WakeWorld

WakeWorld (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/index.php)
-   Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3183)
-   -   Boat choices just got tougher!! (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/showthread.php?t=795724)

boardman74 09-28-2012 3:47 PM

Boat choices just got tougher!!

Went to the dealer today to pickup my boat where it's been on consignment. Boat hasn't moved and we thought we'd found the deal we wanted and we ready to trade the boat elsewhere. Well kind of out of nowhere this dealer threw me some pretty great prices. I've tried working with this dealer before and just never been able to get what I thought was a fair deal. Only reason my boat was there is they have a great consignment program and get a ton of visibility.

So know is the tough part for within 1K of each other the choice it:
2013 Tige RZR pretty basic options: cover, wind dam, 303 engine, swivel racks, etc,

2012 Malibu V ride (demo 50 hours) Again pretty basic options: red tower, mid ballast(900 total), dual battery, power wedge, cover, depth finder, sound pack 2(6 speakers with amp in boat).

2012 Axis A22(demo 20 hours). This one is pretty loaded. Dual batteries, plug and play with 2300 lbs bags plus stock, wedge, V2 tower upgrade, 2 sets tower speakers, 3 amps, sub, etc, cover, chilax seating, Deck trac pads, tatami mat, Tricked out gel coat upgrade, swivel racks, etc.

Boat one and 2 are optioned very similar except for the Tige touch on the RZR. V ride is bigger and obviously a proven hull. I am not sure if I like the look of the Axis. Its obviously going to have the best wake of the bunch with the setup. I am almost 40 and am not a hard core rider. I feel like the A22 is going to be over kill for me and my little kids. The room of the V ride and the Axis is nice over the RZR but we don't really need it. I am sure the 900 lb stock ballast will be fine for us.

For intermediate riders and below and starting surfers what would you recommend and why. WE are planning to keep the boat long term but resale and value are still important. It's a tough choice to me.

polarbill 09-28-2012 4:09 PM

If you think you are going to surf a lot I would probably lean towards the RZR but then again it is a lot smaller boat than the other 2 and the RZR has a smaller engine. I suppose the RZR is probably the most "high end" of the 3. I like the classic looks of the Vride probably the best. You will need some more ballast in the bow of the Vride if you plan on using the wedge. I would plumb in some sort of front ballast or use lead and I would piggy back some 750's in the rear for surfing. So I guess my choie would be the Vride knowing that I would have to add a few things. Then again the Axis sounds ready to roll from the get go.

kko13 09-28-2012 5:04 PM

You have them in the order I would own them. Dont forget the RZR will have free service for three years. I am sure you are aware of this..that can add up to a pretty good chunk a change. Good luck.

kko13 09-28-2012 5:31 PM

RZR best surf wave by far of the bunch and makes the same great wake on both sides along with an awesome WB wake.

The Vride is also a very nice boat. WB wake is awesome. Surf wave is nice.

Never had the Axis on the water...I think its been covered the WB is top notch and havent seen to much of the surf wave. I have been in them at surf expo and boat shows...and they just didnt do it for me....but that is a personal preference thing.
Pull the trigger already will ya!! Jk I know your trying to make the best decsion for your family..Good Luck!!!!

jeff_mn 09-28-2012 5:37 PM

Great problem to have..

The biggest boat with the most options is probably the least desireable for your needs.. Crazy, huh?

Sounds like your mind is made up on the RZR.

boardman74 09-28-2012 5:56 PM

I know the maintenance can add up quick. That is a nice option. Surfing is also really the only thing the wife can do( and tube) because of her knee so really want the best boat for that. I think any of the 3 will turn out a pretty respectable WB wake.

The Axis started to sound like the R-20 pretty fast. Cheap vinyl, less warranty etc. Kevin I am with you about the styling. Its just not my bag. Pretty boat in black and lime green but just not sure of the ultra modern industrial style. Also wife doesn't like the playpen bows, again because it's hard to crawl around with her knee. Wife is more conservative in her style and I just don't think she is going to like the A22. We are going to take a look Monday. But she is a Malibu Junky and I think she is going to like the Vride. Her favorite boat we have seen was 2010 VLX that was just out of our price range. I really think she is going to like the classic Malibu style of the Vride. I was kind of surprised she really likes the RZR where it has the flashier stuff, but she does like the bling. Especially in her wild Coach purses!!

