shops should accept used antifreeze. I put a bucket under my exhaust to catch the first few gallons when we run the hose/fake a lake in the driveway. Its a little easier with my fresh air exhaust.

loudontn 03-10-2010 11:46 AM

WakeMikey, you can get RV anti-freeze that is environmentally friendly to run in the lake I believe.

infantryman2oo2 03-10-2010 11:53 AM

thanks for the advise guys. hopefully it works when i hook up the hose.

espritv8 03-23-2010 4:26 PM

Quote:

how much fuel do you have in the tank?. regular dosing of fuel stabilizer lasts 12 months. I would consider replacing the tank with some fresh fuel.
How would you do that, especially if the tank is full.

Got a 2008 repo boat, and it sat there for more than 2 years... don't know if it was stabilized and don't know how long the gas stayed in it.

chris4x4gill2 03-24-2010 5:34 AM

I would hope that any antifreeze in his system is RV/Marine rated. If so it is biodegradable and no worries on spilling it into the drain.

bill_airjunky 03-24-2010 11:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by espritv8 (Post 1564934)
How would you do that, especially if the tank is full.

Got a 2008 repo boat, and it sat there for more than 2 years... don't know if it was stabilized and don't know how long the gas stayed in it.

2 yrs old, I think I'd drain it, or at least the bulk of it.

I gave 5 gallons of contaminated gas (had oil & water in it) to a buddy who has a huge burn pile. We waited till a drizzly, cold day last winter, threw it on the pile for a couple hours, then lit it up. I bet the flames were fifty feet high!

Your local waste transfer station will have a hazardous waste disposal area too. I suppose that would be the responsible way to get rid of it..... but not nearly as much fun.

espritv8 03-24-2010 3:23 PM

Yeah, if the tank is full, i have about 49 gallons to get rid of, not an easy task!!!