WakeWorld

WakeWorld (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/index.php)
-   Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3183)
-   -   2013 Centurion Elite V C4...thoughts? (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/showthread.php?t=799207)

icehawk21 07-22-2013 7:22 AM

2013 Centurion Elite V C4...thoughts?

Just looking for general thoughts on the 2013 Centurion Elite V C4. I'm considering purchasing this boat as a first-time buyer. I'm getting a very good price that is not much more than the used boats available in my area so I'm considering pulling the trigger after a lake test this week.

It will be a general family-use boat - tubing, cruising and some watersports as the kids get older. I'm too old to start wakeboarding so I will generally wakesurf and might do some basic skiing (2 skis, not slalom). Generally will only have 4 of us on board (me, wife, 2 kids) but occasionally 8-10 (4 kids, 4 parents, 2 grand-parents) - although this won't be often, maybe once a year.

How would the Elite fare - especially for wakesurfing? Not looking for a pro-sized wave, just something fun that me and kids can grow with over the next 5-8 years. I'd like to keep this boat for awhile as opposed to trading up in a few years - hence why I might purchase a new boat. I'm not adverse to upgrading the ballast - especially in the rear lockers that are already plumbed and included a 250# sac in each. Likely will upgrade to 750# sacs in each locker and perhaps something under the surf seats/bow.

I do have a chance to purchase a 2010 Supra Sunsport 20V (~50 hrs and like new) for about 2-4k less. It's smaller and I don't think it would be as good for wakesurfing - but what do others think?

Thanks!

Bryan

h20king 07-22-2013 11:22 AM

The elite v can make a great surf wave but will feel cramped with that many people in the boat. you will need a 750 in the rear locker at least 300 LBS under the surf side seat and 300 LBS in the bow and you will have a real nice wave

icehawk21 07-22-2013 3:16 PM

Thanks for the reply. I'm getting the same info from the CenturionCrew forum that a 750# is necessary in the locker as well as some additional weight below the surf side seats.

I don't anticipate having many more than 4 people in the boat (me, wife & 2 kids) most of the time. 90% it will just be us - and the odd time we might get up to 8-10. I can live with cramped for those odd times. I didn't want to get a 23-24 ft. boat right out of the gate.

How's the freeboard when it's weighted down like this?

Any other thoughts on the Centurion Elite V C4? And how would it compare to a 2010 Supra Sunsport 20v (aside from being a bit bigger)?

Thanks!

polarbill 07-22-2013 4:00 PM

I think the Elite V will suit your needs great based off of your OP. The boat is somewhat dated at this point(width, freeboard, long continuous model) but is also a solid and simple boat that rides great in rough water, surfs well, has lots of storage, etc...

Does the boat have the hydraulic trim plate? That is something I would want for sure. Again it should be a very simple boat that will be easy to customize how you want.

As for how it compares to a supra 20V the 20V is probably more plush but probably isn't as deep feeling inside the boat. Also I would bet the elite V is much better in rough water and a better surf boat than the Supra.

h20king 07-22-2013 4:06 PM

I have a couple elite v mini enzo sacks I would part with if you go with the elite v

icehawk21 07-22-2013 4:43 PM

Yes - the boat has the hydraulic trim plate (Lenzo tab) as well as the pro ballast package which adds plumbed in fat sacs (switch, valves, pumps and 2 250# sacs) in the rear lockers. First thing I'll do is replace the 250# sacs with 750# sacs and consider adding a sac under surf side seat. Actually just got off phone with wakemakers.com and that's what they proposed.

The 20V did seem a bit more plush but the Elite was no slouch. Pretty comparable with a slight nod to the Supra. But I much preferred the Elite's Gladiator tower and it's lines than that of the 20V. Elite is also a touch bigger in the cabin. Anecdotaly, I figure the Elite would surf better but I can't say - which is why I posed the question :)

Harold - what are the dimensions of the mini enzo sacs? Where would they go? Locker, surf seat?

polarbill 07-22-2013 5:04 PM

The enzo sacks are the L shaped one's that fill the rear lockers and have a piece that slide under the side seats. It is basically like having a big sack in each rear compartment and an addition sack under the seats on each side but getting it all out of one sack. That might be a great option. The other thing I would consider is getting the biggest possible sacks for the rear(maybe 750# sacks are but I would verify that) and then wait for the new Ronix sacks to come out and just use that on the whatever side you want to. I would also consider an integrated bow sack to piggy back off the stock center tank although that would help any side to side weight.

xstarrider 07-22-2013 5:26 PM

The Elite V would suit your needs perfectly. IT will surf much better than the 20V

IF you have hopped inside both boats without a doubt the Elite V has much more freeboard . The 20V is a lower profile boat in the Supra line. IT does not follow the same suit as the 21V or new 22SSV. IT is much more along the lines of the pre 2013 Moomba LSV style. The nose is low and the seats are not very deep feeling.
The gunwales are also lower to the water.

The Elite V C4 as mentuoned has been around a long time with not much updating except some bling, and gadgets. Its hull is a proven all around great boat. IT wakeboards and surfs well. Its not "the best" at either, but def above average in that aspect. The wakes are steep with great pop when properly weighted, the surf wave has a long pocket for its size and pumps up to a great size with some added weight.