I'm pretty sure it's going to come down to the RZR and the Vride. Those 2 are $500 difference. But 2013 new vs. 2012 65 hour demo. Options are almost identical. Tige does have the Tige touch and taps. But the Bu has power wedge and 6 speaker stereo with amp vs. 4 speaker without amp. Vride is a bigger boat with bigger engine. But like I said we don't need the size so more gas and needs a size bigger boat lift($1000 more). Bu also has a tandem trailer which sure tows better!!

Trust me Kevin this is driving me nuts. We are going to keep this one till the kids go to college so trying to do it right. If it was still riding season up here I would have pulled the trigger on something. Also have a wife who makes 6 figures and pays the bulk of the bills while I finish my accounting degree and she has been a trooper thru this process and has to sign off too. In the end she says it's my decision and the kids because we are the riders. She just loves being on the boat. Her requirements are that it has a sun pad, radio, cooler(beer), and handles like a direct drive!! She really most days could care less if she rides behind the boat, but don't try leaving her on shore!!

johnny_defacto 09-28-2012 11:07 PM

good thing is that both the boats you seem to be deciding between (rzr and vride) have really easy wakeboarding wakes for beginners up to advanced. They both have mellow wakes that will be clean at really low speeds, 17-18 with no ballast... the A22 will be that way as well.

Throw some weight in both those boats and they quickly get big, but easy to build and not very temperamental.

Throw up pictures of both of them if you have any.

kko13 09-29-2012 4:39 AM

Does the 65 hr demo boat still have warranty? If so I would make sure you get it in writing on the contract.

kko13 09-29-2012 5:20 AM

If surfing is your main sport the RZR really is the boat you want.

Houstonshark 09-29-2012 6:21 AM

I'm pretty sure the other boats won't even be close to this stock:

Regular:
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/12/09/29/5u9u2aba.jpg

Goofy:
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/12/09/29/a2e3uban.jpg

Not the best pics but you get the point.

Fiveflat 09-29-2012 7:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kko13 (Post 1786405)
RZR best surf wave by far

Quote:

Originally Posted by kko13 (Post 1786405)
Never had the Axis on the water..

Sound advice... :rolleyes:

From what I read by others, the RZR has a proven surf wave I agree. My A22 has a great one as well. At least it's James Walker approved. He rode behind mine with stock ballast, we didn't try to get the best wave we possibly could and he still loved it. Go figure :)

22vdrive 09-29-2012 7:53 AM

I'm with houstonshark that is one nice surf wave plus it puts out just a fine wakeboarding wake.

Houstonshark is that the trinity river?

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 2

Houstonshark 09-29-2012 9:03 AM

It's on the San Bernard River. Not the best vantage shot in those pics. Or at least, they were not taken in a position to make the wake look big.

I guess I haven't seen an Axis surf wave. Any pics?

I liked the A22 at the boat show before we bought our RZR. My wife immediately said no. She said the interior was too shallow.

kko13 09-29-2012 1:06 PM

Smart wife ^^^^^!

boardman74 09-29-2012 3:31 PM

Sure is alot of votes for the RZR!! Figured it would go for the Malibu then the Axis, then the Tige.

We definately ride more than we surf. The first time I surfed was when we demo'd the Tige. But I really see that becoming alot more for all of us. I'm getting older and as a disabled Vet my body is not what I think it is. The surfing is far sure less impact. I could surf alot longer right off. Its the only thing really my wife can do. She has tried wakeboarding and will probably try again, but she has a hard time bending her knee enough to crouch to get up. Surfing is going to be alot easier on her body too. So it is important to have a boat that surfs as well as possible. The RZR also had more than enough WB wake for me with stock ballast. Way more than I need. That was stock ballast(900), but we had 10 in the boat. Will probably need some more weight to duplicate that.

