WakeWorld

WakeWorld (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/index.php)
-   Wakeboarding Discussion (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Head Injury (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/showthread.php?t=781449)

jclay5 07-09-2010 11:43 AM

Head Injury

Has anyone ever heard of this happening?

Yesterday evening my wife and I went wakeboarding and my wife was first up for a set. She was edging down the wake on her heelside and leaned forward catching her front edge resulting in her face planting hard to the water... She was pretty shaken up and when we got her in the boat everything seemed fine until we noticed blood in her hair... It turned out to be about 3 inch long gash on the top of her head right on her part. The gash was bad enough to require 6 staples in her head.... I just found it crazy that it happened because I saw her fall forward and do a face plant and her head definitely did not hit her board or the handle.... The only thing I can think of is that the force of her hitting the water was so hard that it pulled on both sides of her hair and split her head open right at the part... Just thought I'd share...

07-09-2010 11:49 AM

Haha yea it happened to me I got 8 staples... Exact same way except when It hit my head my whole left side of my body went paralyzed and my left eye went black.. Scariest thing ever... then it all came back around 15 seconds later and that alone just made me that happiest kid in the world haha besides the fact it looked like a shark bit my leg off in the water... I put my hand up to my head in shock right when it hit it and there wasjust blood everywhere... Just a freak accident man I myself am the only one who has know this is happen to with the "scoprion" hit ( what i like to call it ) but now it looks like I just added your wife to my list haha

I would def say her board hit her with the scorpion effect but it was just so fast she didnt even feel it.. the only way I felt mine was because my paralyzed body I knew I rocked my head otherwise it was numb as can be... my gash was from my temple all the way back to the nape of my neck ( right side ) .. i had to flaps of skin and apparently you could see my skull .. it was so funny though I asked my dad how bad it was and he said "its not that bad " ( trying to make me feel better ) my mom met us at the hospital she said let me see.... Holy Shi# haha I knew it was bad after that

07-09-2010 11:51 AM

If that doesn't scream Helmet don't know what does. I did that on Wednesday exactly. Caught front edge just doing stupid easy ass surface 180 and wham planted my face in the water. Thought I lost and eyeball.....lucky I didn't or I would be even more ugly. Anyway helmet was sittin in the damn boat. Although it may not have helped me or her I think we both should have been wearing one. I have one and wear it alot when learning. Just didn't want it on that time. I think maybe her hair could have done it, but another thing it could have been something under the water and at impact she had no clue she hit something else besides water cuz that stuff hurts anyway.

Get her a helmet she will feel better.

bmartin 07-09-2010 12:19 PM

As I was reading I thought for sure the story would end with your wife acting goofy asking the same questions over and over. I had to swim over to a young lady after she caught her front edge and was concussed pretty bad but no open head wounds. Glad for you guys your wife wasn't concussed. Nothing good about stitches or concussions but would rather have to deal with stitches. Good luck and stay safe.

dadthedriver 07-09-2010 12:22 PM

See it happen more to the ladies then the men. I think it is because they are more flexible then most guys so they really get the Scorpion effect going when they faceplant.

lsukuntryboy 07-09-2010 12:34 PM

I learned a valuable lesson the other day involving a injury to my head. but mine was due to me bein a dumbass. We were riding on the river and there was a navigation bouy laid up on the beach about half in the water. I had just ollied a no wake bouy and had a case of the big head about my ollies. so i slid over and ollied the bouy and when i landed i felt the boat slide on the sand a little. well bein a long beach with a cove in it, i thought you could slide on the sand till it goes into the cove than cut back out to the boat. when i started up on the beach, the board went about a foot into the sand and stopped dead. i went rolling down the beach still in the bindings. Its amazing i didnt break anything or tear something. I came up laughin so hard i was almost cryin. but that was this past saturday morning and i still have a damn headache.

wake77 07-09-2010 2:57 PM

Jon, we had a 16 year old kid have almost the same thing happen a couple of weeks ago. He went W2W and nose dived the other side. His body hit the water and made a thud that I have never heard before (I have participated in recreational watersports for over 20 years). I knew he was wrecked, and when we circled back, he climbed onto the platform and had blood in his face. He had a gash (not as serious as your wife's), and all I can think is his head hit the board during the fall or right after.

Your wife almost certainly did not have enough speed for water to gash her head, so my guess is the board hit her head or she hit something in the water. A fall like that can leave the rider disoriented and much can happen without realizing hit.

hyperlite 07-13-2010 12:06 PM

agreed....theres a variable there