WakeWorld

WakeWorld (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/index.php)
-   Wakesurfing (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=87668)
-   -   Interesting article on import surfboards and the surfboard industry in general (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/showthread.php?t=782360)

timmyb 08-04-2010 9:51 AM

Interesting article on import surfboards and the surfboard industry in general

Stumbled across this article on surfboard manufacturing today, very interesting article on the surfboard industry. The article keeps talking about $300-$400 boards, HA! Wakesurfers were that much 2 years ago but now all of them are $600+. Not sure about real surfboards.
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/38472495...s-us_business/

RedRocket 08-08-2010 10:36 AM

Wanted to give you an idea from an ocean surfer perspective as the import pop-out part of the industry is not widely seen as a good thing by veteran surfers whose pockets are not benefiting.

My personal preference, 30 year short board surfer, is one of business so I can understand the individuals pursuing pop-out technology.

Veteran surfers/shapers find the pop-out technology a scourge. They do not want it and would like to see it disappear. Their reasons range from cheap board quality to not being able to fine tune shapes for surfers who know what they want from a board. There is some truth to what they are saying but certainly, it is being blown out of proportion.

I have primarily surfed on hand shaped boards shaped by professional shapers. A few years ago, I did purchase a epoxy Channel Island board and once I got used to it, thought it was a well crafted design and board. I have since sold the board. The board was difficult to get used to it at first, more buoyant and corky like float, but once I dialed it in, it was a blast to ride. I just felt it needed some very minor tweaking to be very suitable for my preferences...hence the need for custom built boards.

As for the reason I am responding to this thread? I find the information about pricing on the linked article absurd. There has not been a reduction in price on boards like the article suggests. Hand shaped or pop-out...the prices are about the same and in some instances, I have seen pop-out prices slightly higher. Last board I had custom shaped cost me $550. But keep in mind the shaper lives in Santa Barbara, me in Oregon, so the shipping fees were $75 and I also got a good quality padded board bag with the board. so, $550 - $75 - $50 = $425. An additional benefit is that I spent about an hour with the shaper on the phone nailing down the boards specifics. That is something that can't happen, except for a limited few professional sponsored wake surfers.

So, as you mentioned, you are seeing higher prices for wake surf boards. I would not expect those prices to drop and not buy into the information in that article.

BTW, I just joined this forum as I may be getting into the whole wake surf thing as my wife wants to move away from the cold Oregon coast to somewhere warmer. That does not bode well for me being able to surf outside limited surf trips. I am glad to see the wake surf community is alive and well.

brewkettle 08-08-2010 2:04 PM

Thanks for your thoughts RedRocket, and welcome aboard.

I also feel the same as you do.

caskimmer 08-09-2010 6:23 AM

For the most part the wakesurf industry is price gouging everyone. I have extensive knowledge of both the processes and costs involved in making boards and anything over $400-450 for an e-glass or $500-550 for a carbon board is overpriced.

Laker1234 08-09-2010 8:28 AM

Consider that the article comes from a liberal channel. With that said, the cost of a good surfboard is largely made up by the labor, It takes days, even weeks, to make one board if it's done right. Plus, US businesses' profits are limited by our taxing system and regulations by the EPA and so on. The manufacturing industries overseas are not as restricted as the US industries, so it's easier and cheaper to mass produce. From my experience, with the cost of resin, fiberglass cloth and taxes skyrocketing, in addition to the new health care mandates,, 400 dollars for a good board is not bad. When you read and see stories like these, remember that US corporations pay on the average somewhere around 40 percent in corporate taxes and with the new financial regulations that have been imposed, doing business in the US is going to be even tougher. Also, corporations are double taxed on thier profits. Until more investment is made to businesses and the tax structure redone, the costs will only go up from quailty US products if you can manage to stay in business.

timmyb 08-09-2010 8:54 AM

My point was that you can't find a good wakesurf board for $400 anymore, they are all $600+ which is getting a little out of hand if you can still buy a real ocean surfer from a custom shaper for $550.

wakemitch 08-09-2010 9:31 AM

Timmyb, Custom Shapers usually only sell direct so they can keep the price down a bit. But if the boards are also sold in shops their has to be mark up for the shop as well. And even if the manufacturer sells direct as well they would keep the shop price as to not hurt their dealers. But really the mark up is so low on that stuff, thats why you dont see real wakesurf boards in most shops. Why would a shop sell a custom board for $700+ when they can sell a $299 hyperlite and make the same profit for way less work trying to sell it. But good thing there are a few shops that do it

08-09-2010 9:43 AM

All our boards are custom, our prices are cheaper than the big "wakesurf " company's we have a pulse on the board industry, we use the newest & best materials , Our shaper has been making High performance boards for professional surfer's for over 20 years ,but we get no love from the Wakesurf industry .The average Wakesurf board is overpriced by $150 to $300 but you all run out by the same boards as so & so because he or she can copy & paste some thing they found on the internet to dazzle the consumer It's your dollar but you spend it the wrong places

timmyb 08-09-2010 9:47 AM

That makes sense Mitch, everyone wants their piece of the action and why do it if you aren't going to make at least $100 for your time.

joesell 08-09-2010 11:13 AM

J.L. What is the name of your company? I'm not trying to be a smart guy, I really don't know. I'd be interested in learning more about your boards, as would a lot of people on here.

08-09-2010 12:22 PM

Joe, the company is MOB boards

http://www.mobgroup.tv/wakesurfboards.html

Rick Rock shapes for MoB. Rock is an awesome shaper with alot of experience.

Their Module board is sure an interesting design.

RedRocket 08-09-2010 2:39 PM

Quote:

Joe, the company is MOB boards

http://www.mobgroup.tv/wakesurfboards.html

Rick Rock shapes for MoB. Rock is an awesome shaper with alot of experience.

Their Module board is sure an interesting design.
hehe, that's a name I haven't heard in a little while. Rick Rock used to shape out of San Clemente...not sure if he still does as I don't live there any longer. Rick Rock KNOWS his stuff.