Kevin I was told by the salesman that the boat included full warranty. But a demo with 60-70 hours seemed like alot to me. Thats probably a year of hours for us. The RZR we demo'd (probably the one we would buy) also had hours on it. Was at 9 when we got out and we were in it less than 2. Plus the dealer was heading back out when he dropped us off so it got a few more hours. So I would want the dealer to drop some more for the hours. When we agreed to a price on the boat I assumed the only hours would be from my demo. Not that I was going to pick it up with 10-12 hours or more.

TJ I full anticipate the same response form my wife...a very quick NO to the Axis. I may even get reminded that I'm not 21 anymore. Very nice boat with very aggressive styling. That boat has a target market and I'm sure it's not me at 38.

Houstonshark 09-29-2012 4:47 PM

The nice thing about a demo with 10-12 hours on it is that it should be running like a champ and have most of the bugs worked out. I wouldn't shy away from one, even with 50 or so hours. I'd really think back though to how the dealer treated the boat during the demo. If he was hard on it and treated it like a rental, then may have been some pretty hard hours on the boat so far. If the dealer was meticulous and really cared for the boat, asked passengers to remove their shoes, etc, I wouldn't worry about it at all and I probably wouldn't expect a really deep discount due to the hours.

boardman74 09-29-2012 5:00 PM

Not looking for a deep discount. Just another grand or so in store credit for a set of rev 10's or the bimini!!

fsuwake12 09-29-2012 6:56 PM

Red Bull Flugtag

My name is Hunter and I am captain of the Florida State University Wakeboard team. 5 of us put together a team and got accepted to be in Red Bull Flugtag Miami! We are Team Despicable Me!
If you could help support some fellow wakeboarders and go like our team page that would be awesome!
facebook.com/despicablemeflugtag
@teamdespicablem
http://www.redbullflugtagusa.com/#/team/despicable-me
Thank you for the support!
Team Despicable Me

Fiveflat 09-29-2012 10:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by boardman74 (Post 1786532)
TJ I full anticipate the same response form my wife...a very quick NO to the Axis. I may even get reminded that I'm not 21 anymore. Very nice boat with very aggressive styling. That boat has a target market and I'm sure it's not me at 38.

This isn't the first time I've seen this comment on wakeworld. Why is the Axis inappropriate for someone 38?

johnny_defacto 09-29-2012 10:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fiveflat (Post 1786624)
This isn't the first time I've seen this comment on wakeworld. Why is the Axis inappropriate for someone 38?

Maybe he feels its a "young mans" boat and thinks that the classic boat lines (like a VLX or Supra 21v) would suit his style/age more?

cwb4me 09-30-2012 6:11 AM

I think the Axis would work for owners of all ages.It seems that the OP or his wife didn't care for the styling of it. All the pickle fork boats have a little different design,perhaps that's why the RZR is still in the running. It must have passed the visual test. I personally like the lines of the A22. I think Tige has hit the nail on the head with their gel coat options,as well as graphics. Customers can make their boat more of a one of a kind boat. It also accentuates the lines of the boat. The Axis has good looking lines also,but the market they are after is the core wakeboarder. Therefore they don't offer the gel coat options and bling of other boats.They do however have awesome wakeboard wakes and great plug-n-play ballast options.

boardman74 09-30-2012 6:56 AM

Was just saying the Axis has a distinct style. That style is much more modern and more progressive. It is more targeted at a younger audience. Not saying there is an age limit or if its wrong that someone at 38 owns one or likes it. Any boat is a matter of style as well as function. Here in the midwest I just don't think that style is selling as well as say the west coat. There's just stuff about the boat I don't like. I'm on a budget and it fits into the budget, but just not sure about the style and how the boat is put together. We don't like the playpen bows regardless of the brand, Don't like the windshield or the tower. Don't like the open under the seats or the floor or the tamini matt. I just don't think it's the boat for us, but the wife will look at it probably tomorrow. Not saying that it's not a good boat or that it has an age limit. Just not for me!!

I know they are great boats and that they build a great wake. I'm sure this one is killer with 3000+ in ballast right out the door.