WakeWorld

WakeWorld (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/index.php)
-   Non-Wakeboarding Discussion (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=4387)
-   -   Moving to Phoenix (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/showthread.php?t=791201)

flattirenotube 12-20-2011 1:46 PM

Moving to Phoenix

So I got a call today, and my company wants me to move to Phoenix and wanted to see if I could get some info out of everyone. My whole life is in CO, entire family, friends etc, so I am really hesitant about making the move. What is Phoenix like? Where are the good places to live (rent, condo, loft, etc.)? I am 28, single, and enjoy going out. How hard is it to meet people and make new friends? Basically would be going in completely blind. The project would be at Sky Harbour, and would like to not deal with commuting too much, as I've heard the traffic is bad. Any advice/info is much appreciated.

12-20-2011 2:03 PM

1. I would estimate that at least 75% of the people who live in AZ are not from AZ.
2. The weather is pure HELL in the summer, you basically move from AC to AC and the only time regular people spend outside in the summer is at the lake or up north. My sister wore pot holders here first summer here in the car.
3. The lakes are crazy with idiots!
4. People are generally easy to meet, but finding "quality" people is difficult.
5. Drugs are everywhere it seems.
6. The greater Phoenix valley is more like a huge suburb than a city and there are tons of great neighborhoods and bad neighborhoods too.
7. Traffic can be bad during rush hour. The trick here is to live in the opposite direction that the traffic is going. In the morning the routes into Phoenix and Scottsdale can be parking lots, in the afternoon the routes away from these places to Tempe, Scottsdale, Mesa, Glendale, etc.. can be parking lots. Just make sure your commute is going the opposite direction. (25% of the people in AZ have their real estate license, including me, you should be able to get good help easily).
8. We have some of the hottest women living here and you will have a good time here.

What else do you want to know?

colorider 12-20-2011 9:25 PM

I visit my parents in Scottsdale a lot in the winter. I gotta say, the ladies of phoenix and the area are amazing.!!!!! Housing seems like a full on bargain right now.. I have been there in the summer and have to say I would NOT want to put up with the heat. But I am also tired of the CO cold. Young and single and a job offer..,........ NO Brainer. Make the move.

durty_curt 12-20-2011 10:45 PM

make the move and find a place in Tempe.which is the heart of ASU. From there you will plenty of paces to go out and meet college chicks.also Tempe is really close to sky harbor. (zip codes 85281 & 85282 of Tempe are the closest to airport.) South Scottsdale zip code 85257 is close to airport as well. But its considered the hood part of Scottsdale.

phatboypimp 12-21-2011 9:28 AM

I can not comment on AZ specifically but I moved from WA to CA when I was single and 30 (10 years ago). I highly recommend the move away from where you are comfortable. I think you will be amazed at what you cherish and what you do/don't miss. Although there are many people who have made more severe moves in their life I think it is great for character building.

A couple thoughts......

Making new friends (particularly good friends) as an adult is difficult especially when you don't know anyone. This proved to be one of the biggest hurdles for me and I am a type-A extrovert.
I took a lot of Seattle for granted while I was there. The closeness of the water and mountains was something I thought everyone had.
I didn't do the research on the real cost of living because I just wanted out. Although AZ is much different that CO make sure you understand the real estate market and tax laws - those hit me the worst.
I have grown a lot since being on my own without any friends in a new area. I also have a much better appreciation for who my real friends are in Seattle. It was a little rough in the beginning but it was a couple WakeWorlders that made all the difference for me.
I would not change a thing....it has been am amazing experience and I am so glad I did it. Not to mention I have thrived professionally in CA and I know that was not going to happen in WA.

dakid 12-21-2011 9:48 AM

i moved to the phx area in july...right smack in the middle of summer. let me tell you; it was hotter than hell! adjusting to that wasn't that bad though. sure, you go from ac to ac in the summer, but it's supposed to be in the mid-60s today...so i guess it works out.

i live in tempe, which is about 15mins from sky harbour...probably 20mins during commute hours. where i live in tempe is pretty quiet, close to shopping, freeway, parks/dog park, gas, etc., but not too close to lakes (about 1hr to saguaro). you'll learn that to phoenicians, if it's more than 15mins away, it's far. anyway, the area's pretty safe that i don't worry too much about my car being parked outside.

traffic here isn't that bad. unfortunately, i'm comparing phx traffic to socal, norcal & seattle traffic, which are all hideous compared to phx. bad traffic to people here means if it normally takes you 30mins to get from point a to point b, it might take you 45mins instead.

flattirenotube 12-21-2011 10:29 AM

Thanks for all of the response guys. I guess the thing that makes me most nervous is leaving my very close knit small group of friends back home. I worry about finind a new group of friends and having something to do on weekends besides sitting home and watching TV. I am not an introvert so as long as people are nice and friendly I get along pretty well. I have been looking at the Tempe area. I will most likely end up in a loft or apartment in the area since I don't really have the furniture for a whole house. Also, don't have a boat unfortunately, so maybe I could meet up with some of you guys to ride. Again I appreciate the help and if you have any more advice or info I appreciate it. Also, it will only be for 2 years at the most, so I will probably just rent in lieu of buying.

bruizza 12-21-2011 6:40 PM

I can't comment on Phoenix however I have twice in my adult life picked up and moved to a place where I knew no one. The second time I did it I left Nashville and moves to the Denver area. It doesn't take long to make some new friends and eventually you will end up with a good crew. Both times it was one of the best decisions I ever made. I highly recommend making the move especially since it is only for 2 years. Plus flights are cheap and short between Phoenix and Denver so you will be able to come back to CO and visit often.

baitkiller 12-21-2011 6:47 PM

Shut up and pack.
Lucky bstrd

single, young, job, Phoenix. Got em by the short hairs now son.

flattirenotube 12-22-2011 6:56 AM

Haha, thanks Bait. I really do appreciate the advice. So as of now, I'm thinking of living in Tempe. It seems close to the airport and close to the type of lifestyle I want to live. I guess my snowboarding days are over for a bit, but I bet my golf game improves. Speaking of golf, does anyone know some good courses that aren't crazy expensive. I like to stay between $50-$100 for a round.