WakeWorld

WakeWorld (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/index.php)
-   Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3183)
-   -   Epic 21v vs axis a20/t22 (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/showthread.php?t=805205)

Sparticcus 07-29-2015 1:24 AM

Epic 21v vs axis a20/t22

Alright everyone I am new to the forum here so bare with me if I'm bringing up overdone topics. I am prepping to buy a boat next season starting my homework now. I've grown up around tournament boats and now I wakeboard and love to surf. I am looking to get my own boat instead of just going out on my fathers. I am budget constrained reasonably as I can't afford to take a new mortgage for a boat but I am open to up to 65k range approximately. I am looking for a boat I can surf behind without a ton of extra add ons. I have a solid axis dealer near me and the ones I'm looking at come with surf gate and 750 bags installed with plug and play in the rear and a front ballast already. I am really impressed with the axis boats for the bang for the buck. The axis boats I'm looking at I end up mostly around mid to high 60's and that's really pushing my upper range. I have tried unsuccessfully to find reviews or info on the epic boats. They look amazing out of the box and have huge ballast to start with. Can I get some advice between the options I know there are used boats as well which I am open to I'm just leaning towards newer due to easier financing and longer terms etc. I have an epic dealer in my state as well but idk how great they are or how much dealer support I can expect but I can't find much prices for them either. Anyways I would appreciate any incite or info to help me get educated on these boats.

cedarcreek216V 07-29-2015 5:39 AM

There is a thread on here about a recent Epic experience that would give me big time doubts about buying one. Go with the Axis or see if there is a MB dealer near you that has a solid reputation. I am pretty sure for your price range and looking new those manufacturers are what the majority are going to point you to. If you don't have to buy new, $65k opens up a ton of good pre-owned options.

boardjnky4 07-29-2015 5:47 AM

Not even a question. Axis all the way.

Sparticcus 07-29-2015 5:55 AM

I'm not set on buying new just need to make sure I can get solid financing options to keep monthly payments low is all. I thought that recent thread issue was about the dealer itself and the boats delivery being garbage more than anything

chattwake 07-29-2015 5:56 AM

Axis all day. Malibu/Axis has a huge dealer network. Axis boats are easy to resell down the road (I've sold 3). They hold up great. I had very very few problems with 2 A22's and 1 A24. The wakes are some of the best in the industry, and the waves (especially behind the T22) are solid. Surfgate really helps maximize your riding/surfing time, and allows for transfers. Epic has no surf system whatsoever.

Also, as mentioned above, after the way that Epic and its horrible dealer handled the last guy who ordered a new boat an experienced a bunch of issues, I'd never buy an Epic product.

Sparticcus 07-29-2015 6:02 AM

That's unfortunate because the epic product looks like it has a ton of possibilities to be great. I thought they had a tab system on both sides of the bottom of the boat to tune the wake . At least that's what I've seen and the wake is suppose to be great on the epics. I know the axis boats are great the t22 looks like the perfect boat for me and the surf gate system is extremely nice. Also if there is a better listing site to find maybe a one or two year old axis that would be great. I'm looking to price things out and get it planned before next season.

chattwake 07-29-2015 6:02 AM

Chase - you are correct, in that the dealer was awful in the other guy's situation. However, keep in mind that Epic chooses its dealers. When a dealer drops the ball like Texas Auto Liquidators did, Epic should have stepped up and made things right with the customer (Epic is on the hook for the warranty repairs). Instead, it certainly appeared that Epic drug its feet and cost the buyer tons of time on the water. Also, keep in mind that the other guy's boat was sold by Epic to one dealer, then (apparently) was transferred by Epic to Texas Auto Liquidators (presumably by Epic after dealer 1 closed doors). However, Epic either failed to inspect the boat or failed to require TAL to inspect it before it was sold to the buyer to ensure it was in new, operable, condition. The whole situation stunk. The worst part was that, because the buyer did not have a local Epic dealer, it sounded like the entire warranty process was a cluster in and of itself.

chattwake 07-29-2015 6:03 AM

Look on www.onlyinboards.com

Where are you located? If you're in the southeast I can keep my eyes open for you for anything used.

