WakeWorld

WakeWorld (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/index.php)
-   Non-Wakeboarding Discussion (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=4387)
-   -   Kanye West is out (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/showthread.php?t=784793)

benbuchholz 11-16-2010 7:24 PM

Kanye West is out

Okay so I'm pretty big into all types of music, and the new Kanye album "My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy" leaked a week or so ago. I got my hands on it today, and I really like it. I put something up on facebook about it, and a certain WW member jumped all over it (he knows who he is :D ). So I wanted to see what the WW community thought. Here's my thoughts: Kanye is a total d-bag, but I personally could care less. He makes music that no one else is making right now, in regards to the beat and instrumentals. Stuff you can really just groove to. Plus it's got a LOT of collabo on it; Jay Z, Nicki Minaj, Kid Cudi, rick ross, Bon Iver, Pusha T, Swizz Beatz, John Legend, etc. It's not your cookie cutter "I drive my bugatti, and party with the hotties, drink patron and take the girl home" radio rap music. I suggest at least giving it a listen, it's different than his old stuff. So has anyone else gotten their hands on this album? what are your thoughts? or does nobody really care?

westsiderippa 11-16-2010 7:51 PM

not a fan, but really like the runaway track

mjfan23 11-16-2010 8:29 PM

Kanye is a clown.

brettw 11-16-2010 9:27 PM

The guy is a total p.o.s. and i would never buy anything he puts out or support him in any way.

dakid 11-16-2010 10:38 PM

i just scanned through the cd...wow......

....that sucked!!!!!!!!

snwmot 11-17-2010 1:01 AM

lmao im with you Joe^ talentless IMO

jarrod 11-17-2010 7:03 AM

I'll check it out, but I generally don't like his music. I think mostly because I don't like him.

Rap music is more about style and swagger than anything else, and Kayne doesn't have it for me.

benbuchholz 11-17-2010 7:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by brettw (Post 1646416)
The guy is a total p.o.s. and i would never buy anything he puts out or support him in any way.

You won't find me buyin this album either, just cuz he's a d bag. Financially I'm not gonna support the guy with even one cent of my money. Looks like I'm alone on liking this one. But thinking about it, there's not really a type of music I don't like. Country, rock, alternative, acoustic, metal, punk, hip-hop, underground, etc. So maybe that has something to do with why I dont think this is complete trash. Talentless though? He's produced some tracks for some very successful artists, jay z, alicia keys, nas, talib kweli.

But maybe I'm just dumb. According to this "music that makes you dumb" graph. Interesting

beatcrave.com/2009-03-03/music-that-makes-you-dumb/

buffalow 11-17-2010 7:59 AM

I am a HUGE rap fan, since early 80's. I can't stand Kanye. Heck for that matter most of today's radio played music. I am not saying he is not talented, but there are so many great lyricists out there, why put up with that nonsense. Love him or hate him, Eminem lyrically is the best on the planet, not to mention the greatest selling rapper in history. You really have to look outside of mainstream to hear the quality. I just stumbled upon The Kool Kids and they are like an old skool rap group. Solid beats and rhymes. I can't stand Jay Z's music either, but I have mad respect for him. He is extremely talented, great lyrics and beats and a incredible business man and his music is very good consistently over many years. He does not cave to mainstream crap.

Ben - I am not at all being disrespectful. Everybody has a right to like or hate anything. I am just saying grab an old skool album by eminem, snoop, 2pac, dre,public enemy, run dmc or queen latifah. And it will remind you of how good the music can be. I went back and listen to LL COOL J's first album RADIO and it is incredible. The lyrics & the beats... No one had done that before he was around. It is so polished and smooth.

stanfield 11-17-2010 9:08 AM

The words "Kanye" and "makes music noone else is making right now" should never be used in the same sentence.

No offense, but go exploring past the iTunes top 40, there's much better hip hop out there. Complete with beats and instrumentals from some of the most talented artists to ever grace studios.

stephan 11-17-2010 9:24 AM

Haven't heard the new album but since this is a Kanye bash I'll participate. Not fond of the individual, like some of his music. I'd say with each album he's got 2-3 good songs. And he was good on Kid Cudi's Poke Her Face track.

When you said "Kanye West is out", I thought this post was going to be about him admitting he's gay.

benbuchholz 11-17-2010 9:42 AM

Nah no disrespect taken, buffalow. I know there's way better stuff out there than Kanye. I never said there wasnt. I just wanted to see peoples thoughts on the album. I actually used to hate kanye, and for the most part I can't stand radio or your "top 40 itunes". This is the first kanye album I've liked. I was a bit surprised. Stanfield, find me someone elses music that sounds like kanyes (his instrumentals are wat I was referring to). Note that I never said it was better or the best, just that it sounds like no one else's right now. I say I like one mainstream artists album and you assume I just listen to the 6 people on the radio? Wrong. Radio is .1% of the music I listen to.