I will probably get flamed here in about 20 seconds by all the big boy, big 3, chest thumpers, but hands down Centurion build process builds one of the the most rock solid hulls around Their reverse shoebox construction, the added reinforcements in the bow walkthrough area (seen and unseen) make it one of the best rough water rides on the market with the deep v style of their hulls. The downside to the deep v hull that runs all the way to the transom is weight sensitivity side to side. So when it comes to wakeboarding you really have to pay attention to where people are sitting. You have to have the boat balanced properly. The upside is this hull cuts though chop like butter, throws a steep poppy wakeboard wake with minimal ballast, and surfs bigger than it is.

The 20V is a great boat as well. I just think side by side the size, ride, and surf capabilities of the Elite V C4 will push it ahead.and you mentioned all of those in your post. I also think the PCM powerplant in the Centurions is a bit better than the Indmar. Thats a Chevy vs Ford argument tho I guess as its kind of more personal opinion. Both are strong. I also think the snapout carpet in the C4 pushes it ahead Makes cleaning a snap.

h20king 07-22-2013 7:11 PM

ill have to measure again but the sacks fill the rear locker and have a leg that runs to the end of the first seat in the cabin. If I remember right they come in at just under 1100 LBS per sac

icehawk21 07-23-2013 12:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by h20king (Post 1835089)
I have a couple elite v mini enzo sacks I would part with if you go with the elite v

Thanks! I'll let you know if I'm interested after I've had some time with the boat. Cheers!

icehawk21 07-23-2013 9:52 PM

2013 Centurion Elite V C4 - My Newbie Review

Just thought I'd provide a bit of an update...but first, thanks for all the info! I lake tested the boat tonight with a friend of mine (and his wife) that has much more experience than I do - which isn't hard since I've never owned or really driven a boat! I wanted his general opinion on the boat and wanted him to surf behind it as well so that I wasn't just relying on my opinion alone.

Anyways, the lake test went really well. My friend surfs goofy but the dealer had set it up for regular - had already filled the port locker ballast and setup the rudder accordingly. Also - the dealer had brought an 1000-1100# sac to replace the stock 250# sac. Took some time to switch and fill, which gave me a bit of time to assess the boat.

General thoughts...
◾Seemed to surf quite well even on the goofy side- especially with the extra weight. We probably had it filled to 500-600# so we could still likely fill even more. My buddy was using a brand new board and he was able to drop the rope and stay in the pocket. I'm not a good judge of the surf wave but my buddy liked it well enough and commented that it should be a great boat to surf behind (he rides a 2008 Sanger V215). The dealer also mentioned that it would surf better on the regular side due to the prop rotation and rudder setup. So I think this boat should be more than enough for my needs (and my family's needs) for wake-surfing
◾I would likely purchase the larger bag upfront. Dealer is suggesting the 1000# sac (even though it might not completely fill). He didn't think I would need any additional weight under the surf-side seats but could always add later.
◾The boat looks extremely sharp on the water. I'll post pics when I get the chance. My buddy said the red stripe on the black side shone off the setting sun when we were turning to pick him up - thought it looked cool. I love the tower and the lines of the boat. Only issue with the tower is that the tower speaker is low enough for me to hit my head - something I'll need to watch out for.
◾I like the micro-touch vision lcd display - very cool and modern. I'm in IT and this speaks to me!
◾Rode extremely smooth through the water. Water wasn't choppy but we did test driving through our own wake to test it's handling. My buddy and his wife (she drive's their most of the time) both commented that it drove very smoothly.
◾The trim tab is quite noticeable at adjusting how high/low the bow sits in the water, and how easy it is to adjust to cut through chop. Would have to play with this for different driving conditions but it was noticeably different.
◾I like that it doesn't have a ski pylon and that any towing (tubes, skiing) would be off the transom. One less thing for my son to fall and crack his head on!
◾Big open sundeck/platform on the back engine/lockers. My daughter will love that!
◾One thing that I did notice was that the freeboard was a bit lower than I'd ideally like. I wish it did have a bit more freeboard. It's similar to my buddy's Sanger, though, so shouldn't be too much of a problem. Just wish it was a bit higher/deeper. But the seating was comfortable, including the driver's seat. Didn't really test out the open bow.
◾Also noticed that the boat is sensitive to weight. Weighing down the rear locker with 500-600# and sitting everyone on the starboard side behind the driver definitely lists the boat to the side. Which obviously helps with the wake - water was up to the rub rail - but doesn't help with the lower freeboard. I will definitely need to watch my young kids on that side. However - we didn't take any water over the side of the boat. Sundeck did get wet but nothing inside the cabin.

Anyways, my overall impression was very positive. Keep in mind that I don't really have much to compare it against with my limited experience, but the boat test and my friend's impressions were enough to convince me that this boat will be a great family boat for a first-time owner that should provide many years & hours of boating enjoyment. I'm going to finalize the purchase tomorrow and then do a thorough lake demo and 'training' session with the dealer on Thursday night (with my wife) - and then get it out on the lake this weekend!

If anyone is interested, I can try and post some pics when I get the chance.

Thanks again for all the information. Now I need to buy all the extra gear, like a surfboard, ropes, buoys, & safety equipment!

Cheers!

Bryan

dezul 07-24-2013 4:12 AM

Good luck Bryan. I have a 2006 Centurion Elite C4 and it is a good boat. The wakeboard wake cleans up at 23 mph with the trim tab set at 25%.

My suggestion since this is your first boat, get to the ramp early cause it may take you a couple of tries to back it in right. Remember ramp etiquette and don't hog the launch area.