Sparticcus 07-29-2015 6:05 AM

I'm in Minnesota I have a solid axis dealer near me and from what I've found they seem pretty awesome customer support wise and your right the epic situation sucks and is a huge screw up on all facets.

boardjnky4 07-29-2015 6:13 AM

From what I have heard, the wake on the Epic is not that good. Hard to clean up especially at slower speeds.

CPanner 07-29-2015 6:56 AM

I own an Epic 21V. The wakeboard wake is amazing (those that say they are hard to set up must not be able to work 3 switches). However the surf wave leaves a lot to be desired, I don't surf so I don't care about it. Other than the poor surf wave I have no complaints regarding my Epic..... Great wakeboard wake, great stereo, I got the 8.2L so it's got more than enough power. All around the boat is perfect for me, but won't be for everyone.

Sparticcus 07-29-2015 6:58 AM

Thank you im glad to hear something positive about the epic that sucks about the surf sake though because that's really important to me I wakeboard but want to surf a lot as well any particular reason the surf wake isn't great?

CPanner 07-29-2015 7:25 AM

Keep in mind that my 21V does not have the outside surf tabs. If you search on here there are a couple guys that have fitted surfgate style tabs to their Epic's with great success.

That being said, my surf wave is very surfable, it's just not on par with the boats that have actual surf systems now.

501s 07-29-2015 7:27 AM

Axis everyday all day. I am Not a fan of epics.

jarrod 07-29-2015 7:47 AM

If you have a solid Axis dealer than this should be an easy decision.

I bought a 2015 A22 this year and I couldn't be happier. I have never surfed it, but I hear it's good.

k2rider 07-29-2015 7:51 AM

The huge thing to think about when buying a new boat is the dealer. Like you said you have a good dealer for the Axis brand so without a doubt that would be how I'd lean. These are boats not cars, so when something goes wrong you want/need a good dealer to go to. An average or below average dealer is not going to go above and beyond to keep you on the water no matter what.

IMO Axis all the way. I split time with my boat and my buddy's A22 and love his boat especially the ease of surfing. But go test ride each one and pick what you like the best.

Epic21v 07-29-2015 8:35 AM

We have had an epic 21v for 3 years now and its been a great boat, the wakeboard wake is solid but it really shines is its surf wave.. Tons of push. We surf on the starboard side we run stock starboard full the front full port at about a ¼ and an extra 750 in the starboard locker at 11.7 the wave is awesome! It's a great boat for the money but there is no dealer anywhere near MN.. We have a lake in the DL area in Minnesota but had to drive to Missouri to pick the boat up. They've seemed to step up on the interior quality as well! If you have any other questions about eoic shoot me a message we also have some video of the wake and wave if you'd like to see that!

tjb1080 07-29-2015 8:51 AM

AXIS!!!!!!
Ive actually never owned either boat, (Im an MC guy, save your comments) but I can say ive ridden behind both. And the Axis is simply the best way to go.
Im sure there are a few good things about the Epic but good luck getting that thing serviced and you'll need even more luck if you ever decide to sell it.
The Axis is hands down the best "price point' boat on the market today. no contest
Just my opinion. :)

CPanner 07-29-2015 10:16 AM

Lots "opinions" in here from people that likely have never owned or ridden behind an Epic. I've never owner or ridden behind an Axis but I've never said anything negative about them either, great boats from what I can see. As far as re-sale goes, when's the last time you saw some one give away an Epic, or one sit on onlyinboards for more than a couple weeks? I shopped around lots before buying mine and I can tell you the resale on them is just fine.

22vdrive 07-29-2015 11:22 AM

Axis all day you'll be able to sell it quicker and it had the better wake and surf wave. Plus it's much better looking than an axis. Surfing behind an epic is a joke.

chattwake 07-29-2015 12:33 PM

A guy here in Chattanooga had a hell of a time selling an Epic last summer. I don't know the numbers, I just heard he got killed.

Sparticcus 07-29-2015 1:13 PM

Any info on the surf trim tabs on the epics it looks like its their answer to surf gate. i know the axis is great and i still appreciate the feedback and experiences on them but im still looking at info on the epic to i got a quote from a bit south for a brand new 21v fully loaded stereo paint upgrades pretty much everything at it came out to like 63k which is pretty reasonable.

CPanner 07-29-2015 1:36 PM

The surf trim tabs on the Epic are not an answer to surfgate. Since they are not mounted sideways they do nothing to delay the wave convergence, which is what surfgate does. The Epic surf trim tabs are more similar to the MC gen 1 system, pretty much used to level the boat, but will not provide a wave as good as surfgate or NSS.