But I agree with you buffalow, Jason I think right? Underground and old school hip hop and rap is 100x better than kanye or any radio. Minus snoop. :p not a fan. artists like dilated peoples, swollen members, pos, atmosphere, dre, 2pac, chiddy bang, jedi mind tricks, constellations, ratatat, nwa, ll cool j, del tha funkee homosapien, run dmc, etc. etc. all make/made better music. Id listen to them over kanye in a heartbeat. If u havent seen the gymkhana video with the cool kids, check it out on YouTube. Love that song.

benbuchholz 11-17-2010 9:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stephan (Post 1646498)
Haven't heard the new album but since this is a Kanye bash I'll participate. Not fond of the individual, like some of his music. I'd say with each album he's got 2-3 good songs. And he was good on Kid Cudi's Poke Her Face track.

When you said "Kanye West is out", I thought this post was going to be about him admitting he's gay.

See this sums it up for me. Not a fan of him, but like his music. And I thought the same thing after I posted the title hahah. It'd explain a lot wouldnt it

buffalow 11-17-2010 10:05 AM

Yhea Ben, It's JB. Just that video out and that's what I am talking about. Pure beats and legit lyrics. This song makes me want to punch Kanye in the face for most of the nonsense he spews. As I listen to Howard Stern discussing the success of "whip my hair" by willow smith, it saddens me that this is the state of our music or kids or repeating.

FYI - Delta Sessions 1 & 2 soundtracks are all local artists and everyone one of their albums are legit. I picked the individual songs because of lyrics or beats or both. If you spend anytime looking out there, there is endless music sources. I wish I could take any one of those artists and put them on a top 40 Itunes because they would be huge, but since they would not sell out to that crap, it will never happen. Just youtube anyone of them and see their quality and commitment to their own style.

Look at Depswa. A incredible band, was on the radio, videos, and Ozzfest. Now they struggle because of label issues and their label not backing them up over the years. They just released an album that I think rivals their first and I think a few songs are the best they have done. Yet they get no love. Not because of their quality, but because of the label. It is easier for them to push nickelback and fuel, than new bands that are being super creative and different.

dakid 11-17-2010 12:16 PM

what's wrong w/ nickelbrokeback???

just kidding...i hate nickelback.

lizzyb 11-17-2010 12:27 PM

I like some of Kanye's older music.. Graduation and Late Registration are decent. It all went downhill for me with 808's and Heartbreak. Yuck. I haven't heard the new CD.. but I don't have much interest. I'll stick with Eminem's Recovery. :)

bcrider 11-17-2010 1:35 PM

I couldn't really care less who Kanye West is as a person....if I like his music I like his music. I haven't heard the new album but I did like all of his previous albums and when he was in Vancouver back in the day for his first album it was one of the best concerts I have seen.

trace 11-17-2010 4:17 PM

I thought the subject line meant he finally admitted he's gay.

canucked 11-23-2010 12:32 PM

It's pretty easy to hate on Kanye, his tool factor can be pretty high.

That being said, I bought this album yesterday and it is....pretty darn good, and I think it'll only grow on me more as I listen to it.

hatepain 11-23-2010 1:43 PM

Kanyes does pull a lot of stupid crap to be sure but I think he puts out some pretty different music that often times offers a glimpse into him and often resonates with me. Its certainly not just "I have this, I am that" king of the world crap. Not to mention you know most of you were playing "Good Life" on your boats 07/08. :)

diamonddad 11-23-2010 3:17 PM

Kanye is a prick.

Nickleback is one of my least favorite bands! I have to change the channel when they come on the radio. I would likley die if someone forced me to sit through one of their concerts. How can anyone like that dribble?

bradmo42 11-24-2010 8:18 AM

a) If you listen to stuff under the top 40, doesn't that make YOU the one listening to bad music?
b) Regardless, there is a lot of other music out there that is very very good, but not listening to mainstream stuff does not make you any cooler than anyone else.
c) Half of you are idiots and your reasoning is all wrong. Is Michael Vick a bad football player cause he went to jail for dog fighting?

Kanye has made some stupid stupid moves in his career but the guy has talent. He has clearly changed the way a LOT of people feel about rap and he has opened the door to so many ideas and people. The cd is great. Very well thought out.

If you really think its that bad and he is "that bad," you should just google it and see what other people are saying. This has been one of the biggest drops in a long time. He released a song every friday for nearly three months. I dont think I have ever seen such anticipation for an album.

PictureMeRollin 11-24-2010 10:25 AM

The first time I scanned the "My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy", I thought it sucked. I probably listened to about 30 seconds of each track.

A few days later when I had time, I played the album end to end a few times and it's growing on me! "My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy" is a very good album, something you sit down and listen to in full. There have been so many complaints about artists putting out music for ringtones but this is not one of those. I'm glad to see a real album by a mainstream artist.

FYI I like Micheal Jackson's music but I still think he was the ultimate weirdo. Same goes for Kanye, I think he's an social idiot but a brilliant artist.

bcrider 11-24-2010 12:32 PM

^^^^ In my opinion that's what make's them great artists. It seems as if any good actor, singer/musician, or actual painter/sculptor type artist has to be a little f'd in the head to be good at what they do. It what enables different perspectives or creativity in any medium.

brettw 11-24-2010 1:54 PM

And the douche-bag unfortunately opens his loud obnoxious mouth again:

http://new.music.yahoo.com/blogs/hip...aining/317955/

This dude needs to learn to just keep his mouth shut.