WakeWorld

WakeWorld (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/index.php)
-   Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3183)
-   -   Toolkit in ur boat (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/showthread.php?t=786855)

wakescene 04-09-2011 4:51 PM

Toolkit in ur boat

I always carry a small assortment of tools in the boat in a thick plastic bag for that "just in case"scenario. I am trying to come up with some new ideas for holding and storing these tools.

What kinds of tools is everyone carrying, and more importantly what are you carrying/storing them in?

thanks,
KG

whelchel86 04-09-2011 5:31 PM

I just picked up one of those cheap universal kits from Lowes that has almost one of everything in it. it was well under $100 and has worked anytime i have ever needed it. Everything folds up into the case and it fits under the seat.

Silverbullet555 04-09-2011 6:03 PM

I picked up some clear boxes from office depot that hold my tools. They sit in a storage locker hoping to never be used. They are made by reallyusefulproducts.com. They are overpriced but I like them. I have a full tool set in 2 boxes.

cwb4me 04-09-2011 7:50 PM

I have a plastic tool box from Snap-On full of Snap-On Tools.I also have Snap-On jumper cables.Just in case.

ilikebeaverandboats 04-09-2011 7:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cwb4me (Post 1671297)
I have a plastic tool box from Snap-On full of Snap-On Tools.I also have Snap-On jumper cables.Just in case.

doesnt count! your the rep hahahaha!

Jeff 04-09-2011 7:59 PM

Not tools but I keep a spare raw water impeller, a belt and an extra quart of 15w40 (Good for my engine and V-Drive/Transmission). For the impeller I keep two paint can openers that make it easier to pull the old one out by hooking behind it.

Jeff 04-09-2011 8:04 PM

Also, since it's so cheap for a Chinese, supposedly ignition protected, starter from here:
http://www.dbelectrical.com/

I've thought about buying a spare starter. My primary starter is from there (Chinese too) and it's been fine for about 25 hrs (100+ starts since I rarely let it idle) now.

frosty2469 04-10-2011 12:17 AM

I have a small Craftsman tool / socket set, I added some pliers, screwdrivers, etc.
I got all Craftsman tools when possible, so that if / when they rust out, I can replace them for free!
I have a few impellers, hose clamps, tape, a cheap multimeter...spare prop & puller, and a battery jump box.
Probably forgot something...
I'm going to add a spare fuel pump to it this summer.

cwb4me 04-10-2011 5:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ilikebeaverandboats (Post 1671298)
doesnt count! your the rep hahahaha!

I can still use them if i need them.Also a battery jump box is a good idea if you play a stereo all day.:D

jrw160 04-10-2011 6:26 AM

I keep tools in a waterproof pelican case. I think I have pliers, a couple of allen wrenches, screwdrivers, and a spare impeller in there right now.

882001 04-10-2011 9:15 AM

http://www.google.com/products/catal...=0CCoQ8gIwAg#/

cadunkle 04-10-2011 3:11 PM

screwdrivers, a few wrenches, adjustable wrench, pliers, dikes, electric tape, sand paper, vice grips, can of carb cleaner and quart of oil and trans fluid... And a couple paddles. This season I'll be keeping spare belts and impeller on the boat. I just have it in a bag in one of my storage compartments. Should cover any stupid little stuff that could come up. For more major things, that's where the paddles come in. :)

h2ohangtime 04-10-2011 7:45 PM

I have a basic toolkit that I bought at Target--it has metric and English sockets, crescent, pliers, etc. The part I like that that the case is the perfect size to stand up straight and fit between the gunwhale and the side of the rear seat--totally out of the way but easily accessed if needed.

chris4x4gill2 04-10-2011 7:59 PM

I just keep the basics. Screwdrivers, pliers (needlenose and channel locks) sockets to fit, and some zip ties andtape. Also have allen wrenches to fit a few things on the boat. Any repair I can do on the water I can do with these things. Also keep a spare impeller, belt and oil. It all stores in a soft sides tool bag and stores under the rear seat.

Also keep a good knife and a pair of goggles on board in case I wrap a line in the prop.

Shooter 04-10-2011 8:33 PM

I had one of those universal kits on my last boat and it rusted up quick. This time I used a Pelican Case with the basics. I place the tools in waterproof bags and wrap them in Marine Tuff Cloth just to be safe. A good knife, adjustable wrench, pliers, screwdrivers, wire cutter and a mask is all you really need. A prop and prop puller is also nice, but I dont think of that as part of my "tool kit".

ian_ashton 04-11-2011 6:54 AM

I also keep it pretty basic;
  • Utility Knife
  • Screw Driver
  • Crescent Wrench
  • Wire Cutters
  • Plyers
  • Allen Wrench multi-tool (I don't know what they are actually called, just one of those folding things with 12 different sizes)

I also carry electrical tape, band aides, and that kind of stuff as well.

I used to keep a bag full of all sorts of tools, and it just became a PITA to find what I might be looking for quickly, so I pared it down. I keep my boat on an inland lake, so if there every was any sort of major repair I'd just drift to shore, walk around the lake and get a buddies boat to tow mine back in.

wakescene 04-11-2011 10:59 AM

Goo info, thanks