Sparticcus 07-29-2015 2:23 PM

Ok so i am officially off the epic option i talked to a dealer who used to sell epic and frankly their factory support is horrid took them eight months just to get parts for a customers boat. They have restructured and done lots of moving around corporately and its hurting customers and dealers big time. He reccomended i check out the moomba mondo and flat out raves about that boat bang for the buck quality wise. I can get a extremely well equiped mondo brand new for 63 and ive found a few one year old ones for 56. Thoughts? feelings?

xstarrider 07-29-2015 2:39 PM

If you're in the Axis range I would definitely check out the Moomba Mondo or the brand new Moomba Craz The boats fall in your price range are pretty much dead on with the Axis line. I'd even say the new Craze, Mondo, and Mojo are step ahead in overall finish on the Axis. The Axis is one awesome boat line. Their wakes are on par with the big boys and their boats are simple to set up with clean wakes for miles. The T22 would be my choice in their line. It's the most versatile IMO as far as surf and boarding though I haven't been in the new redesigned A22. Hands down though if your thinking Axis you're doing yourself a disservice if you don't stop in at a Moomba dealer these days. Their product has taken huge steps

jwweathers 07-29-2015 2:45 PM

DO NOT buy an Epic. **** boat. Period. Take a look at an MB. If you're looking at Moomba/Axis, you should take a look at MB. They are quality boats. A 2015 F21 can be had for less than 60k.

iShredSAN 07-29-2015 2:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sparticcus (Post 1918091)
Ok so i am officially off the epic option i talked to a dealer who used to sell epic and frankly their factory support is horrid

Out of curiosity what does said dealer sell now?

brett33 07-29-2015 2:51 PM

Swat beat me to it.. I was going to say if looking at Moomba now, the new Craz might be a good option.

https://vimeo.com/133507424

Sparticcus 07-29-2015 2:55 PM

this is the dealer i spoke to seemed like a really solid upfront guy gave me some great info and help with my info gathering seemed like a really solid guy to work with.
http://www.romoboco.com/

brett33 07-29-2015 3:06 PM

Or you could stretch your budget a bit and pick up this beauty I saw on PN the other day.. 2013 Nautique 210 with NSS, FAE and like 60 hours. Think the guy is down around 70k and not far from Minneapolis

http://www.planetnautique.com/vb5/fo...6-2013-210-nss

cedarcreek216V 07-29-2015 6:49 PM

Epic 21v vs axis a20/t22

^^^this was kind of what I was getting at but did not know constraints on manufactures.

Gotmods 07-30-2015 12:02 AM

Glad to see you saw the light. Moomba or Axis are great boats with great dealers. I'm lucky to have a great dealer that carries both. Happy hunting, enjoy!

patrick232 07-30-2015 6:17 AM

Have you seen the new Moomba Craze for 2016. Might be worth getting a demo with the auto flow 2 system. I'm not even going to demo as my 14 Mondo is good with the manual flow. Just need to add the IBS to help. Don't need any temptation

Tolleson2354 07-30-2015 7:46 AM

If you have a Sanger dealer anywhere in your area you may take a look at the V237, they can be had new for right around your price range and with 1100# sacs it will throw a very competitive wake without any kind of surf system.

Medium 07-31-2015 12:47 PM

Get an Axis and you won't be disappointed. I love everything about my 2015 A22. The wake and wave are both great.

RideGull 08-01-2015 9:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sparticcus (Post 1918013)
I'm in Minnesota I have a solid axis dealer near me and from what I've found they seem pretty awesome customer support wise and your right the epic situation sucks and is a huge screw up on all facets.

You have the #1 malibu/axis dealer in the country in MN. It is well known that they are a great dealer. Do not forget to consider dealer support in your search.
You also have a great Moomba dealer if you are in central MN. I am not too familiar with the Moomba dealer near minneapolis.

Definitely go Axis or Moomba considering the dealers in MN. I would not go any other route when looking at a value line.

jjaszkow 08-03-2015 2:06 PM

I bought my Axis from the dealership in MN. They are amazing to work with, and when it is time for me to upgrade, I won't even be shopping around. Really underscores that the dealership service can transcend the brand.