WakeWorld

WakeWorld (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/index.php)
-   Archive through May 22, 2006 (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=329511)
-   -   Tie Downs (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/showthread.php?t=326764)

eubanks01 05-15-2006 12:18 PM

How many of you use tie downs? We tow a significant amount but never use them. I was just wondering how many people do and do not use them these days.

wakeworld 05-15-2006 12:22 PM

I believe there is a federal law that requires loads to be tied down. So if you don't have the tied downs, you could get ticketed.

peter_c 05-15-2006 12:29 PM

Once we had to switch marinas at the Delta so I did not bother tying my boat down for the one mile ride up river. I watched my boat jump at least 8 inches off the trailer. NEVER again did that happen. First off what if your bow strap breaks? Had it happen to me, and my strap was not that worn (Became habit after that to cut the first two feet off my strap every year and re-tie it). Then nothing is holding your boat onto the trailer. Even if you use a Boat Buddy you are supposed to release it before towing. Please use your tie downs for your boats safety and others around you.

eubanks01 05-15-2006 12:34 PM

The boat sliding off the trailer is not a huge concern because we always use a safety chain in addition to the bow strap. I think that is a must whether you use tie downs or not. <BR> <BR>We used to always use tie downs on our previous boat (i/o) but have never done so yet with the Malibu. It's nice to not have to mess with it and the boat doesn't seem to bounce at all...maybe because it's heavier??. It seems that it would be obviously safer with them but I just didn't know if they were truely necessary though.

showtime 05-15-2006 12:37 PM

most newer boat have drive-on trailers, w/ a winch/strap. however this will not keep the rear from "bouncing". i have never used them on my current boat --really don't see the need. but if i was transporting a long distance i may snug up the transom to the trailer... my .02

bbeach 05-15-2006 12:45 PM

I am amazed at how many inboard owners don't tie down thier boats when transporting... Its like somewhere along the line it became uncool or something... I had a friend recently wreck her trailer and the only thing that kept her boat from coming off was the bridge that it bounced off of during the accident... Put a nice little scratch down the side. Had it been strapped down it probably just would have damaged the trailer...

dudeman 05-15-2006 12:46 PM

I use the boat buckles and they are pretty sweet but then I have to tow 40 minutes. Like Peter said I watched my boat bounce and the bow strap gave 2 inches. The boat buckles are around $60 a pair and retract with the push of a button. Very nice and worth every penny if you have to tow any distance. Beats a hull repair

denverd1 05-15-2006 12:54 PM

always strapped. i was coming out of the storage place and clipped a curb. had the boat bounce hard enough to break a worn out transom strap. 'nuff said - now she stays strapped down with new straps. and I tow 7 miles to the launch. the weight of the boat is probably 70-80% of whats back there, trailer being the other 20-30%. anytime a good bump could move that much weight around, it gets strapped.

guido 05-15-2006 12:55 PM

Seriously.... I don't tow far often (usually from storage to water which is about 200ft), but when I do tow further I always tie my boat down. I know it doesn't happen often, but when I was a little kid we got hit by a drunk driver going the opposite direction of us. When all was said and done the bow strap broke and one rear tie down broke. The boat was sitting about 1/4 of the way up the nose of the trailer and almost resting on the back of our car. The other rear tie down was the only thing that stopped it from going furhter. That tie down was soo tight it had to be cut to be removed. Personally I'm not that into testing my luck. I'd prefer to keep my boat on the trailer in case of an accident. Besides, how long does it really take? Maybe 30 seconds on and 30 seconds off.

deuce 05-15-2006 1:02 PM

I tie down....

jeff359 05-15-2006 1:10 PM

I live a mile away from the ramp, I tie.

ebone66 05-15-2006 1:34 PM

I don't tie down. Sounds like I should. What's a good site to go to for tie downs. Are they universal?

zachr 05-15-2006 1:43 PM

I do. It just seems stupid not to. They are cheaper than other stuff people put on boats, and much better investment. Also, like said, it takes maximum 30 seconds to put them on or take them off. For how simple they are, and what they offer, I don't get why people don't use them, regardless of how short of a distance they tow the boat.

ebone66 05-15-2006 1:43 PM

Nevermind. Decided I could put forth the effort to type it in to google.

eubanks01 05-15-2006 2:02 PM

Anyone know where to find the retractable ones that bolt onto your trailer?

dgoose 05-15-2006 2:09 PM

I always have and always will use tie downs. It only takes 30 sec to put them on or off. If I was only going 1/4mile under 20mph then I wouldn't.

bbeach 05-15-2006 2:44 PM

<a href="http://www.basspro.com/servlet/catalog.SubClass?hvarDept=200&amp;hvarEvent=&amp;h varClassCode=4&amp;hvarSubCode=3&amp;cmid=MALN_OS_ BOATTRAILERACC_TIRESTIREACCESSORIESTIEDOWNS" target="_blank">http://www.basspro.com/servlet/catalog.SubClass?hvarDept=200&amp;hvarEvent=&amp;h varClassCode=4&amp;hvarSubCode=3&amp;cmid=MALN_OS_ BOATTRAILERACC_TIRESTIREACCESSORIESTIEDOWNS</a> <BR>

chevboy171 05-15-2006 3:14 PM

I always tie down my 19' i/o, but i use to work at a boat shop where we'd have to transport 25-30 foot lake yachts and never tied the transom down. Some may think that is dumb but the owner of the boat shop knew what he was doing, had been doing it for years, and never had any problems. The boats wouldn't budge at all on the trailer over a 120 mile trip.

heem 05-15-2006 5:59 PM

$40,000+ for a boat-it gets tied down for any travel.

crracer 05-15-2006 6:06 PM

I haven't used them either....ive thought about it many times, Dave and I have even talked about it but i still haven't acted. I guess its time. <BR>Thanks world lol <BR> <BR>Any MC owners out there have any suggestions, name and where to buy? <BR> <BR>(Message edited by crracer on May 15, 2006)

nickdakoolkat 05-15-2006 7:41 PM

We don't use tie downs because we only travel 30 seconds to get tot the lake. But if we go somewhere away from our home lake we definately tie down.

pittsy 05-15-2006 8:22 PM

I tie down for trips over 5 miles